1. Rating beers by attributes (look, smell, taste, feel, overall) is back! Read the latest update ...
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Black Butte XX at EastSide Tavern in Olympia

Discussion in 'US - Northwest' started by John_M, Feb 19, 2013.

1. John_M

John_M Moderator (1,100) Oregon Oct 25, 2003 Staff Member

According to the bartender, this is the next beer slated to go on tap as part of the tavern's commitment to always having at least one vintage beer on tap. Right now they have on the 2009 Stone imperial stout.

The bartender mentioned that they've been around long enough now that they've been able to save a number of limited release kegs, that they hope to be able to offer on a regular basis. During the X-mas holidays it was the 2009 Jolly Roger, and now it's the 2009 Stone. Once that's gone it will be the Black Butter XX. I'm not entirely sure when the XX will be tapped, though the bartender seemed to think it would likely occur sometime next week. Apparently (according to what I was told), they also have a number of kegs of vintage abyss that they plan to put on tap at some point as well.

For anyone who might be interested, the 2009 Stone RIS is drinking really, really well right now. Price tag is an incredibly exhorbitant $5 for an 8 ounce glass. As I mentioned to the bartender, I was fortunate enough to try the 2009 a year or so back in Baltimore, but it was a bit more expensive than $5 for an 8 ounce glass.

libbey likes this.
  2. guajolote

guajolote Savant (415) Oregon Sep 12, 2008

They had '09 Abyss on when I was there after Thanksgiving. It was my first time trying a non-infected '09. Quite enjoyable. I love the Eastside.

So it's a diacetyl bomb? (I thought about putting one of the "stick out tongue" emoticons here, but couldn't bring myself to do it).

3. The Eastside is a terrible hole-in-the-wall dive in a Nowheresville town. Move along. There's nothing to see here. Don't let the large number of top-shelf taps at bottom-shelf prices fool you. And its laid-back atmosphere is a total turn-off for my big-city mentality.

4. John_M

So true... and yet, for some reason, I find I can no longer make my car drive through Olympia on my way to Tacoma without making a stop there first.

Price tag for a pint of RPM and 2009 Stone was $8.75. The cost would be double that for those two beers (or something comparable - though I'm not sure what I could find on the East Coast that is comparable to the RPM) if I bought them at my local back in Baltimore. Man, I hate having to pay these small town prices... makes me feel like an absolute rube.

flexabull likes this.
  5. And I just realized I used up my hyphen quota for the year.

Lordkrystic likes this.
  6. Sssshhhhh.

Lordkrystic and libbey like this.
  7. But do they allow kids?? ;)

draheim likes this.
  8. draheim

draheim Poobah (1,035) Washington Sep 18, 2010

Hey now!

9. No kids, no dogs, no plastic --- Adults with cold hard cash only.

10. Untappd pointed me to that place just before Thanksgiving. I saw lots of kids playing pool, ping pong, and drinking great beer. Most of the older folk were sitting at the bar stools. Nice place.

Lordkrystic and barleywinefiend like this.
  11. Yes, it's often full of Evergreen students. Heavy metal bands. Yet more reasons not to go.

beertunes likes this.
  12. leedorham

leedorham Champion (835) Washington Apr 27, 2006

Get off my lawn much?

13. No dogs and no cards. :(

14. NWer

NWer Advocate (660) Washington Mar 10, 2009

No response Matt? Must just be sucking it all in :cool:

libbey likes this.
  15. Any update on this?

16. whiskey

whiskey Savant (350) California Feb 25, 2012

Are dogs being allowed in Pubs/Alehouses a common thing?

17. John_M

Not unless it's a service animal, or you're drinking at the Lucky Lab in PDX.

18. I know BPP in West Seattle allows dogs inside. (not service dogs)

19. leedorham

Usually the tasting rooms and no-food places are more willing to let dogs in. Places with food have more health dept concerns to worry about.

Lordkrystic likes this.
  20. Agreed. Then there's Norm's Eatery in Fremont that is a restaurant that allows dogs in at all times. Excellent place (if you like dogs).

21. NWer

Fremont Brewing is dog and kid friendly as well.

checktherhyme and ford0626 like this.
  22. 09 Stone is on it's last legs and still drinking great. XX should be tapped anytime now. I'll update when the guys put it on.

You have no idea on the gems that are coming down the pipeworks........some pretty silly stuff.

checktherhyme, crushedvol and sliverX like this.
  23. Eastside use to be super dog friendly but we stopped once they started serving pizza through the window

crushedvol and sliverX like this.
  24. Stopped by this last weekend, the 09 Stone was fantastic, as was the 7 Seas Belgian Imperial Stout.

barleywinefiend likes this.
  25. About to go have a final pour of that 09.

crushedvol, sliverX and Lordkrystic like this.
  26. whiskey

whiskey Savant (350) California Feb 25, 2012

It's just interesting as someone brings their dog to my local alehouse and it hangs out. The dog is very cool and it doesn't bother me at all, I just wondered how the patron broached that subject with the owners.
    They don't have a kitchen so it falls in line with what everyone here has been saying.

27. I usually just ask before I bring my dog. The most interesting response is one I got from an owner/bartender of a local German sausage/beer bar:
    Me: "Can I bring my dog here?"
    Owner: "Is your dog a service dog?"
    Me: "Well, he's..."
    Owner: "Let me ask you again. Is your dog a service dog [speaking very slowly]?"
    Me: "Why, yes he is."
    Owner: "OK. That's all I can ask you. If you say he's a service dog, then he's a service dog. I can't ask you for papers of anything. He's welcome."

28. Dogs being allowed isn't super common, but no cards?

I just want a dog friendly place for pit stops between Seattle and Portland.

29. SteelersX

SteelersX Savant (420) New York Jan 30, 2011

Now that I know, Me and 15 of my friend are heading over!!!
    slammin time!

barleywinefiend likes this.
  30. Have you tried Vic's Pizzeria in Olympia: http://eatatvics.net/home.html. They allow dogs, the pizza is really good, and they have half-decent beers on tap.

slinkie likes this.
  31. Yinz guys keep ya shit over tha. You and ya Stillas.

libbey and SteelersX like this.
  32. Will definitely check it out. Thanks!

33. Love Vic's. Great Pie, solid draft lineup and dogs are allowed outside in a covered seating area.

crushedvol likes this.
  34. [​IMG]

ATM in the front of the house. Eastside is dog friendly just can't bring them in anymore. Bring him by and I will seriously pet the shit out him. Love me some dogs.

35. leedorham

I seen him pet a dog. He's real good at it.

36. BB XX is on tap and drinking amazing.

RochesterAaron likes this.
  37. NWer

Monday! Hope it lasts.

38. It should Larry

39. m4ttj0nes

m4ttj0nes Aficionado (215) Oregon Feb 21, 2012

hopefully it lasts until next weekend when im up =(

40. I heard rumblings that a keg of 2009 Mirror Mirror was on deck.