1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Binny's Lincoln Park Black Friday 2012 Official Thread

Discussion in 'US - Great Lakes' started by Vav, Nov 7, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shagtastic

Shagtastic Initiate (0) Indiana Jul 30, 2011

Pretty impressive but is it really worth driving that long to put your name in a hat?

crushedvol and foobula like this.
  2. leftyhyzer

leftyhyzer Aficionado (240) Indiana Jul 10, 2012

So are you allowing people to walk in and jump into the raffle whenever they can make it. my priorities have changed and won't make it there till around 945.

Thanx again

3. Brandon really has nothing else better to do :D

4. XmnwildX12

XmnwildX12 Champion (770) Minnesota Nov 12, 2010

I got a ticket for the Goose Island Black Friday too

5. Vav

Vav Savant (485) Illinois Jul 27, 2008

Yep, pretty much the idea was to avoid everyone having to wait in line in the (cold) (60 degree weather? what the fuck?) jockeying position. Everyone has an equal chance.

6. Very cool that you are doing this and combined with the GI event, I imagine this will be my best Black Friday yet!

JimGlonke likes this.
  7. Bay01

Bay01 Savant (435) Illinois Nov 19, 2008

EVERY event in Chicago is that kind of event. I hate-read threads in the other regional forums; turns out there are some beer events in this country that don't involve constant browser refreshing followed by hours of line-standing followed by neck-stabbing for beer.

EricCioe likes this.
  8. Flabbyjandro

Flabbyjandro Savant (485) Illinois Jun 12, 2012

But we are Chicago, we got street cred to live by....if you can buy a beer without spilling blood, what's the fun in that?

kenm2118 likes this.
  9. nasty31

nasty31 Savant (250) Indiana May 5, 2010

Sucks I'm admitting this. Took the Miller brewing company tour a while back and they did say ..... Chicago consumers %60 of the USA alcohol .... I think we're just alcoholics

10. haruspexvic

haruspexvic Savant (260) Illinois Aug 23, 2012

it's going to be a hell of a ride on the red line at 8 am to the liquor store..

11. yamar68

yamar68 Initiate (0) Minnesota Apr 1, 2011

You Chicago people are so fucking spoiled.

IMSPEAKNOENGLISH likes this.
  12. Tnudish

Tnudish Initiate (0) Wisconsin Feb 16, 2012

I wouldn't have it any other way. Bring on the knife fights!

13. sacullen

sacullen Aficionado (245) Illinois Oct 14, 2008

Don't get THIS thread locked. Assuming because there's no smiley it's not a joke.

ravot and Grohnke like this.
  14. burica2020

burica2020 Savant (400) Illinois Nov 17, 2009

they're jokes.....I'm joking.....Frank's joking...... sorry i missed the smiley but you cant edit.

MarkIntihar likes this.
  15. MarkIntihar

MarkIntihar Initiate (0) Michigan Mar 17, 2010

Fixed for those who struggle with reading small font.

16. DMBTattoo

DMBTattoo Aficionado (165) Illinois Mar 22, 2012

When you say "my" cellar do you mean....
    from your personal cellar that youve collected or are they bottles that have been stored at Binnys and just never sold from the years past with the intention of this kind of event. If they are part of Binnys inventory, I dont see how they could be sold for more than what the SKU will scan them as.

Just thinking outloud for how much cash money to bring...just in case. I assume credit cards will not be accepted if these are from your personal collection.

17. Gonzoillini

Gonzoillini Advocate (655) Illinois Oct 15, 2008

From the stores inventory.

18. From Binny's. Last year he did something similar but it was just a random weekend (spring cleaning, maybe?) with different brands, not just GI.

19. tinypyramids

tinypyramids Savant (445) Illinois Jul 19, 2012

SHOCKING NEWS: Prices can be changed in the computer! Three Floyds Burns Down! Film at 11!

20. DMBTattoo

^^ No need to be sarcastic, its a legit question. I know that "prices in the computer" cant just be changed on the spot, its done via corporate if and it would change the price to ALL Binnys.

Just surprised that Binnys allowed items to be kept in inventory like that on a likely allocated item, dont get me wrong its really cool and I am excited at the chance.

eyeenjoybeer likes this.
  21. sacullen

sacullen Aficionado (245) Illinois Oct 14, 2008

Binny's has a cellar program and they are fully aware of what they are doing. The corporate overlords there are smarter than you think.

22. DMBTattoo

Id venture to say Binnys Lincoln park and Vav (overseeing) is the only store that does any type of cellaring of beer. Which is cool. Though craft beer is part of binnys profits...its not the cash cow.

23. whats up fellow MNer whos in chicago

24. ckobes

ckobes Initiate (0) Illinois Jul 11, 2012

You'd be surprised to the amount of stores that hold allocations for future releases. They don't owe you the consumer anything, just because they get in 20 cases of something, it doesn't mean that they have to sell all 20 immediately. They can do as they please.

The increased prices are a premium charged for cellaring the beers and holding inventory space. Nothing out of the ordinary.

25. At the end of the day, bring as much as you are willing to spend ;)

26. DMBTattoo

yes, I would be surprised, LP Binnys is the only one I have heard of doing that. Never heard of another store doing such a thing on wine, spirits or beer. Distributors definitely hold back a bit on some things...(i.e. the BCBS 2nd wave).

27. bozodogbreath

bozodogbreath Savant (420) Indiana Oct 19, 2006

No, you would be surprised at the number of stores that cellar beer. I have had the good fortune to be invited into a couple of store cellars and have had the jaw drop at what I saw.

28. ATLbeerDog

ATLbeerDog Savant (450) Georgia Nov 12, 2005

Looking FW to this Vav!

29. XmnwildX12

XmnwildX12 Champion (770) Minnesota Nov 12, 2010

Not much coming up with ryanfolty and hitting up Binnys and GI and then heading back bright and early on Saturday. It is going to fly by!

30. Vav

I dont know if other Binny'ses cellar stuff...i'd guess a few do. I got some very skeptical looks when I started mine in late 2009. I'm pretty sure Kristina over at WLV has been cellaring for quite awhile, and i know for a fact Twisted Spoke and Delilah's have been cellaring stuff for many years.

As for the increased prices, it's not just inventory space...for what it's worth, it's all taxable inventory that is not generating revenue, and, in my case, everything is in a temperature controlled room (a converted walk in freezer.)

31. I'm really elicited for this.

autumnaldave likes this.
  32. Vav

Last minute stuff:

At bare minimum, there will be 162 items available in the number pulling, so the odds are WAY better than you probably thought.

I plan to start pulling at 9:15ish.

I lowered a couple of prices.

I will not be providing coffee this year.

I burned my pinky soldering last night :(

chanokokoro, baker2gs, 1noa and 3 others like this.
  33. mbockstruck30

mbockstruck30 Savant (325) Illinois Dec 31, 2010

Vav, will u still be at GI by 4pm?

34. mpwdoyle

mpwdoyle Aficionado (155) Illinois Apr 29, 2011

162 items, wow! Thanks again for this, Vav.

35. Vav

Well, i'm slated to do the noon session at Clybourn. My assistant manager Dennis doesnt think it'll be over by then, so we have a monetary wager on whether or not i make it.

36. jefeld

jefeld Aficionado (185) Illinois Mar 31, 2010

37. mpwdoyle

mpwdoyle Aficionado (155) Illinois Apr 29, 2011

Good job posting this in two separate threads.

38. bertram

bertram Savant (350) Illinois Dec 18, 2010

So you're starting to pull numbers at 9:15a, and if you listen to the email from GI, 'check in 15 minutes early for your session', so GI at 11:45a. That gives ya 2 1/2 hours for the raffle. Assuming the 162 items are counting something like a 4-pk as one item...

2 1/2 hours = 150 minutes; items = 162; so giving away at a rate of 1.08 items/minute.

Add in that numbers go back into the hat (slowing down the rate of pulling numbers)...yea, unless there are a lot of 4-pks being raffled but counted as 4 items each, I think Dennis is making some extra money tomorrow.

39. mbockstruck30

mbockstruck30 Savant (325) Illinois Dec 31, 2010

Note to self: do not trade with jefeld.

40. Grohnke

Grohnke Savant (380) Illinois Sep 15, 2009

no you didnt

DanGolfs86, pmoney, Vav and 2 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.