1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Bigfoot moves to 4-packs

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by wcintula, Mar 21, 2012.

1. Agreed. For the record, I'm not complaining about the price before or after the increase. :)

2. hopsbreath

hopsbreath Savant (475) Oregon Aug 28, 2009

I'm all for it. The best deal in beer is still a pretty damn good one for $10 a 4-pack. I was paying that much for 4-packs of Founder's Imperial Stout, Old Curmudgeon, and Breakfast Stout a couple years ago. The fact that Sierra Nevada was able to keep Bigfoot cheaper per bottle for so long is really remarkable. I'll be first in line when they land in the new format.

3. fortsambo

fortsambo Savant (250) Colorado Feb 14, 2011

This was inevitable, and something that won't make too many people upset at all.

4. oneeye

oneeye Savant (260) Pennsylvania Feb 17, 2007

I remember when you could walk into a store and the only 4-packs available were either Belgians or imports. I think the first craft beer I bought packaged in a 4-pack was Founders KBS. Soon after the trend was in place and it's true the 4-pack replaced the 6-pack at the same price. At least where I live. That being said, $15 for a SIXER of Bigfoot at the local grocery store is still, a pretty good deal. But $45 for a case straight from the wholesaler is even a better deal.

5. Only if the distributor sells it to retailers at the same price. Although, I shouldn't speak for every other retailer.

6. UncleJimbo

UncleJimbo Site Editor (955) Massachusetts Sep 11, 2002 Staff Member

This is annoying news. I have a vertical going back many years of sixpacks. Now I will have to settle for 4 or buy 8. The same thing happened with my vertical of Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout. I am not a fan of this trend of 4-packs to sneak in price hikes.

Perhaps in the last year or two it was not making the brewery much money, but it was not "criminally" underpriced, unless you are comparing it to a large number of craft beers out there these days that are criminally overpriced. Stop the madness.

grantcty and ShogoKawada like this.
  7. So the average opinion is that it's going to cost the same for a 4 pack next year,
    as a 6 pack this year. Do I have this right? Does anyone really know for sure?

8. UncleJimbo

This is pretty much what always happens when a beer goes from sixpack to fourpack. Even if the brewery charges a little less for the fourpack, very often the distributor and/or the retailer makes sure to set the price the same as the former sixpack price.

9. colforbin73

colforbin73 Savant (310) California Mar 30, 2010

$50 for a case seems wrong. swear a six was 10.99 last time i bought....

if the 4pak was 7.99 than yes, (like hop rod rye -- one of the best 4pak deals... likewise old rasputin at 8.99) -- but yeah, if they keep selling it for 9 or 10.99/4 --- then not.

10. Anything regarding pricing is speculation at this point. That being said Sierra Nevada is consistantly very fair on their pricing, so I would venture a guess that *IF* the pricing is suspect next year that it's more to due with your local distibutor or retailer.

11. bobv

bobv Advocate (515) Vermont Feb 3, 2009

Talked to our Sierre Rep and he said the Hoptimum 4-pack is the first of their new series of 4-packs including the Ovila collabs. Hopefully that includes some or all of their 30th Anniversary offerings as well.

12. azureoval

azureoval Savant (425) California Jan 25, 2010

If Sierra Nevada can keep Bigfoot around the price that Hoptimum is at right now ( 8.99 ) I don't see too much of a difference in price per ounce. I paid 11.99 for a sixer tonight so that is about 1.99 per. The 4 pack would be 2.25 per.

13. TheFlern

TheFlern Savant (385) Idaho May 9, 2009

Yeah, this is not a move that I approve of. I'm assuming that 2012 will finish out with bigfoot in six packs. In 2013 I will send a message to SN telling them why I will not be buying any bigfoot in 4 packs. They probably wont care but I know damn sure they don't need the extra money so this is a move that I cannot explain other than greed.

14. Those greedy brewers and their get rich quick schemes. That's it, I'm swearing off beer!!!

"I just wanted to pop on here and explain the rationale of why we are making the move. Bigfoot for years has been under priced, as in, for years we have been making zero, or very close to zero dollars on that beer because as commodities (barley/hops/gas) have gone up in price, we’ve kept the price of Bigfoot the same.
    This year, (2012) sadly, we were forced to increase the price. Believe me, we don’t enjoy it either. Doing the math, another price increase was set for next year, and probably the year after too. We have been trying to come up with a way to balance out the costs of these higher gravity products…The option we found the least offensive was to drop the 6 packs into four packs and lower the price-per-carton. Additionally, we will brew MORE Bigfoot to keep up with the ever increasing demand, and make it more available for a longer period of time."

15. Did anyone even read the article? Typical BA paranoia.

16. It seems most of the posts in this thread assume that the price of the 2013 4-packs of Bigfoot will be equal to what a 6-packs sells for now, even thought Bill (sierranevadabill here on BA) Manley's quote in the original link specifically says the opposite:

"The option we found the least offensive was to drop the 6 packs into four packs and lower the price-per-carton."

In other words, tho' the price per bottle and per case will go up to cover past and projected rises in material costs, it will not be the 50% increase some have suggested above. Moving to a 4-pack is just a way to make the increase easier to accept for the consumer and have the price of the "package" more inline with many other barleywines.

IceAce likes this.
  17. I'm not a fan of 4 packs, but I can live with it, I usually by Bigfoot by the case anyway.
    Sierra is one solid brewery, always great beer and great pricing. There are people that
    are ready to stop buying it because they are moving to a 4 pack? Their verticals are
    messed up because they can't figure out how to make 6 out of 8? Build a bridge.....

18. can't believe anyone supports this......when you get less for the same amount, you lose

19. IceAce

IceAce Advocate (560) California Jan 8, 2004

Wow...anybody remember when Anchor stopped using 7 oz bottles for Old Foghorn and went to 12 oz? (I'm pretty sure it was '05)

[​IMG]

Funny thing was, they did it because the 7 oz bottles became more expensive than the 12's, so we received an additional 5 oz per bottle...and the price remained the same!

That said, however, Bigfoot has been relatively slow to react to the pricing market and the move to 4-packs is a sign of the times. As a result, I'll support them either way.

20. According to sierranevadabill, the Sierra Nevada Brewing Co. has been getting less - less barley malt, less hops, less fuel - yet paying the same amount for several years.

It's sort of unrealistic to think that any company can continue to see it's own raw material costs and other expenses go up and yet maintain it's prices to it's distributors or not raise the suggested retail price for consumers.

kingjames1 likes this.
  21. ewright

ewright Savant (440) North Carolina Oct 25, 2007

It's called inflation. Where's your outrage over the new 59 oz Orange Juice containers?

Given the huge increases in overall beer prices in the past few years, Bigfoot has rather lagged behind the pack. SN is finally to the point they have to raise the prices or stop making Bigfoot. I know which option I prefer.

22. Blueribbon666

Blueribbon666 Advocate (525) Ohio Jul 4, 2008

I remember the good ole days of getting Celebrator & St. Ambroise Oatmeal Stout in 6 pack form, still get 'em today even slimmed down to 4 too good to pass up when I have a taste for it.

23. I totally understand why SN has to raise the price and I don't fault them for doing so at all. But I would so much rather pay more for a 6 pack next year than have them switch to 4 packs. I really like to cellar Bigfoot: a six pack seems like the perfect amount to do so, but a 4 pack seems like too few. Looks like I will be buying two 4 packs next year.

24. Well, for the longest time, a 6-pack of Sammy Doppelbock was like $6-7 (and cases could be had for anywhere from $18 to $22). Then they went to 4-packs for $10.99. Bigtime WTF!?!

As for the 'Foot, snagged a case for $39.99 today, so I won't bitch toooo much...

Prosit!!

IceAce likes this.
  25. SADB also went from 7.5% abv (in the early '90's) to the current 9.5% abv for the "Imperial Series" beer.

26. biking4beer

biking4beer Savant (385) Colorado Oct 5, 2006

Sad to hear it since this one of the only beers I buy by the case. I know people don't like the price change, but you have to account for increased cost of supplies somehow.

27. UncleJimbo

These 4-packs will appear in 2013. Let's wait and see what a case sells for then. o_O

28. ewright

ewright Savant (440) North Carolina Oct 25, 2007

Hopefully there will be more to go around next year. I can usually find sixers for a couple months after release. This year, two days after release, I bought the ONLY sixer I've seen this year. Hope this doesn't turn into another beer with limited allocations.

29. 4balance

4balance Initiate (0) Dec 11, 2011

I love Bigfoot and will buy it in 6 or 4 packs, whatever they offer. Glad to have it, makes me want one now after reading this thread…

dsal89 and Bitterbill like this.
  30. SHODriver

SHODriver Savant (455) Louisiana Aug 13, 2010

as long as it doesn't cost as much as a four pack of bourbon county I will not complain.

yeah, I went there.

31. UncleJimbo

I don't know where people are getting this "$10 per sixpack" number. I just checked my receipt from 2/24/12, and I paid $13.99 plus $0.30 deposit for a sixpack of Bigfoot.

32. stayclean

stayclean Savant (360) Wisconsin Mar 17, 2012

Here in Milwaukee (and assuming the rest of WI) 6-packs are generally $10.50 or so.

33. Gabany

Gabany Aficionado (110) Feb 29, 2012

Terrible move by Sierra Nevada. I will NOT pay the same for 4 beers as I am paying for 6 now.

34. This sucks. Of course, being here in PA where I can only get it by the case, this won't be much of a big deal for me.

35. Better not go to the gas station...(where I'm paying more for 1 gallon than I once paid for 10).

DelicateDelirium and tronester like this.
  36. Gabany

Gabany Aficionado (110) Feb 29, 2012

touche...=P

tronester likes this.
  37. Bigfoot has been steadily increasing from a $10 six pack to a $15 six pack in my area in the last 4-5 years. It has been ptr (price to retail) that has been increasing too - not just retailers.

38. Gordon's is asking about $53 this year - up from the $48 I paid last year.
    Berman's case price was $50.51 - They did not raise the price this year.
    Colonial spirits quoted me $56 last year, gotta be close to $60 this year I would think.

39. maltmaster420

maltmaster420 Savant (450) Oregon Aug 17, 2005

I wonder if that has more to do with shipping/fuel prices more than anything else. I just ran a sales history out of curiosity, and the price stayed the same from 2007-2009, had a $2.50/case price increase for the 2010 batch, and has held steady at that price since then. According to the inflation calculator I just played with, it hasn't even kept up with the rate of inflation during the last 5 years, so I have no reason to doubt them when they say they're not making much money on it these days.

edit: considering the move to create a 4pk "seasonal" program out of Hoptimum, Bigfoot, the Imperial Stout, and (possibly) some of the Ovila beers, I would assume that they'll all start carrying the same UPC codes and have the same wholesale cost. When you're the size of SN and you have placements in pretty much every grocery store in the country you do everything you possibly can to keep the giant chains like Kroger happy, and the best way to do that is to make sure that when one seasonal runs out you have another one that can slot right into it's place without them having to change pricing info in their computer.

Long story short, barring any more price hikes in the next year, whatever you're paying for Hoptimum is likely to be the price of Bigfoot and the Imperial Stout.

40. 12 for a 6 pack in nh.