1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Bigfoot moves to 4-packs

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by wcintula, Mar 21, 2012.

1. I'm always amazed at the number of people on here who enjoy price increases and/or less beer for the same money. LOL, I mean obviously having 6 beers is better than having 4 beers. Obviously spending less money for your goods is better. There is no argument to be made. No no you guys are right, mo money mo problems, sure ok.

Me, I was never in love with bigfoot to begin with. So this change ensures I will never purchase it again.
    chuckstout likes this.
  2. stayclean

stayclean Savant (360) Wisconsin Mar 17, 2012

I'd say a brewery is entitled to profit SOMEWHAT off a beer they make.
    jchoffman likes this.
  3. maltmaster420

maltmaster420 Savant (440) Oregon Aug 17, 2005

Are you stupid, or just being obtuse? Nobody likes paying more for stuff, but some of us would like to see quality breweries like Sierra Nevada continue to grow and be profitable so that they don't go out of business. As far as you not purchasing any, that's fine, it just means there's more for the rest of us.
    Gosox8787 and jchoffman like this.
  4. bum732

bum732 Advocate (630) Lesotho Feb 18, 2008

not sure if trolling.
  5. ?? Of course they are entitled to make profits. I'm entitled to not enjoy watching the rapid extinction of the 6-pack.
  6. maltmaster420

maltmaster420 Savant (440) Oregon Aug 17, 2005

Overreact much? Out of the hundreds of different beers available in 6pks, only a tiny fraction have moved to 4pks. Frankly, I'd be surprised if anyone could list more than a dozen brands that have made the switch.
  7. Guys, I honestly realize that nobody likes to pay more for the things that they buy. Sierra Nevada included. We have to pay more for malt, and hops, and glass, and crowns, and water, and transportation, and the labor it takes to brew the beer and sadly, these increases add up to Bigfoot selling under profitability.

We also realize that four beers are less than six beers, but the thing is, in this scenario 6 Bigfoot for 10 dollars was/is not a sustainable option. 6-packs of Bigfoot for $15 would be a much more likely scenario. (both price points are hypothetical BTW...prices vary nationwide)

Instead of doing that, we think it's a little bit easier to take a lower per-carton price, rather than have a big jump on the 6-pack. Also, as someone stated above, this will now be part of a series which helps our bee find a spot at retail: Hoptimum, Imperial Stout and Bigfoot sharing the same slot in the cooler and price points to you.

We also realize there will be some backlash for this. We have always tried to be fair with pricing, and we've gone out of our way with several of our beers to deliver a reasonable price point, even if it meant we were actually loosing money on a certain item (Estate Ale for example.) Clearly, as a business this is not a sustainable option. Our employees have families too!:)

We're sorry if we've upset some folks, and we realize some people will no longer purchase Bigfoot. While we find this terribly sad, it is an inevitability that we've got to accept moving forward. We hope that in the coming years, fans of Bigfoot will be able to look past this necessary increase. Again, we're really sorry for the disappointment, but I'm afraid this is the only way.

Respectfully,

Bill Manley
  8. Uh, Imperial Stout? 4 packs?

Please, do share. . . what is this beer you speak of?
    jchoffman likes this.
  9. Patience, my friend, patience. Details to follow. On shelves this fall.
    Bluecane, acevenom and jchoffman like this.
  10. But the commercial said if my "condition" lasted for longer than 4 hours, to see a doctor. . . and you're asking me to wait until Fall for this undoubtedly awesome liquid that created this "condition" just a few minutes ago?

Well, if there's any brewery worth waiting for, its the one that busted my craft cherry. . .

On a total sidenote, cool dude brought a bottle of Sierra Nevada "Audition" Smoked Porter to a bottleshare I organized last week. . . put me down for "recommend" as another 4 pack release right next to the others, very good.
  11. jchoffman

jchoffman Aficionado (185) Georgia Jan 28, 2012

I was on the phone with a SN Sales person and he mentioned Imperial Stout as well.. made my mouth water! Looking forward to it....
  12. Gabany

Gabany Aficionado (110) Feb 29, 2012

Fair explanation, sir. Thank you.
  13. ewright

ewright Savant (440) North Carolina Oct 25, 2007

Screw patience! We talking something like the 30th anniversary imperial stout here? If so, I'm in like Flynn. Would LOVE something like that in 12 oz format!
  14. Maybe you havent been paying attention.
    DFH
    Weyerbacher
    North Coast
    Sixpoint
    Allagash
    Ommegang
    He'Brew
    Uinta
    Flying Dog
    Oskar Blues
    Unibroue
    Brooklyn
    Green Flash
    Young's
    Goose Island
    Harpoon
    Long Trail
    Corsendonk
    Ayinger
    Founders
    Thats 20, off the top of my head, all in my store. Not including SN. It an official trend bro.
    I dont like it.. you dont have a problem with it. Difference of opinion.
    And for the record I don't fault SN one bit. I'd be doing the exact same thing if I were in their shoes.
  15. SHODriver

SHODriver Savant (420) Louisiana Aug 13, 2010

would anybody really pay 20 bucks for six cans of ten fidy? it's an excellent stout but at the cost of four I can justify it, but a six pack for 20 would have me reaching for something else. Sure the cost per unit is the same, but sticker shock is a bitch.
  16. ewright

ewright Savant (440) North Carolina Oct 25, 2007

No, but I don't think it's worth $4/can now. I do think Bigfoot is worth $2.50/bottle and will buy it at $10/4pk or $15/6pk. Just gotta watch those retailers who will price the 4pk the same as the existing 6pk. Stay away from those guys.

Hopefully the new 4pk series has a new SKU, forcing retailers to actually price the SKU. If it has the same SKU as the current 6pk, it probably won't get repriced ... not really an issue of the retailer screwing you, just not paying enough attention to avoid screwing you.
    imbrue001 likes this.
  17. acevenom

acevenom Advocate (545) Louisiana Oct 7, 2011

This isn't actually a big deal. Bigfoot has been a bargain. While I'd like to keep the six packs, four packs are inevitable due to rising prices for commodities. I'd like to keep enjoying Bigfoot every year, so if this is the way to do it, then so be it.
  18. bditty187

bditty187 Champion (780) Nebraska Jul 10, 2002

19. I see plenty of people dropping $20 or more for just one stout, that isn't as good as Ten Fidy IMHO. So yeah, I'm pretty sure people would pay $20 for a 6 pack. . . since they pay $20 for a one pack sometimes and it flies off the shelf.
  20. Whatever helps SN. They've done a lot for the craft beer community over the years. I can't blame them for doing it.

But it still sucks. Bigfoot was the first barleywine I ever tried back in 1994. It was one of the first really good beers that put its claws in me. Putting it in a six-pack made it so you could share with friends. It kept it humble and subtle. And affordable. Oh well.
  21. MoeSyzlak

MoeSyzlak Initiate (0) New Jersey Sep 27, 2005

Pretty much the same case for me. Around 1994 or so was when I discovered Bigfoot and I thought that I had found the greatest beer ever. I used to hunt it down every winter and when they stopped shipping it to the East coast during the brewery expansion, I was bereft. Then, in 1998, I saw it back in NJ liquor stores for the first time in years. So I went a little crazy and bought about 25 cases of the stuff. Actually, it was probably more. I still have a few bottles left. LOL

It is still one of my top favorite beers, so I am not going to criticize Sierra Nevada for doing what they feel they have to do to keep the beer available for all who want it and for themselves to make some money in the deal. Why shouldn't they get a fair price for their beers? It will be weird seeing it in 4 packs but I am sure that we will all make the adjustment and life will go on much as it has before.
  22. kevinv

kevinv Savant (260) Texas Nov 23, 2009

Man, I feel so young. I was 8 in '94, probably watching Doug on Nickelodeon or something and taking a sip of my Dad's Busch Light, swearing that I'd never like beer.

I wouldn't mind the shift to 4-packs for Bigfoot, but will withhold final judgement until I see what it's priced at relative to the current 6-pack pricing. Honestly, I usually just buy singles of Bigfoot anyways.
  23. steveh

steveh Advocate (705) Illinois Oct 8, 2003

Why not? The store I was in yesterday had Leinenkugel's Big Eddy Imperial Stout for $10 a 4 pack. And the Big Foot was $12 a 6 pack.* Injustice, indeed.

*FYI -- that was Northern Illinois sticks, and I agree with the many who are saying $2 a 12 ounce bottle is a bargain -- imagine what the 8 oz. snifter costs at the better-beer-bars!
  24. I paid 50 and change (under 51) at Gordon's with deposit. Similar to Berman's price.
    Bought 4 cases throughout the year at $54 at Colonial. Going up there today and will check.
  25. abraxel

abraxel Savant (375) Michigan Aug 28, 2009

I certainly wasn't saying that no retailer would sell it for $10+ per four pack, just that retailers who currently have it at $10 (or at a comparably low price) probably aren't the type to increase prices by 50% just because they can. They're more likely to put the four-pack at less than the sixer price, just as Sierra Nevada intended. I'm sorry if you don't have such a retailer nearby.

Also, I was going off the prices I see where I shop, which usually have the lowest prices I can find nearby. At the store I go to most often, Bigfoot has been $9.99/sixer and the beer guy actively resists price increases in general, to the point that he's sent beer back to the distributor when he realized the price to him rose. I'm certainly not that passionate about it, but I know I can trust him not to take too much advantage of the format change.
  26. steveh

steveh Advocate (705) Illinois Oct 8, 2003

To be sure, I don't think a 50% jump is really going to happen either, but my point was that if Leinie's is selling their "premium" beer at $10 a 4 pack (around here), you can bet that SN will be comparable.

And yeah, I saw the price of Big Foot jump considerably from last year, but it's still a decent price for the product.
  27. I have heard from a very reliable source that the price of the four pack will be lower than the six. In the neighborhood of $10.
  28. bobv

bobv Advocate (505) Vermont Feb 3, 2009

Thank you!
  29. atone315

atone315 Advocate (660) Wisconsin Oct 8, 2008

$8.99 at Woodman's.
  30. Heatwave33

Heatwave33 Advocate (540) Florida Sep 13, 2011

My favorite Barleywine for sure. Too bad more $$ Less Beer! I will still buy it. Just not as much (OBVIOUSLY!)
  31. Whats ridiculous is that I live in Sacramento, about an hour away from the brewery and 6 packs of Bigfoot cost almost twice as much. All over Chico you can get a 6 pack for $7.99, an hour away it jumps up to $13.99. Thats one hell of a fuel surcharge.
  32. UncleJimbo

UncleJimbo Site Editor (945) Massachusetts Sep 11, 2002 Staff Member

For years I have been annoyed that "local" beers in my area (e.g., Sam Adams, Harpoon, etc.) are often the same price or higher than beers from the West Coast. You would think distribution of 20-30 miles vs 3000 miles would be reflected in the retail price, but apparently it isn't.
  33. sweethome

sweethome Savant (390) Illinois Jun 25, 2004

My vertical is to 1999; back then, I used to get a case every year
  34. animal69

animal69 Advocate (570) Louisiana Sep 21, 2007

In NOLA it was 10.49/ 6pk., for $10/ 4pk it'd still be a deal, i mean a $2 to $2.50 per beer jumps not bad, another poster listed 20 breweries that have had 4pks in the $9-$12 price range for years, it's fair since it's a high abv anyway, i sorta felt wrong buying a 6 pk of paulaner O'fest for the same price that day, lol
  35. Jason

Jason Founder (1,300) Massachusetts Aug 23, 1996 Staff Member

I am sure there will be enough trickle down from the distributor to give most retailers no choice but the charge the same price as the six-pack. Not pointing blame ... this is just reality. The consumer will most likely shrug with some frustration but in the end still buy it.
  36. sinkas

sinkas Aficionado (180) Australia Jul 9, 2008

AUD$110 for a case of 24 here,
  37. In Chico we self distribute. Not so for any other part of America.
    copslovebeer likes this.
  38. I'm not complaining about Sierra Nevada, I realize this one has nothing to do with you guys, and I love your beers and your brewery. If the distributors and stores down here want to bend us over for your product though, screw them, which in turn screws you because I wont be buy it knowing I'm getting ripped off. I buy your products all the time when I go through Chico, usually bring home growlers too, but you loose my business once I'm back down in Sacramento. For being less than 100 miles away, cant you put pressure on our local stores and distributors to keep the costs down so we can support our local brewery?
    PaulStoneAnchor likes this.
  39. Sadly, no, we can't put pressure on wholesalers or retailers about pricing anywhere. It is considered a violation of the three-tier system and against the law to set pricing to wholesalers. We can aim for a suggested retail price, but outside of suggesting, there is little we can do.

Sorry ' bout that.