1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Bioware co-founder leaves company to get into craft brewing

Discussion in 'Beer News' started by Zappbranagan, Sep 18, 2012.

1. Today, one of the co-founders of Bioware (Greg Zeschuk) (responsible for games like Dragon Age, Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic, Mass Effect, Jade Empire, etc) announced that he is retiring to get into the craft beer scene. Here is what he said on his blog today:
    http://blog.bioware.com/2012/09/18/ray-muzyka-greg-zeschuk-retire/

Related:
    http://www.nbcnews.com/technology/ingame/bioware-founders-leave-game-business-charity-beer-1B5950755
    thehand likes this.
  2. Alextricity

Alextricity Advocate (700) Michigan Jun 18, 2012

Lucky dude.
  3. Well since I have a been a Bioware fan for years, I can only hope Mr. Zeschuk brings some new found media-based enthusiasm to the craft beer scene!
  4. Alextricity

I concur. I thought the same.
    TheJollyHop likes this.
  5. i know me too. I have enjoyed every Bioware game to date.
  6. Alextricity

It's hard not to. They haven't made a bad game yet.

...To my knowledge.
  7. Going from one nerdfest to another. ;)
    harperman69, ant880 and Henamonster like this.
  8. yemenmocha

yemenmocha Champion (930) Arizona Jun 18, 2002

Really disappointed with SWTOR. He can go...

anyway, maybe his beer will be better
  9. the MMO was decent, but the original was excellent (I enjoyed the 2nd by Obsidian, as well)
    apocalypsezombie likes this.
  10. Domingo

Domingo Champion (945) Colorado Apr 23, 2005

Bioware has been at the mercy of EA's wishes for years. A fair number of the recent Bioware missteps weren't necessarily their own fault.
  11. Shmeal

Shmeal Savant (495) Oregon Nov 9, 2009

I hope he's on BA!
  12. Baldur's Gate and Mass Effect. One got me back into gaming and the other proved they (games) could rival any Hollywood blockbuster. This is great news for the craft beer industry as his show/blog/etc. could potentially raise the profile of many a craft brewer.
    apocalypsezombie likes this.
  13. jivex5k

jivex5k Advocate (550) Florida Apr 13, 2011

You can find them lol, Dragon Age 2 comes to mind...blech.
    I still play DA1 though, and Baldurs Gate II.

Anyways, it sounds like someone doing what they love. I've been contemplating leaving my IT job for a brewery job...it's almost a coinflip at this point.
    Good to see other people doing what motivates them!
  14. Hanzo

Hanzo Champion (955) Virginia Feb 27, 2012

Assuming you are enormously wealthy like they are, go for it.
  15. Steeeve

Steeeve Savant (255) Pennsylvania Nov 16, 2010

Wouldn't it be nice if we all had enough money to follow our dreams?
    fishtremble likes this.
  16. jivex5k

jivex5k Advocate (550) Florida Apr 13, 2011

I don't mean open a brewery, just work at one. I'll start in the trub and work my way up to the krausen and would love it all!
    I don't see a large need for money as long as I work out the starting days of my new career and the final days of my current one.
  17. nanobrew

nanobrew Initiate (0) California Dec 31, 2008

working in a brewery (especially at the bottom) is known for not paying much. So I would make sure you know what you are getting in to before quiting any job you currently have. Though i am sure you will not rush into it, I just wanted to point out that IT probably pays more. This is the #1 reason I am still at my engineering job, I cannot pass up my pay, benefits, and nice work schedule, so brewing remains a hobby.
    Hanzo likes this.
  18. Hanzo

Hanzo Champion (955) Virginia Feb 27, 2012

I meant the guys in the story can go do a job that doesn't pay well because they are rich. If you are a normal working adult, quitting your job to go work at a brewery probably isn't the best idea. But then again I don't know your financial situation.
  19. MacNCheese

MacNCheese Initiate (0) California Dec 10, 2011

*yawn* another beer blogger? Whoop-de-do.
  20. fox227

fox227 Advocate (555) California Nov 19, 2010

Whenever I go to a pub in Baldur's Gate I/II I always check out the tap lists and there's always some interesting ales to choose from. :)
  21. All this talk of baldurs gate. All I can think of is playing pool of radiance on C-64!
    danoeltico likes this.
  22. How about a craft beer related video game? Possible names and scenarios: Grand Theft Beer truck. Hijack a Budweiser truck and replace the Bud with craft beer. World of BeerCraft. Start your own brewery and try to make a profit while battling macro agents. I'm not too familiar with many video games but I'm hoping you get my drift.
  23. Personally I'd love a re-branded version of "Tapper" that replaces Budweiser with something more... contemporary, like DFH or Tallgrass (they did make 8-bit pale ale, after all), or perhaps re-work it as "Heady Tapper," starring John Kimmich as the bartender?
  24. Fenris244

Fenris244 Aficionado (240) Texas Aug 24, 2010

Sucks... Why is this in beer news? just curious.

Also, still havent played mass effect 3, should I?
  25. Fenris244

Fenris244 Aficionado (240) Texas Aug 24, 2010

disregard that... misread the title of the thread /facepalm