1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Black Note in DC, MoCo, NoVA

Discussion in 'US - Mid-Atlantic' started by DCgolfpro, Jan 18, 2013.

1. DCgolfpro

DCgolfpro Member

Heard anything? Total Wine McLean has "never heard of it" and Norm's doesn't have any clue.
  2. raveskdr

raveskdr Member

Noone will know for a couple of weeks. Itll be insanely limited if it makes it.
  3. nihiloexnihil

nihiloexnihil Member

I talked to the guy at Rodman's, and he had "never heard of it." Sigh.
  4. stereosforgeeks

stereosforgeeks Member

No one has heard of it it seems!! Grrr.
  5. Jtc2811

Jtc2811 Member

Did Nolan say that? He's the only person you can really ask about the beer department. Everyone else doesn't know rochefort 10 from Miller lite
  6. nihiloexnihil

nihiloexnihil Member

Not sure what his name was, but when I asked to talk to "the beer department," he was the one on the phone. So maybe it was just some rando, which I guess leaves a little bit of hope.
  7. Jtc2811

Jtc2811 Member

I wouldn't trust any info you don't get directly from him. Their guy in charge of orders to distributors is also a good bet but I can't remember his name. Everyone else in the dept, while friendly, knows no more than an average cashier or stocker
  8. Moonman1206

Moonman1206 Member

Nick at arrowine has at least heard about it, but has no idea if it will make it to VA
  9. AleToTheVictors

AleToTheVictors Member

Seems like a decent amount hit the Chicago area at least a week ago based on what has been posted for trade. My baseless speculation is that we'll see none or very little down here. If no bottles make it down, let's hope for on tap somewhere. Last year, I was fortunate to get some at Big Hunt during DC Beer week. IMO it definitely lived up to the hype.
  10. jaheussner

jaheussner Member

Any update on this? With Hopslam hitting, I figured there might have been some whispers.
    stereosforgeeks likes this.
  11. InfinityonTrial

InfinityonTrial Member

With the disappointing sixer of Hopslam I got I kind of want to get some BN to make up for it.
  12. truckerock

truckerock Member

Guess it wasnt on the Hopslam truck....
  13. El_Zilcho

El_Zilcho Member

I hope this isn't Oracle all over again, they kept saying it was coming and I dont think it ever did, not in NoVA anyway.
  14. MattNelson

MattNelson Member

Why disappointed? I haven't opened my pack from yesterday yet to make judgment.
  15. InfinityonTrial

InfinityonTrial Member

I found there was almost no hop presence whatsoever. Very mild aroma, extremely muted flavors, almost a dry bitterness with no big flavor profile like I was expecting. I don't know what happened.
  16. Jtc2811

Jtc2811 Member

That's what i thought of last year's. I really don't understand the hype over Hopslam. I'll try a bottle every year but it never strikes me as anything more than a solid DIPA.
  17. siege06nd

siege06nd Member

Once Wings of Armageddon makes it to cans and more regular distro, Hopslam will be but a distant memory in these parts.
  18. starrdogg

starrdogg Member

Lagunitas Sucks has officially overtaken Hopslam as the January DIPA of choice for me. This year may very well be the very last time I ever buy a sixer of Hopslam. Not that it's a bad beer, but it's not worth what it costs anymore with the other options out there.
  19. InfinityonTrial

InfinityonTrial Member

Yeah Sucks was far and away better. I have to hope this was just a bad batch of Hopslam. I had one more tonight hoping it would somehow be better but it was actually worse. I don't think I've ever had a beer that smelled like nothing. And then tasted like bitter water.
  20. bum732

bum732 Member

I had Hopslam for the first time last year. While a solid beer, not even close to being worth the price they charge here in DC. I'm not even bothering looking this year.
    Beerontwowheels likes this.
  21. Jtc2811

Jtc2811 Member

This, a thousand times this!

Mark my words, DC BA's: OTWOA will become not only THE DIPA of the district, but will become our own personal Heady/Pliny/Abrasive!
    jacewg likes this.
  22. MattNelson

MattNelson Member

Woah! I am going to need try mine soon to compare. Where did you get your pack?
  23. InfinityonTrial

InfinityonTrial Member

24. jacewg

jacewg Member

I could not agree more.

If I were to review Sucks, it would be in the 4.5 to 4.75 range overall. If I were to review Hopslam, it would be right around 4.25 to 4.5. One is $11.99 a 6/er. The other is $22 to $30 a 6/er.

Really a no-brainer here. I couldn't agree more. Wayy too many good DIPAs out there to pay $22+ for one.

I also agree on the OTWOA. Once it gets canned and more people have access to it, it's going to blow up in a major way.

I had it on tap for almost a month at Smoke and Barrel and I miss it dearly.
    AleToTheVictors likes this.
  25. ceazaleo

ceazaleo Member

Just passed on a sixer of Hopslam at Rodman's. At 24.99 plus tax, Hopslam ain't that good! My price point though would be between 18-21. That's telling me that I buy some of the hype, knowing that I should know better.
  26. DCgolfpro

DCgolfpro Member

That moment a Black Note thread turns into an DIPA discussion.
    robohop and mcaulifww like this.
  27. starrdogg

starrdogg Member

Ha, well there's no new news about Black Note, might as well talk about something Bell's-related!
  28. smakawhat

smakawhat Member

I had a hard time justifying it this year. Still havent pulled the trigger, kind of walked into the store.. saw

Sucks..
    Hop Cannon
    Lagunitas IPA
    Hop Notch
    Schlafly TIPA
    Hop Stoopid
    Brau corruption
    DFH 60/90

On the shelves...

Yup plenty of good options ... i can wait.
  29. starrdogg

starrdogg Member

Wait, there's still Tasmanian around? Is this a new drop? I assumed it was gone for the year.
  30. smakawhat

smakawhat Member

There was a new drop about 2-3 weeks ago.. and there was maybe one pack on the shelf i saw during the.time i was told slam came in. Its all gone now of course ;)
  31. DruRho

DruRho Member

Dammit - everytime I see the title of this thread in my Unread Watched Threads list I get my hopes up that someone's posting that Black Note is being sold at Rodman's or some such place in DC.
  32. Jtc2811

Jtc2811 Member

Magruders said in 2 weeks from today...
  33. Shmuffalo

Shmuffalo Member

Pittsburgh just got some, so it must be (somewhat) close to your area.
  34. InfinityonTrial

InfinityonTrial Member

Ugh, right after I leave...
  35. DCgolfpro

DCgolfpro Member

For Black Note?
  36. Eriktheipaman

Eriktheipaman Member

Alewerks Bitter Valentine whattttt? I'm hoping it hits this week but we'll see. Oh yeah and Black Note.....
    El_Zilcho likes this.
  37. brennser

brennser Member

Ha! they hadn't heard of it until i asked them on Saturday......
  38. Ironcityblackand

Ironcityblackand Member

What shop or Shops do you know got it? I heard from a pretty good source that Western Pa got a grand total of 5 cases. Don't know if those numbers are 100% accurate. But I bet they are not far off.
  39. Shmuffalo

Shmuffalo Member

House of 1000 beers got a case. They also got Jai Alai. 'twas a pretty awesome trip.
  40. Ironcityblackand

Ironcityblackand Member

Yeah I know they did. I was wondering if you heard of any other places that got one of those supposedly 5 cases. How much were they charging a bottle. I know they sold out of them. I was just wondering. Thanks and Cheers!