1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Black Note 4 Packs - Chicagoland?

Discussion in 'US - Great Lakes' started by dman127, Jan 18, 2013.

1. jplopez21

jplopez21 Advocate (570) Illinois Nov 14, 2012

You're effin awesome man. I called mr A's bout 3 hours ago and he said he had 3-4 packs left with 2 pack limit. Reserved 2 of them for myself. I gotta say it is definitely worth the hype, probably even better. Freaking amazing. It's so much different than BCBS and so much better than hopslam (probably cuz I'm biased towards RIS'). So well balanced. I thought for sure I wasn't gonna score any for myself. Especially when I went to armanettis in Aurora and the guy in front of me bought the last 4 pack. Cheers!

2. Anonymous1

Anonymous1 Savant (420) Illinois Mar 19, 2012

Rumor has it that Black Note is only Expedition stout barrel aged for about a year, and then blended with the Double Cream Stout to taste. There's your "balance", it's a blend.

I don't know about off flavors, but Black Note has always been thin to medium bodied. A good beer for sure, but I prefer BCBS and won't be chasing any BN in the future. Same opinion on BA Blackout, HF Damon, Hunahpu, etc good enough beers, but if it's not better than something readily available (BCBS, Abraxas) then why bother seeking it out?

3. ChugginOil

ChugginOil Initiate (0) Illinois Sep 23, 2010

Anything I can do to help a fellow local BA! I'm glad you're enjoying it. Next time I score some hyped allocated beers i'll BM you the location. Cheers!

TheIpaGuy and jplopez21 like this.
  4. And yet another thread about awesome beer becomes a comparison to BCBS.... Completely different beers!

JohnB87 and TheIpaGuy like this.
  5. wintbs379

wintbs379 Savant (300) Michigan Mar 13, 2009

BA can't have Chicago folk feeling bad about themselves now....

6. You bought a lotto ticket on the spot, right? Lucky you.

TheIpaGuy likes this.
  7. jplopez21

jplopez21 Advocate (570) Illinois Nov 14, 2012

So let me get this right, cuz I'm a little confused. BCBS is a Bourbon barrel aged Imperial stout. Black note is a bourbon barrel aged imperial stout. I mean i might be a little new to craft beers. but they seem to be the SAME exact type of beer to me. Yet they're different beers?

8. Mandark

Mandark Savant (305) Illinois Apr 8, 2008

One clerk told me 30 cases for the whole city.

Another guy told me 35.

Somebody else said 20.

And one dude in the far northern suburbs told me there are no bottles, it's only on draft in Chicago.

I've become less interested in shelf whale hunting, and more interested in tale spinners.

chanokokoro likes this.
  9. chanokokoro

chanokokoro Advocate (590) Illinois Jan 31, 2012

And that's the problem. Why release a beer for distribution if you can't put an even slightly respectable amount out. Just sell it out of the General Store and be done with it. You'll never satisfy the demand, but this is fairly ridiculous. And, no, I didn't get a bottle, but it didn't matter all that much to me. I've had Black Note on tap a few times and it's a solid brew that I wouldn't turn down. Is it a brew that I would consider to be in the exceptional range? Without a doubt, absolutely not.

What is important, however, is that I successfully conquered Vav's Hopslam challenge earlier today. I didn't even have to taste it, I could tell the difference by the nose. So could a couple of others including Vav.

10. chanokokoro

Black Note is blend of Expedition Stout (a Russian Imperial Stout) and Double Cream Stout (a lower abv. American Stout) that has been aged in bourbon barrels. However, it also has added hype and rarity that drives up the ratings and demand among those that frequent this site.

Brunite, beergurujr and ravot like this.
  11. stxSS07

stxSS07 Initiate (0) Illinois Nov 23, 2010

I've got a bottle for you if you tell me about this "Hopslam challenge".

12. ravot

ravot Savant (460) Illinois Mar 20, 2012

13. chanokokoro

Vav cellared a six pack of last years Hopslam. Between 2:00 and 2:30 today he pulled it out and started pouring a side by side of this years Hopslam and last years Hopslam for anyone who stopped in the store and wanted to participate. The challenge was to identify the fresh from the aged Hopslam. A couple of us were able to distinguish last years Hopslam from the fresh Hopslam solely by the nose without even tasting it. The early results were fairly mixed, however the number of those that were successful in correctly identifying the aged Hopslam from the fresh Hopslam were growing when I left this afternoon. I don't want to threadjack here, however there were some other interesting things were noticed. Vav pointed out the head of the aged Hopslam was much more pronounced and the aged Hopslam actually had more lively carbonation (due the fact that its bottle-conditioned and the yeast has had longer to work.)

ChrisPro likes this.
  14. stxSS07

stxSS07 Initiate (0) Illinois Nov 23, 2010

Both of you fellas can have a 12oz'er of the 'Note if you want. I don't do the whole Twitter thing very actively...I made mine 3 years ago when I found out "that's what you need to get tickets for Dark Lord Day".

A hat-tip and bow to chanokokoro for the lengthy explanation! Sounds neat-o.

ChugginOil and chanokokoro like this.
  15. Vav

Vav Savant (485) Illinois Jul 27, 2008

The final tally was 15 were able to correctly identify the aged hopslam, 8 were not.

chanokokoro and beergurujr like this.
  16. taxman

taxman Savant (255) Illinois Feb 22, 2012

After reading this, I'm so glad I made the trip to Bell's last weekend and bought it there.

17. chriltz

chriltz Aficionado (185) Illinois Mar 21, 2010

Taste wise, how was the aged hopslam? I've got a 6 pack somewhere in the basement that never got consumed last year...is it worth drinking?

18. jpsy422

jpsy422 Savant (300) Illinois Jul 12, 2009

Think of it as a honey pale and yes, its very drinkable.

foobula likes this.
  19. ravot

exactly.
    i found a couple in the fridge last year that were a year old. extra honey. bonus good.

20. JohnB87

JohnB87 Savant (325) Michigan Mar 14, 2011

But I thought that Hopslam was supposed to turn into a Barleywine after aging?

21. aclara

aclara Aficionado (135) Illinois Mar 16, 2011

I was told Hopslam turns into more like Maltslam

22. I was told Three Floyds burned down.

CityofBals likes this.
  23. MarcatGSB

MarcatGSB Initiate (0) Michigan Jan 8, 2011

I was told it turns into Arctic Panzer Wolf.

Vav likes this.
  24. Docrock

Docrock Savant (435) Illinois Jan 21, 2012

Not to cause a mad rush up I-94 but was at Eccentric Cafe for lunch today, Black Note on tap. Then walked over to General Store and the cooler was full of Black Note, limit 1 case and nobody in the store was even looking at it...

KevSal and jegross2 like this.
  25. jegross2

jegross2 Advocate (715) Illinois Jan 3, 2010

Who said the trade value of those 750s plummeted again? If we're going by single bottles, a 750 ML > 12 oz ;)

26. Based on this I made the trip up on Wednesday, so thank you for your post.

Was stoked to find they also had the following on tap from an event they held over the weekend:

2007 Cherry Stout
    2010 Expedition Stout
    2011 Black Note
    2007 Third Coast Ale
    2009 Eccentric Ale
    Batch 7000
    BA BATCH 9000

Well worth the trip.

Docrock and jegross2 like this.
  27. jegross2

jegross2 Advocate (715) Illinois Jan 3, 2010

How was their batch 7000?

28. Yeah that was the first thing I went for. Could not have asked for a better first pour for my day.

29. tinypyramids

tinypyramids Savant (445) Illinois Jul 19, 2012

they still have black note cases? i was thinking of driving up tomorrow morning, though i'd definitely call first before making the trek.

30. Yes definitely call. I made my plans starting with calling the General Store near closing time Tuesday night. fwiw the bartender at Eccentric did say that my case was from their final pallet which they received on Tuesday.

31. Do these 12 oz bottles taste as good on the 750s from last year?

32. pmoney

pmoney Advocate (600) Colorado Apr 15, 2011

No, they taste much less rare.

tinypyramids and ravot like this.
  33. Makes sense...

34. PlayaPlaya

PlayaPlaya Savant (285) Illinois Sep 19, 2012

I was able to snag 8 bottles here in my little town 60 miles west of Chicago in Dekalb with little problem, there was a few cases to be had.
    And my buddy got 3 in addition to my 8....already drank those :D

[​IMG]

35. I'll trade you a 4pk of BCBS for all 8 of them. Wouldn't want to force you to drink something with an "off" flavor.

ravot and atone315 like this.
  36. PDZ

PDZ Savant (260) Illinois Jun 26, 2012

he meant the flavor was "off" the chain delicious

ravot likes this.
  37. atone315

atone315 Advocate (660) Wisconsin Oct 8, 2008

DeKalb strikes again!!! The beer mecca!!!!

38. nucmedmario

nucmedmario Savant (330) Illinois Sep 1, 2010

little problem with black note, but looks like you have a drug problem with that razor blade and residue on your table.

39. ravot

good eye. but seeing your avatar, doesn't surprise me.