Binny's Lincoln Park Black Friday 2012 Official Thread

Discussion in 'US - Great Lakes' started by Vav, Nov 7, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mdomask

mdomask Savant (335) Illinois May 27, 2012

I also understand why people would want this, but I also think it's a bad idea. I'm in favor of "must be present to win." It's not like a raffle where you pay money to enter. It's a fun little free event.

You gotta make choices. Do you want to go to GI's cool tasting event, or do you want to hang out at Binny's and maybe buy some cool beer? The idea is to get a bunch of us hanging out at Binny's early on a Friday, not come in, put your name in a hat, then leave.

2. dmbsnus

dmbsnus Aficionado (190) Illinois Jan 10, 2012

I understand everyone elses opinion....I just selfishly want to have my cake and eat it too :)

I would just HATE to miss out on the opportunity to buy some of these great beers!!! But i understand and respect if you dont want to allow us 10 a.m.er's to purchase anything after we leave.

Regardless, I think its a great thing for the Chicago beer community and I salute the effort to make it a special day!!!

Thanks again Vav!!!

3. mdomask

This may be the first documented case of a BA'er being reasonable about Bourbon County. Well done, sir.

geimerman, chi16brew and Vav like this.
  4. Vav

Vav Savant (495) Illinois Jul 27, 2008

Yeah i'm gunna have to veto the name-in-the-hat-and-skeedaddle. So i guess there *is* an incentive to getting here early. With the new 10am session, i'm going to have to start pulling earlier than i thought.

5. pschul4

pschul4 Advocate (625) Illinois Jan 7, 2011

Go on... ;)

weatherdog likes this.
  6. stouts4me

stouts4me Savant (410) Illinois Oct 9, 2011

Whole event sounds awesome and extremely well thought out and fairly run - cudos to you VAV.

7. So you are saying it's now a normal Black Friday type of event. First come, first to choose. The question will be bottle allotment per person.

8. Tnudish

Tnudish Initiate (0) Wisconsin Feb 16, 2012

Im skipping Thanksgiving with my family to camp out now

thetomG likes this.
  9. ravot

ravot Savant (460) Illinois Mar 20, 2012

shared a 2012 dark lord and bourbon county 2011 with the gf. shocker, 2012 was nice.

10. lurchingbeast

lurchingbeast Initiate (0) Illinois Feb 19, 2009

You idiots are pretty much another family anyways. See you guys on Thanksgiving. The turkey will be ready at 7pm.

11. mdomask

Cooking a full turkey outside Binny's on Thanksgiving would be truly epic.

Grohnke likes this.
  12. lurchingbeast

Bringing the deep fryer Fo Sho

13. Tnudish

Tnudish Initiate (0) Wisconsin Feb 16, 2012

Already got the green bean casserole in the oven

14. Vav

I certainly cannot encourage the frying of a turkey in the parking lot publically.

15. dvelcich

dvelcich Savant (340) Illinois Feb 6, 2008

But you can't discourage it...

Gonzoillini and thetomG like this.
  16. lurchingbeast

I was hoping to use an extension cord to plug it in inside Binny's. That's not cool?

woodchopper likes this.
  17. Vav

Nope. Theoretically, you'd have to use something on it's own, like a propane turkey fryer.

18. Jagen

Jagen Aficionado (135) Illinois Oct 1, 2012

About how many bottles of each will you have (if you want to divulge that information)...I plan on going anyway, I just want to know the likelihood of getting something besides this year's BCBS

Rocket80 likes this.
  19. ah crap, why do I have to be doing things like visiting family during events like this....

zieglemt likes this.
  20. Roger85

Roger85 Advocate (550) Illinois Aug 24, 2012

If I didnt already have tickets to go see FSU/UF in Tallahassee on Saturday, I would be there for sure. Sounds like an awesome event. Good luck and congrats to anyone who gets the Rare!

21. Vav

There will be lots.

22. Samjuan12

Samjuan12 Aficionado (245) Illinois Jun 17, 2012

I am so EXCITE!!!

23. Please clarify. Is it going to be numbers given in order based on when you arrive in line and run like the cellar sale now?

Thanks VAV

24. Jagen

25. Vav

Jagen is correct. Your number only matters if it's pulled.

26. Jagen

hopefully everyone will be able to get in the door before you start pulling numbers :p

27. jegross2

jegross2 Advocate (715) Illinois Jan 3, 2010

Of course the one black friday in four years I cant goto the pub, and I miss the best one!

28. leftyhyzer

leftyhyzer Savant (250) Indiana Jul 10, 2012

Any info on first come first serve coffee and cherry?

29. ravot

if they get it in. LP Binny's does this, a first come first serve. or more like first camp, first get. hotspots and vpn for the win. i'm the one with the thermal mug.

30. While he's done that in the past (sexist!), Vav may treat these bottles differently this time around. From earlier in the thread:

ravot likes this.
  31. tinypyramids

tinypyramids Savant (480) Illinois Jul 19, 2012

bear in mind vav said earlier in the thread that it's dependent on 1) IF they get it in and 2) HOW MUCH they get in - if the rumours about low yields on cherry are true, i wouldn't be surprised if cherry became a raffle item.

ravot likes this.
  32. Vav

Cherry will indeed be a drawing item.

33. ravot

Well that's good news. If I miss out I can't complain since I had some today. Wild day. Six am. 1 pm session. Fuck.

34. jrman1386

jrman1386 Savant (255) Illinois Oct 22, 2011

My questions are two. One; If, for example, my number is drawn for the first bottle of 2009 BCBS, I buy it...my number then gets put back in the hat so that I could possibly win a second 2009 BCBS? and Two; how will you prevent people from getting multiple tickets so that they have many chances to win bottles?

35. Vav

Just as heads up: If you're caught breaking the rules, you'll be asked to leave. Also, Bastinado.

And for clarification, YES, all numbers go back in the hat after being pulled, so in theory one person could walk away with everything, though the odds are astronomical.

36. Vav

I answered your question in the RB thread already, AND prempted you with my reply above, figuring you'd post here.

I'm like a freakin' svenjolly.

37. DanGolfs86

DanGolfs86 Savant (300) Illinois Dec 2, 2010

Just clearing my mind up here, Vav you are going to be pulling earlier but the doors still open at 9am. It really doesn't matter what time you start waiting as long as you are in the door with your number in hand when you start pulling you should be good.

You are planning on pulling bottles before 10am for those who are going across the street.

I have read through the thread but just want to be sure i am reading everything and understanding it all.

pschul4 likes this.
  38. Vav

Doors open at 9. I'll start pulling once everyone has their number. I'll try to do at least one of every bottle BEFORE 10 so those with 10am GI Tix have a shot.

pschul4 and ravot like this.
  39. DanGolfs86

DanGolfs86 Savant (300) Illinois Dec 2, 2010

Thanks!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.