1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Black Note in Ohio?

Discussion in 'US - Great Lakes' started by MajorBuckeye, Jan 14, 2013.

1. MajorBuckeye

MajorBuckeye Savant (280) Ohio Jan 8, 2012

I would very much like to find a 4-pack if it does hit distribution in Ohio. Hopslam seems to be hitting shelves in Columbus today. Anyone run into Black Note yet?

2. Jparkanzky

Jparkanzky Initiate (0) Ohio Apr 5, 2011

It may be coming to Cleveland Wednesday, so if it makes it to Columbus (that could be a very big if) I'd expect it within a week or so.

EDIT:
    If you find it, I'd be shocked if you can buy an entire 4-pack

3. MajorBuckeye

No doubt. I should have said that I'd be happy to find "any amount".

4. frazbri

frazbri Advocate (625) Ohio Oct 29, 2003

It does have label approval according to the state's website, so it should be coming. (I'm assuming next week, but that's just a guess)

5. brewtus

brewtus Savant (355) Ohio Dec 29, 2012

A few store owners have told me everything for late january to march... Who knows but I'd love concrete info

6. Jparkanzky

Jparkanzky Initiate (0) Ohio Apr 5, 2011

I don't think Ohio as a whole is going to get more than a dozen cases.

7. Stinger80OH

Stinger80OH Advocate (655) Ohio Nov 11, 2011

Tapping at Deagan's in Lakewood sometime this week.

8. Envelopes

Envelopes Initiate (0) Ohio Aug 26, 2012

I would think if anywhere would be getting it in Columbus it would probably be Weiland's. This is just based on the 'best Bell's accounts get it' that I've seen tossed around and the fact that Savor probably hasn't been moving craft quite as long and Barrel & Bottle is a much smaller operation. Maybe Anderson's will get it? This seems like the sort of thing that's gone before most people even hear about it landing. Either way I'm sure that if/when it does come it will be gone before I get out of work.

9. beesy

beesy Savant (380) Ohio Jul 21, 2010

Hoping weilands or the like. Refuse to shop at Anderson's any more because of the recent customer service issues posted and their westy release. Sucks because I used to buy TONS of beer there. Might to time to get a trade setup for it as I'm not taking off work and waiting in line for a hour to get it even if it does show up here in town. Walez bro ;)

gpawned and pest like this.
  10. Corbet

Corbet Savant (330) Michigan Nov 7, 2010

What happened with the Westy release down south? The release up in Toledo went off without a hitch - if you called and got your name on the list around the time the locations found out they were getting the bricks, you got one.

Extravadanza likes this.
  11. brewtus

Anderson's here actually didn't get it I'm told, they drove some here from their maumee store so SOME people would get it

12. pest

pest Savant (385) Ohio Sep 2, 2007

The mythical lists that don't exist (but do for some people)? There have been several problems with the Anderson's down here, I'm with Beesy on this.

13. Envelopes

Envelopes Initiate (0) Ohio Aug 26, 2012

And they were splitting the bricks into singles.

14. Corbet

Corbet Savant (330) Michigan Nov 7, 2010

I think I remember Maumee getting 70 bricks, I wonder if they really got 100 and sent the 30 down or something.

15. williamDbar

williamDbar Aficionado (215) Ohio Jul 5, 2012

Deagan's isnt tapping it this week. It may happen in the next couple of months. They plan on doing a '12 & '13 side by side with POSSIBLY another BA beer from Bell's.

Jake2HRTD and fiver29 like this.
  16. vrbulldog22

vrbulldog22 Savant (430) Ohio Sep 5, 2010

Larry Bell was at the tapping of the first keg of Hopslam for the state of OH on Sunday & he said they're looking at most likely the beginning of February, for what that's worth.

17. GStein

GStein Aficionado (160) Ohio Sep 11, 2012

I spoke to someone at Anderson's in Columbus yesterday when I was picking up my Hopslam. He said 30 cases max for the whole state of Ohio. Distro already has Black Note but is not releasing yet. He didn't seem to know exactly when he would be receiving his allotment. Naturally there will be a 1 bottle per customer limit because of the highly limited supply.

18. brewtus

Can someone slam my inbox when they find it in Columbus please?

19. MajorBuckeye

Ditto for Columbus. Or Cincinnati for that matter.

20. BB1313

BB1313 Champion (780) Ohio Jul 16, 2009

Sorry, I had to give this one a bumb... although it'll probably end up being every man/woman for themself with this beer..

21. brewtus

I have heard they are waiting to sell more hopslam before it hits stores in Ohio. So everyone go take out a loan and buy more hopslam

22. pest

Ha, as if hopslam needs any help to sell...

23. itsthepleats

itsthepleats Savant (340) Ohio Mar 19, 2012

I've been told 20 cases for Cbus by two separate beer managers now. They both thought mid-late February, with "top" accounts getting all. 1 bottle will likely be the limit everywhere.

What are the chances we'll see this on tap?

24. Justin_Neff

Justin_Neff Savant (255) Ohio Jun 21, 2012

Just an FYI for anybody in the Cincy area. I talked to the owner of my favorite shop and he said that his Bells rep said IF it came this far south it would probably go to Jungle Jim's and that would be it.

25. screamking

screamking Savant (325) Ohio Jan 20, 2013

What I'm hearing from jungle jims is they will be getting 1 case mid-feb.

26. Justin_Neff

Justin_Neff Savant (255) Ohio Jun 21, 2012

East Gate or Fairfield?

27. screamking

Sorry... Fairfield

28. beesy

beesy Savant (380) Ohio Jul 21, 2010

Its been on tap in CBUS before, although very limited. The time i recall was last Spring'ish when Matt the Millers had a pairing dinner with Bells then served the remaining Black Note the next day. I dont know why I am thinking spring but I think it was late spring time early summer. I'm sure someone else has a better recollection than I do of the timeframe.

29. Cottzilla

Cottzilla Savant (265) Ohio Dec 2, 2010

Jungle Jim's beer and wine manager told me that both locations would get 1 case.

30. BeerBuckeye

BeerBuckeye Savant (430) Ohio Oct 2, 2009

It was mid-June. I only remember because I was next in line to get a glass when the keg kicked.

31. screamking

I hope they break down into bottles.

32. pest

People will complain either way.

33. screamking

Good point. I guess more product would be the only right answer, but that's not going to happen.

34. pest

Yea, I'm with you though. I'm always in favor of lower limits to get it in more hands.

35. screamking

Fairfield jungle jims has it. 1 bottle limit. Got mine.

36. MajorBuckeye

Thanks for the update! And now the hunt for the possible, maybe, perhaps case or 2 slated for Columbus (allegedly) can heat up.

37. miketd

miketd Advocate (510) Ohio Mar 2, 2006

On tap at Brew Kettle. Right now.

38. MajorBuckeye

We've had confirmed bottle sightings in the Cleveland and Cincinnati areas the past 2 days......c'mon Columbus, don't let me down......

39. Price please.

howopeeps likes this.
  40. screamking

6.99 a bottle, with a one bottle limit. Although I did see some bottles of black note in the singles section that I could have grabbed as well. Don't know if the cashiers knew there was a limit or not.