1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Black Note in Ohio?

Discussion in 'US - Great Lakes' started by MajorBuckeye, Jan 14, 2013.

1. BeerBuckeye

BeerBuckeye Savant (420) Ohio Oct 2, 2009

Weiland's tweeted they had some at 6pm. 1 bottle limit

2. brewtus

brewtus Savant (355) Ohio Dec 29, 2012

I was there at 6 when they started selling it, there wasn't anyone else there though. I know aficionados got some too but it went real quick and never hit the floor

3. GStein

GStein Aficionado (160) Ohio Sep 11, 2012

I missed out unfortunately since I was busy all day. I wonder if any stores have any left over that will be available at open of business tomorrow. I've been looking for this for so long.

4. MajorBuckeye

MajorBuckeye Savant (280) Ohio Jan 8, 2012

I feel lucky to have snagged what appeared to be the second-to-last bottle at Weiland's. We're heading down to Cincy today for the weekend, so I won't get another chance to look around Columbus.

5. itsthepleats

itsthepleats Savant (330) Ohio Mar 19, 2012

Since there's no Secret Blacknote Society here in Ohio, The Andersons told me they'll be releasing their stock on March 1st at 5pm. They did this with KBS last year and ran out before they got through the line. I walked up about 5 mins before the "release" and got a couple bottles. I'd imagine Black Note will be a one bottle limit. Good luck!

Edit: You may want to verify this date and time since I've gotten bad gouge from them in the past.

6. BeerBuckeye

BeerBuckeye Savant (420) Ohio Oct 2, 2009

There may be no Secret Blacknote Society, but it's likely Anderson's has a Secret, Not Real, But Really It Is Real Reserve List.

7. screamking

screamking Savant (325) Ohio Jan 20, 2013

Where do you guys think ohio fits into bells per state sales? I know this stuff was limited but I think ohio should have gotten more black note then it did.

8. weaksauce

weaksauce Savant (325) Ohio Sep 2, 2010

I heard 20 cases for the state. Seems limited compared to how much bells gets sold here. But it seems to be a draft regular over the past year..

9. brewtus

They told me tasting and sale at 5pm on the 1st

itsthepleats likes this.
  10. RayOhioFelton

RayOhioFelton Advocate (540) Ohio May 24, 2011

I was in as all grocery store in Michigan a month ago and my friends and I cleaned out 5 four packs that were rung up Wong so I traded one and kept one at the price of 6.99 for the four pack. Tried to tell the cashier it was the wrong price but she argued it was right...you win that argument all day ma'am!

A day later I stared about 20 cases in the face at Bell's brewery!!! Great weekend!

Brew Kettle (Strongsville, OH) still had it ontap on Tuesday!

11. screamking

Exactly what I'm talking about, the brewery had a two or three case max per person and all of ohio got 20 cases. Grocery stores got it Michigan only the top specialty stores got it in ohio. I totally understand that the brewery wants to take care of their own, but they could try harder to please their loyal out of state customers as well. All of cincinnati only got 2 cases...

12. RayOhioFelton

RayOhioFelton Advocate (540) Ohio May 24, 2011

Call and see if they have it at the brewery, blow off a Saturday and make it a day trip with a nice tasting at the brewery. You will get a case or two of Black Note and drink a few beers you aren't able to get outside the tap house.

screamking likes this.
  13. brewtus

Whole foods dublin, now. 1case

14. tells

tells Aficionado (125) Ohio Aug 21, 2012

A terrible week to be out of town. If anyone got an extra or 2, would anyone be interested in an IP trade (Columbus) for BB4D? Have two extra...BM me if so.

15. bb8189

bb8189 Savant (260) Ohio Sep 25, 2008

What are the chances Black Note shows up on draft somewhere in Columbus? Can I count on my fellow BA's to post back here if it turns up somewhere?

16. Lipsntoes

Lipsntoes Savant (305) Ohio Jul 15, 2012

Just had one of these about an hour ago in Dayton.... stopped in for a growler pour at my local stop and the rep running the wine tasting had a single bottle he was generous enough to share. OMG what a wonderrul beer.

17. Hindsight

Hindsight Aficionado (245) Ohio Oct 8, 2011

Any other Columbus sightings or should this one be, with the exception of Andersons, considered done?

18. brewtus

Kenny rd market got a case but I'd def call first, probably a one bottle limit

19. djkuback

djkuback Aficionado (105) Ohio Dec 31, 2010

Anyone from Northwest Ohio heard anything about it hitting our stores? I haven't seen or heard anything. I guess I should have made the trip up to Kalamazoo while they still had it...

20. MajorBuckeye

Anyone know if Blacklick Wine & Spirits landed a case? The last time I was there Joe said that if Black Note came in they'd likely end up doing a raffle similar to KBS last year.

21. itsthepleats

From the source: Joe says tasting only, 1 case, split between 2 stores (blacklick and Powell). He's lining up a date. Not sure if he'll raffle off some bottles. I like this approach.

Also, FYI, Bourbon Barrel Siberian Night is on the growler station. And Creeper may make an appearance next week!

Envelopes and MajorBuckeye like this.
  22. beesy

beesy Savant (380) Ohio Jul 21, 2010

BB Siberian @ Blacklick? If so Ill have to make a trip over there.

23. ouits

ouits Aficionado (160) Ohio Jul 24, 2012

I talked to Joe @ Blacklick last week. They are doing a tasting w/Black Note the first Thursday in March with a raffle for the left over bottles. I'll be out of town. :(

@beesy I can confirm they have BB Siberian at the Blacklick location for growlers. Joe was also talking about Creeper coming in soon.

24. shep8821

shep8821 Aficionado (135) Ohio Feb 8, 2013

do you know what time the tasting and raffle will be?

25. MajorBuckeye

From the World of Beer - Brewery District e-mail:

Bell's Brewery Tap Takeover Tomorrow

Thursday, February 21st
    Featured Drafts:
    Hopslam - Smitten Golden Rye Ale - Expedition Stout - Christmas Ale- Double Cream Ale - Oarsmen Ale Two Hearted IPA- Best Brown (Cask) - Third Coast Lager Quinannan Falls Special Lager

We have 1 case of Black Note Stout that will be sold to Loyalty Members on a first come first served basis.

26. beesy

beesy Savant (380) Ohio Jul 21, 2010

Thanks! It will give me an excuse to go to our East Broad St office close to the shop.

27. ouits

ouits Aficionado (160) Ohio Jul 24, 2012

The tastings are at 6PM.

Just got an update they have Creeper on tap now!

itsthepleats likes this.
  28. itsthepleats

Stopped in Savor yesterday for a half growler of Creeper (also had Bodhi), and there was a Blacknote 4-pack sitting out on the counter. Not for sale but a teaser for the tasting they plan to have early next month. They said to watch Facebook, sounds like they got 1 case (as is the norm round these parts).

29. fakewadeboggs

fakewadeboggs Disciple (70) Ohio Nov 6, 2011

My wife and I went to the Andersons yesterday to check it out. We had to participate in the Bells tasting in order to get a bottle each of Black Note. The tasting was $10 for 7 samples(including Black Note) and we got to keep the Bells snifter. The Black Note bottles were $7 each. Overall not bad.

30. modern

modern Aficionado (210) Ohio May 31, 2012

Savor has been posting about their Black Note for months now. That place is driving me nuts, first they are gonna sell it and announce on facebook, now they are holding it back for a tasting..?

31. itsthepleats

I hear you. The whole 20/25 cases for the entire state has made for some craziness. In Savors case, I think they're learning quickly about the relentlessness of the beer geek....and have yet to iron out the kinks for beer releases. I do appreciate that they seem to be trying to do the best thing....maybe just not the best this time.

Tastings do seem a decent approach with this beer. Sounds like The Anderson's release went ok. I'm still hoping to find this on tap, but if you're angling for a bottle or want to check out a tasting, I count at least 3 cases yet to see the light....Savor, Blacklick, and St. James.

32. pest

pest Savant (385) Ohio Sep 2, 2007

I thought St. James was putting there's out last Thursday?

33. itsthepleats

From their Twitter: Bell'sapalooza Event 3/28 with draft Hopslam, Oberon release+ bottles of Black Note Stout

Unless that 3 should be a 2, it's a few Thursdays away.

34. owen49

owen49 Aficionado (155) Ohio Jun 13, 2009

I thought the Andersons release was actually very well done. The beer guy set up a tasting of several Bell's beers, including a blend of Expedition and Cream Stout (in a wine decanter, which is something I had never thought of, but will probably try now), and included a nice Bell's snifter with the $10 tasting price. The first X (not sure the number) people that showed up got the option to buy 1 bottle of Black Note. But everyone (as far as I could tell) got to at least try Black Note as part of the tasting.

In a world where no method of releasing limited beers pleases everyone, I think this is close to the best option.

Also amusing to me is that he apparently didn't even let the Black Note come into the store before the day of the tasting - to make sure that nobody accidentally put it on the floor or get talked into selling it early. He made the distributor keep the case in his basement.

The only reason I'm noting all of this is that the Andersons has gotten flak in the past for handling limited releases and I wanted to point out what was (in my view) a very nice job.

itsthepleats likes this.
  35. pest

Agree with all of the above.

36. pest

Good news, I thought I had missed it. Thanks.

itsthepleats likes this.
  37. Envelopes

Envelopes Initiate (0) Ohio Aug 26, 2012

I like the "making sure everyone at least gets to try it" plan these places are trying out.
    I just hope the next beer this happens with doesn't take months of rumors (after all surrounding states have long since gotten it) to actually get released though!

38. MarcatGSB

MarcatGSB Initiate (0) Michigan Jan 8, 2011

:confused: Which one is it? Please the locals, or please the out of staters? If it came in above 12%, there would be a thread on that too.

39. modern

modern Aficionado (210) Ohio May 31, 2012

Is it tacky to lament missing this awesome sounding event at St. James because you will be at Founders for the KBS release? Probably.

gpawned and NABS like this.
  40. screamking

Why talk about anything... There would be a thread on that too! This is a message board, everything should be talked about or thread started for.