1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Birthday Brews

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by RichD, Jan 18, 2013.

1. RichD

RichD Advocate (715) Rhode Island Mar 18, 2012

What do you guys usually drink for your birthday? Does anyone set aside a specific beer for your day of birth? I'm also asking this because its my birthday today and I'm probably having some breakfast stout and maybe a bourbon county. Basically what I'm saying is, does every go with a favorite beer or a wale?

2. MattOC

MattOC Savant (320) Massachusetts Jan 13, 2013

First time poster, long time site reader, but this grabbed my eye since my birthday is next weekend. The only beer I've held onto specifically for the day/weekend is Westvleteren XII. Otherwise, it's an assortment of BCBS, Founders IS, Speedway Stout, and of course some Celebration.

3. BourbonDork

BourbonDork Savant (300) Virginia Sep 15, 2010

Actually, have not done that. I do set aside a certain whiskey and cigar that are enjoyed on my birthday but haven't done that for beer.....

4. My birthday a few months ago, Founders BFS with my breakfast.

Blind Pig/Lunch/PtE/HT

Some SNPAs at the bar when I went out

5. valdieu2

valdieu2 Savant (335) Maine Feb 23, 2012

First- Happy Birthday fellow Capricorn

RichD likes this.
  6. Nectar

Nectar Savant (310) New Jersey Jan 17, 2013

Usually the best thing ive got, plus a nice single malt scotch. At least thats my plan for my birthday next month. Have a Cable Car that will probably be the one.

7. If there is one thing better than a Happy Birthday, it's a Hoppy Birthday... My upcoming Bday will be spent drinknig Nugget Nectar and Hopslam (if it hits the PA market in time)... Cheers and happy birthday...

8. I just drink good beer.

9. dman127

dman127 Savant (250) Illinois Jul 11, 2011

Was trying to decide between a 2011 and 2012 Westvleteren XII or Fou Foune (thanks Matt - LaChupacabra). Just got tickets to Hawks/Redwings for that Sunday - so these will have to wait for another day. Good problem to have!

10. I spend it with my wife and kids and when it comes to special beers, I view it as "just another day". All I want is to enjoy a few good beers and whether they're from my cellar or not, it doesn't matter to me, just as long as they're good. (Which is pretty much my same attitude any other day of the year.)

Thickfreakness likes this.
  11. match1112

match1112 Initiate (0) Illinois Mar 2, 2011

Usually Budweiser or High Life. The weekend of my birthday is outdoor convention season and I usually spend it walking around hunting and fishing shows. Now that AB In-Bev has changed things up a bit, I might be able to enjoy something from GI.

ehammond1 and Oneinchaway like this.
  12. Oneinchaway

Oneinchaway Savant (255) California Jun 12, 2011

I usually set aside a few of my rare beers and pop open with friends on my bday. Doing so later this month for my next bday.

13. stealth

stealth Advocate (555) Minnesota Dec 16, 2011

A close friend got me a bottle of Surly Five last year for my bday, and that turned me onto sours for life. I had another bottle for my most recent birthday, and will continue the trend as long as able.

14. While I've never picked a birthday beer in the past, I recently decided to set aside a couple of bottles of Supplication only to find out that the place down the road would be tapping it on my birthday! Looks like those bottles will live to fight another day.

15. JuniperJesus

JuniperJesus Savant (430) Illinois Feb 26, 2011

It's not so much what beer you're drinking; it's about how you drink it: I drink mine in my birthday suit.

16. ledzeppelin4

ledzeppelin4 Savant (365) Illinois May 18, 2011

I had Chocolate Yeti on my birthday. (That was my birthday cake/ birthday gift to myself). I recommend something big and decadent. Also some old favorites to remind yourself why you love beer/life/whatever so much.

17. Derranged

Derranged Advocate (525) New York Mar 7, 2010

For my 30th birthday(Aug 2011) small get together/party/lunch I drank a 750 of Duvel Tripel Hop out of a Duvel Tulip. Like a boss.

18. This year it's probably going to be...

2011 Double Crooked Tree
    2012 Backwoods Bastard
    2012 He'Brew Jewbelation Sweet 16

So, I suppose I am setting aside some specific beer.

19. Hopstout

Hopstout Savant (360) Minnesota Dec 15, 2011

This year, I started my birthday on January 5th with Founders Bolt Cutter and can't remember what I ended with. :)