1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Birch Bar News (Norfolk)

Discussion in 'US - South-Atlantic' started by Beer-A-Lot, Nov 11, 2012.

1. Birch Bar will be getting a case of ET Imperial Biscotti Break next week. Owner said he'll hold a bottle for me, so I don't mind sharing the news.

Also, BFM is coming to Birch (they'll have 5 beers on tap). Not sure if there will be any special presentation or whatever, but should be a nice time to visit.

2. Hanzo

Hanzo Champion (955) Virginia Feb 27, 2012

If The Birch is getting a case I sure hope that means the other shops in the area are getting some. I really want to get my hands on more.

3. I hope you're right. Would be awesome if Grape and Gourmet got 10 cases or something. I'd be stocking up.

4. Head-high

Head-high Aficionado (140) Virginia Jun 15, 2012

Kevin got 9 bottles last time, 9.

5. Hanzo

I don't know how many Ian at Let's Talk Wine got, but they were on the shelf there for a while. I'm hoping I can at least find it somewhere.

6. Hanzo

G&G just got some Imperial Biscotti Break in, so I assume that means most stores in the area will be getting some.

Head-high likes this.
  7. Hanzo

Figure I'd post this here, they also have a keg of Bell's Black Note they will be opening for their 43 Hours of Dark this Jan.

8. Head-high

Did you grab some?

9. Hanzo

I have one on hold, haven't picked it up yet. This one is going for my Secret Santa BIF.

10. Head-high

..... as well as FW Anniversary Ale.

Hanzo likes this.
  11. riotinmyskull

riotinmyskull Savant (290) Virginia Dec 15, 2011

that black note is 2011 vintage too

12. LambicKing

LambicKing Advocate (650) Florida Apr 13, 2011

I'm there. Never tried BN.

13. Hanzo

I was there before BN, but now I am really there. I just hope I don't run into the Cantillon situation again, where I couldn't get a pour until they sold all of their steal the pint keg.

14. LambicKing

LambicKing Advocate (650) Florida Apr 13, 2011

I'm sure it'll be a cluster. Will be time to finally put my GGG card to use, but I do have tempered expectations for BN. I hear/read it's not that great...when compared to other limited release world class stouts.

15. Hanzo

Well 1/2 of the blend is a beer I did not like (Expedition Stout) so I don't have very high hopes, but I'm hoping the Double Cream Stout and barrel aging really changed the final product.

16. Aging really does help the expedition . I have a batch 8728 that I will have to open with you .

17. ncaudle

ncaudle Advocate (605) Virginia May 28, 2010

to anyone going to the BFM event on 11/28, any way I can get one of the glasses?

18. Have not yet received an email on the event, so don't know when or if I'll be able to go. However, I plan to go by tonight to check on something else. I'll ask about the glasses.

19. Birch's BFM night is next Wednesday - or is it the Wednesday after? They'll be having a steal a glass night (you have to buy a beer). The BFM glass is nice (engraved wine glass with gold rim). I have one set aside.

20. ncaudle

28th I believe. Jerome Rebetez from BFM will be up here at Mekong the next night.
    (no news if Mekong will have any special glassware...).

21. WEDNEDSAY NOVEMBER 28, 2012 at 5PM

Jérôme Rebetez, the brewer of BFM will be here to hang out, drink his beer, and answer questions! (Read about him here!)

We will have 5 BFM Taps including:

La Douze
    Abbaye de Saint Bon-Chien 2011
    Abbaye de Saint Bon-Chien Zymatore aged in Ransom's Bourbon
    BFM XIV (La Quatorze)
    BFM XV (BFM SqRt 225th Anniversary Sour Historical Saison matured in ASBC Barrels)

We are having special glassware made for the event! A Steal the Goblet Night! (see below)

Hubcap will be making Swiss inspired Street Food and we'll be doing a cheese a beer pairing with 4 of the draft offerings.

Only BFM will be served all night long, so come out a meet the creator of our beloved Abbaye de Saint Bon-Chien!!

22. Above from Birch.

23. Hanzo

So Ben posted on Facebook asking people if they picked up their tickets yet....but no one seems to know what the tickets are for and assume it is an exclusive GGG event. Any of you a member of the GGG that can shed some light on this?

24. ncaudle

did anyone happen to grab an extra BFM/Birch glass?

25. Head-high

I'm belong to the GGG and no I have heard nothing about tickets.

26. Sorry, I got mine but didn't pick up an extra. I drank all of the BFM beers on tap (5) and then drank them again. Then I went to the Public House and drank some more. My mind might not have been right. Suggest you call to see if they have an extra one. They're pretty cool about it. I also wish I got the free Founders pint glass on day before Thanksgiving.

27. Hanzo

Anyone else excited about their next event 43 hours of bitter? I hope they can get some awesome stuff that is super fresh.

28. Always excited about Birch's 43 hours events. I'm on their email list so I can post details when info comes out.