1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Bitches Brew Aging (?)

Discussion in 'Cellaring / Aging Beer' started by proseberry, Dec 27, 2012.

1. Hello. I cracked open a 1st Edition Bitches Brew last night, and it was a sour mess. I take it that this was not meant for aging? Any thoughts? Thanks.

2. Hanzo

Hanzo Champion (955) Virginia Feb 27, 2012

Sour? Infection probably.

YaKnowBrady likes this.
  3. camil1mj

camil1mj Savant (405) Michigan Oct 4, 2010

I had a bottle from 2010 two weeks ago (second batch I think) and it was awesome. Much better than the fresh bottle I ha earlier this year.

4. Hello. That's what I thought; I'll put another one in the icebox. I thought when I initially bought it it would sit like a RIS, but then see it labelled as an Ale. I'm not gonna toss my stash just yet. Thanks.

5. I opened a Batch 1 over the summer and it was fine. Personally, I prefer it fresh(er). Batch 3 is drinking nice right now; at the point I won't age it any longer for my tastes, not like I did with Batch 1.

6. 71gto

71gto Savant (270) Illinois Jun 3, 2009

Interesting info. I have yet to crack my batch 1 Bitches Brew. I may have to do that soon.

7. Jacob007

Jacob007 Savant (435) New Hampshire Sep 18, 2012

Should I celler my 2012 or drink now?

8. I think this beer is pretty good fresh, but I havent had a fresh one in a while. I drank 2 bottles from the first year this year, one was bottled in "2010 F" the other was "2010 3E". They were both pretty bad, age had done nothing well to them, they were thin and not very good at all. I have one more bottled in "2010 D" I'm expecting to be the same.