1. Extreme Beer Fest tickets go on sale Sat, Sep 27 @ Noon EDT.
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Biggest discrepancy between regular lineup and seasonals/specialties

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by sacrelicio, Jan 8, 2013.

1. Hear drakes BA beers at the tap are inconsistent. Time I went, nothing I or rest of group tried were great. Maybe next time.

2. drocpsu

drocpsu Savant (255) New Hampshire Dec 25, 2006

You beat me to it!

3. In that case I agree with you somewhat, I don't get the love for their wheat beer here in KS/MO. 80 Acre is in the regular rotation now and in my opinion that is one of the best session beers you can buy year round right now.

4. haha i think every brewery regular beer is a drain pour, and their limited/specialty stuff is pretty good.

5. bolus14

bolus14 Zealot (95) New York Aug 19, 2008

I would have to say Sam Adams. Boston Lager and Latitude 48 are IMO a little better than middle of the road, not a knock on them just saying they aren't great.

But isn't the point of a seasonal or "special" to be better than the year round offerings, otherwise why bother? You could argue to stay away from seasonals and specialties and "perfect" your year round offerings. I think you limit your market that way because many drinkers are seasonal drinkers.

6. I would have said this, but apparently they are putting Oat, Jahva, and Mokah on "hiatus", and moving forward with a BW Series consisting of Choklat &...gasp...Creme Brulee o_O

If you were unaware, you just said WTF about 5 times.

Backburner is now my only reason to buy ST whatsoever.

7. jRocco2021

jRocco2021 Savant (395) Wisconsin Mar 13, 2010

I have a better question, which brewery's regular beers are better than their specialty ones? I realize its a matter of opinion but I feel like by virtue of being "specialty" or "limited" they're meant to be a cut above. I like all beer for the most part but if you barrel age a porter its prolly gonna tatse a lot better than some standard red ale. I would be a lot more impressed if a brewery could make specialty brews that are worse than their regular line up.

8. sacrelicio

sacrelicio Initiate (0) Minnesota Feb 15, 2005

I didn't specify in my original post which had to be better, regular or specialty. Anyone who thinks a brewery's regular stuff is better than their specialties is welcome to post an example.

9. holy s- i have been looking forward to jahva this whole year. WTF WTF WTF WTF WTF

10. RustyP

RustyP Savant (340) Texas Dec 22, 2008

Here in TX it seems a lot of people feel Rahr & Sons year-round beers are mediocre at best, but tend to love their winter seasonal Bourbon Barrel Winter Warmer.

11. Orval. Their flagship beer is solid, but their quirky experimental stuff is almost always overpriced drain cleaner.

All joking aside, I couldn't think of an honest answer to follow that up.

12. lurpy1

lurpy1 Savant (480) Minnesota Jan 15, 2010

CW. If you haven't had their year round stuff, you are missing nothing. But the bourbon barreled stuff is worth killing your mother, selling your kids, or in the case of BBBW, whoring your wife out for.

13. krl2112

krl2112 Advocate (575) Illinois Nov 10, 2012

CW and GI for sure!

14. New Belgium. Their regular line up is kind of weak, but their lips of faith beers are always great.

15. Couple of things, most of the breweries I have access to that have been mentioned have great line ups... They just apparently suffer from the special beers they have.... Stacked up against most breweries though the line ups they have are pretty good compared to every other brewery. But the main one that got me here is CW, Satin Solstice is a great almost double stout at 6.99/6 that alone breaks the argument for them, not to mention Mudpuppy, Glacier Trail and Happy Heron are all solid offerings...