Bigfoot moves to 4-packs

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by wcintula, Mar 21, 2012.

1. tronto

tronto Aficionado (235) Kentucky Dec 22, 2010

It seems like a very acute business plan, (specially for one of the biggest craft brewers in the U.S.) to go cost vs price on each individual beer they make...Most businesses have staples that allow them wiggle room on other products. For instance in the music biz 1 hit record will pay for 20 "flops". It's just so hard to believe a company of this size isnt run this way...It sounds like B.S. to me. A 5 cent price increase on say Pale ale or torpedo could more than make up this difference ( complete speculation), but you get my point. It's one of their best beers and they know we'll buy it, so they'll stick it to us beer geeks...why could'nt he just say that. Truth hurts...but at least it's the truth.

Also that isn't very valid argument when hoptimum went from 7.99 bomber to 10.99 4-packs.

2. I think Sierra Nevada has always provided great value for their products. $8.99/6 pack for their regular line up is a bargain. The more expensive brews are more expensive to produce and are available in very limited quantities so I usually just buy 1 or 2 and I am never disappointed. Hard to top SN for quality to price ratio. 4pack, 6 pack whatever pack, I'm still drinking Bigfoot.

Chico_PT likes this.
  3. chcfan

chcfan Advocate (570) California Oct 29, 2008

I'm trying to figure out how the format change in and of itself helps them make money off Bigfoot now. Outside of sales at the brewery, they'll still ship all of their Bigfoot by the case/pallet/keg.

4. Raising the price on the case will help them make more money off of Bigfoot. Switching to 4-packs will lessen the sticker shock of that price rise for some consumers or "... we think it's a little bit easier to take a lower per-carton price, rather than have a big jump on the 6-pack" as Sierranevadabill put it on page 3 of this thread.

5. chcfan

chcfan Advocate (570) California Oct 29, 2008

Gotcha. Thanks.

6. kegster

kegster Initiate (0) California Dec 5, 2005

changing to 4 packs?
    c'mon man

7. pixieskid

pixieskid Advocate (660) Germany Jun 4, 2009

Almost, it's "C'est la vie".

8. I still have a case of 2012 where I work at $8 a six pack?

9. What's your question?

10. No question. Just stating what is still available by me and hit the wrong key. Sorry.

11. I'll take all of it.

12. what's next four packs of Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout and Green Flash IPA. Oh wait. From the article it seems reasonable. I just would hate to see craft four packs become the norm.
    I just have to be a little more careful with when I pull one out of the "strategic reserve." Every Superbowl Sunday I have a four year old bottle of it(bigfoot) and it's a tradition I'd like to keep.

My apologizes to the people at Brooklyn and Green Flash I buy those products every chance I get.

13. I still have a case of 2012 where I work at $8 a six pack?​
    I'll take all of it.
    DITTO !!!

14. Gabany

Gabany Aficionado (110) Feb 29, 2012

I went out and bought three cases. The stuff is just as good, if not better, aged and at 10.99 a six pack now, I'm sure I'll be thanking myself next year.

15. UncleJimbo

UncleJimbo Site Editor (955) Massachusetts Sep 11, 2002 Staff Member

As someone else pointed out above, 4 packs are the norm now, pretty much.

16. ravot

ravot Savant (460) Illinois Mar 20, 2012

i read the article, but i was confused. are 2012 BF in 4 packs or 6 packs, or both?

17. 2012 was still a 6 pack. The 2013 batch will be in 4 packs.

18. ravot

ravot Savant (460) Illinois Mar 20, 2012

thank you! i saw some thinking it was a variant. phew.

19. Never tried BF. it was on tap at a local bar this year. I asked for a taste before buying it. I was told no samples of BF but any other is ok. Thought it odd as there were beers priced more than BF and I have had NAND tastes there before . oh well. Never see Six packs here but did see a case of 2010 at a distributor a few months ago. don't want to drop $50 plus and not enjoy it.

Enjoy

20. BeerMiler

BeerMiler Aspirant (25) Jul 3, 2012

Unfortunately 4 packs are becoming the norm even for standard microbrews as i recently noticed SEVERAL new ones at my local beer store. Many of which I "will not" be buying. I do understand it for beers that are costly to make, ala double IPA's and Barleywines but not for regular a more standard beer like an IPA.

This is the problem when microbrews go CORPORATE. Yes, we can thank all the marketing strategist, MBA's and financial analyst for this new trend. It's something they learned in school to fuck people and make themselves more money and therefore they charge brewers high prices for their expert knowledge only adding to the price. A real microbrewery would never pay some dipshit to come up with strategies to screw us for all that they can. So we need to stick together and refuse to buy these products. I'm sticking with my local brewer Lagunitas, they seel even their highest gravity beers still in sick packs and keep the price of the 22 oz. reasonably priced unlike some of the $10+ bombers i see on the store shelves.

djsmith1174 likes this.
  21. djsmith1174

djsmith1174 Savant (480) Minnesota Aug 21, 2005

SN is a business. Plain and simple. They always turn out a quality product, but do not have to do so at a loss to accommodate the BA community. I do not know all of their associated costs with Bigfoot production, so I'm not going to throw judgement. I'm a little bummed out because I liked the 6 pack format and Bigfoot was a stellar value for years at under $10. But I will continue to buy it and their other beers because they have always offered such a high quality/dollar ratio in all their products. Costs have gone up exorbitantly on other goods...we just don't tend to see it as much because it's not our focus like craft beer is. Let's just hope the retail market reacts fairly as well.

TheCrowsNest likes this.
  22. This. There are so many external factors that contribute to a move like this. Sure, craft beer has had some ridiculous growth and it has treated SN well but that also means that they're key ingredients are in greater demand which yields higher prices. Don't even get me started on fuel costs, stainless, etc.

I'm sure that Ken Grossman isn't kicking it on the patio, smoking a cigar, and laughing his way to the bank right now.

23. BeerMiler

SN job posting: Business Development Manager

Job description: "... identifying growth opportunities in the market and developing effective strategies to achieve those opportunities"

and "... solid strategic abilities with a demonstrated ability to grow a multi-million dollar revenue business to the next level."

24. If you're going to pull a quote from the job listings, please try not to quote only the parts that you disagree with.

We are recruiting for a Business Development Manager for the mountain states of Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Colorado, and Utah. We are looking for someone exceptional who can “wow” distributors, retailers, and his or her direct-report team members alike with their outstanding work ethic, their extensive beer knowledge, their passion for great beer, and their ability to grow Sierra Nevada’s business at the retail and distributor level. The goal is to distinguish Sierra Nevada by being the craft beer expert in the market who partners with distributors and retailers by identifying growth opportunities in the market and developing effective strategies to achieve those opportunities.

That is a job posting for a sales position. That's what salesmen do... they grow business. They find new distributor opportunities, shops, accounts, and bars that will sell our beer so that it is available more places. Salesmen have no say in what the beer costs in their market. They have zero influence on the costs of raw materials.

To say we're not a multi-million dollar business would be a bold-faced lie and frankly insulting...

I've mentioned this before on this thread. The bottom line is this: We don't make money on Bigfoot. We love craft beer fans and craft beer drinkers and everyone who has supported us for all these years, but if you are making a product and then offering it for sale, but not making any money, there is a problem. I'm no economist, but charging money for goods and/or services is how business takes place, no?
    We understand there will be some disappointment over the switch to four-packs, but sadly it is a necessity.
    There are three scenarios to change this circumstance.
    A. Discontinue Bigfoot
    B. Continue to make Bigfoot in six-packs but charge much for for it.
    C. produce Bigfoot in 4-packs and keep pricing more-or-less where it's at.

I realize this is a disappointment, we really do, but we felt that this is the least offensive way to carry Bigfoot through into its 30th anniversary.

Cheers!

-Bill

BeerBaron, Chico_PT, Hatzilla and 8 others like this.
  25. Bill,

Don't you fucking stop making my Bigfoot!:)

It's worth every penny...

26. ChanChan

ChanChan Advocate (575) California Dec 12, 2009

:'''''( well, at least we have a few years until we will be buying the single pack!

27. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poobah (1,145) Wyoming Sep 14, 2002

A: Not acceptable
    B: Okay
    C: I'll back you up on this.

Docer, abraxel and djsmith1174 like this.
  28. jdklks

jdklks Savant (375) Nevada Aug 9, 2007

Rational business model aside (which is more than a sufficient argument here), let's all think about what SN has done for the craft beer community in general and those of us who love their beers in particular. They have been second to none for decades in producing quality products with astounding consistency; their pervasive distribution has led to a highly recognizable name that is often the only craft beer BMC drinkers can name or care to try, and consequently they have done more than their fair share in promoting growth throughout the industry. Soooo many breweries that we love would not have even been possible without SN's [indirect] contributions. While we may all be disappointed because we will ultimately be the ones losing money on this deal, remember that more expensive Bigfoot is better than no Bigfoot, and Sierra Nevada continuing to expand operations and distribution opportunities will NEVER be a bad thing, so why not throw in a little extra?

Docer and BeerMiler like this.
  29. BeerMiler

Sorry Bill, didn't mean to ruffle your feathers. I am actually a huge fan of SN and completely agree with you in terms of the Bigfoot 4-pack move. Another option that would be cool since it's such a heavy beer is six 8 oz. bottles.

My main issue is of the smaller less reputable companies distributing 4-packs of standard IPA's and various other "seasonal" beers just to increase profits. I only quoted the parts that in your posting that used typical "business jargon" that drives me nuts to prove a point that many of these changes we see in pricing and distributing are not by accident but specifically done on purpose to boost profits.

Again, I apologize for misrepresenting SN. I would like to add that I applaud your decision to distribute Torpedo in the 4-pack of 16 oz. cans at roughly the same cost structure as a 6 pack ($6.99).

djsmith1174 likes this.
  30. I stock up every year on bigfoot release day to fill my BW fix for the whole year. It is one of the best BW's on earth and I can grab them by the case load. I could care less if they go up 10-20% in price. Sierra Nevada has proven themselves 10x over. 16oz Torpedo cans, Harvests, Estate, 30th Anniversary, stout, and even their classic Pale Ale paved the way and filled our fridges with days on end of enjoyable suds.

quit whining youngins

Hatzilla likes this.
  31. How can you argue that Hoptimum is not worth the price?

Hoptimus-Prime and Hatzilla like this.
  32. djsmith1174

djsmith1174 Savant (480) Minnesota Aug 21, 2005

This is so true. Very few businesses in any market successfully maintain their quality this way as they expand their market. But it's something that should be admired and commended. Thank you SN for showing other breweries that it can be done successfully.

Docer likes this.
  33. chuckstout

chuckstout Aficionado (235) Ohio May 22, 2006

Sierra Nevada has always maintained fair prices for their beer, so I have no problem with this move.

34. Bigfoot belongs in 4 packs. I don't know of any other barley wine that's sold in six packs. And let's just be thankful they aren't putting it in bombers.

35. UncleJimbo

UncleJimbo Site Editor (955) Massachusetts Sep 11, 2002 Staff Member

I don't see the logic in that. Why is a 4-pack better than a 6-pack? Is there some unwritten rule that a customer must consume the entire "pack" at one sitting?

36. I didn't say it was better. It's just that barlywines and most high abv beers are almost always sold in 4 packs or bombers. And there's a lot of people that find $10 for a 4 pack is reasonable but $15 for a 6 pack is high so it makes more business sense from SN point of view and may end up actually selling better even if the price per beer ends up being higher.

37. sk8man121

sk8man121 Savant (280) Maine Aug 24, 2007

Just picked one up. Hmm...just about the same price around here as the 6 pack used to be. Blegh.

Anyways, how is it?

38. danieelol

danieelol Advocate (510) Australia Jun 15, 2010

Is this 2013?

Doesn't affect me anyway, only buy it by the case ;)

benjaminahudson and siege06nd like this.
  39. sk8man121

sk8man121 Savant (280) Maine Aug 24, 2007

Yup. I'm gonna assume your case price is gonna skyrocket.

40. It is already out? Very surprised and excited.

Bitterbill likes this.