1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Black Note vs. KBS vs. Goose Island Bourbon County Stout

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by VeganUndead, Apr 7, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. VeganUndead

VeganUndead Advocate (675) Virginia Apr 25, 2012

Redd's Apple? No one...?

2. j47paco

j47paco Savant (370) California Dec 19, 2010

Agreed. New Zealand's greatest export.

Appleadvocate.com

FUNKPhD and TychoNDC like this.
  3. jplopez21

jplopez21 Advocate (590) Illinois Nov 14, 2012

Black Note (by a hair)>BCBS>KBS

general consensus is this years KBS isnt as boozy as it used to be. Honestly didnt get any "hot" booze from KBS at all. Regardless, awesome beer. But the complexity and smoothness of black note is just amazing.

SpunkyHopslammer likes this.
  4. Phacoman

Phacoman Savant (265) Pennsylvania Jun 26, 2011

I know...I just thought it was a funny way to phrase that.

Cheers.

5. riemster

riemster Advocate (595) Ohio Mar 17, 2011

Hoppin Frog Barrel Aged BORIS!

I just changed my profile picture late last night. I am in no way biased towards hoppin frog... lol.

6. The BBBW from Central Waters is fantastic.

stayclean likes this.
  7. Thecherryman

Thecherryman Initiate (0) Arizona Dec 8, 2010

Bcs -> black note -> KbS

founder26 and erik_c like this.
  8. stayclean

stayclean Savant (360) Wisconsin Mar 17, 2012

I haven't had Black Note since last Feb, but I like these beers greatly. :cool:

9. Benish

Benish Advocate (520) Wisconsin Mar 13, 2013

Black Notes > BCBS > KBS

However I just had a Peruvian Morning this afternoon. Good stuff!

10. The journey is what matters the most

SiRCRX likes this.
  11. bobhits

bobhits Savant (465) Kentucky Oct 31, 2006

I need a bottle of black note to compare since I don't think any bourbon barrel beer should be had on draft for this kinda comparison. But I can't imagine any beer ever touches a well aged Bourbon County Stout, it is just liquid heaven with a few years on it. Black Note I've had twice on draft and it was honestly just amazing in its own right. KBS is great, but it isn't in the same class as the other two imo.

12. Are you comparing aged BCBS to fresh KBS? IMO BCBS ages much better, but KBS is better fresh. Two different takes on the style that are both done well.

13. bobhits

bobhits Savant (465) Kentucky Oct 31, 2006

Yes I am comparing the two beers at imo their best levels. KBS is ideal around 6-9 months old. BCS 2-3 years depending on how hot it was fresh. I'd still take BCS fresh over KBS in a heart beat though I'm not sure how Black Note would compare fresh against Bourbon County...it also depends on the batch of BCS or KBS and I'm sure Black Note as well, since these are bourbon barrel aged there is a good bit of variance year to year and I'm sure even bottle to bottle as some barrels can just impart more alcohol.

Or to sum this all up. No beer can compare to BCS aged. Nothing I've had is even worthy of being compared. It is truly the best beer I've ever had and nothing is close.

14. That is your opinion and that is fine, I think fresh KBS is better than fresh BCBS though aged it is the opposite. Oh well I love both and have a few of each, maybe I will actually be able to age more than normal this year though I doubt it. As for best beer ever I will take Fou' Foune but that is a different thread.

15. AgentMunky

AgentMunky Savant (450) California Dec 29, 2009

KBS > Black Note > BCBS

...but I've never tried it blind. And the chances of me ever having the three together are diminishingly slim.

16. DovaliHops

DovaliHops Savant (480) California Nov 16, 2009

Awesome avatar. :cool:

Drucifer likes this.
  17. plumcrazyfx

plumcrazyfx Savant (450) Minnesota Aug 26, 2010

This really comes down to whether you like bourbon forward beers, or not. Most are either picking KBS>BN>BCBS or BCBS>BN>KBS. Only a few have BN first - I dont think it's a coincidence. If you like bourbon you pick BCBS first, if not, KBS first. Four years ago I would have gone KBS first - Now BCBS is my favorite by far.

erik_c and riemster like this.
  18. KBS>BCBS>BN
    The first two are almost interchangeable depending on whether I have a taste for coffee or not. The Black Note is maybe a half step behind..it's super smooth, but for me just a tad lacking in the flavor profile compared to the other two.

19. Just had bcbs and kbs for the first time in the last couple of weeks. for me its not even close between the two, bcbs is just bursting with flavor. cant imagine that there is a better beer out there. kbs was very good as well, just not in the same league. unfortunately never had black note.

PsilohsaiBiN likes this.
  20. Try yourself a pink lady or a picific rose and make sure it's rock hard...then sir, you will be changed

TychoNDC likes this.
  21. nc41

nc41 Advocate (745) North Carolina Sep 25, 2008

Each are so different and pronounced I doubt that blind makes any difference. All are great in their own right and I love all 3 in their own way and could never pick a favorite they're all that good IMO. If you like coffee you like KBS, you like chocolate viscous big bodied stouts you like BCBS, Black Note is lighter than BCBS less viscous more carbonation, but I loved the only bottle I could buy here..

22. taxman

taxman Savant (265) Illinois Feb 22, 2012

They're each a little different and outstanding in their own way. Depending on what I want at any given time, I would take any of these.

23. manutdfan

manutdfan Initiate (0) Florida May 25, 2012

KBS, BCBS, Black Note a distant third for me

24. Cyclone8

Cyclone8 Savant (475) Minnesota Oct 19, 2011

The reason that the KBS was "the most coffee forward" is because it's a coffee stout, and the other two aren't.
    A better point of comparison would be other BA coffee stouts, like BCBCS or Central Waters' Peruvian Morning.

25. Roudy1

Roudy1 Savant (270) Iowa Sep 29, 2012

I have a hard time picking between BCBS and Black Note. One side of me loves the in your face booziness of BCBS and one side of me loves how well everything melds together in Black Note. And KBS is completely different, I don't think I'd try to rank it against those two.

PsilohsaiBiN and szmnnl99 like this.
  26. I've had (and still have a bunch of) all three. They're all so different. For me, it's BCBS>BN>KBS.

BCBS is just so flavorful and powerful, with a massive bourbon hit up front. I love it. And once you get past the bourbon, it's almost like a port.

BN is the smoothest of the three, and the bourbon is more balanced compared to the BCBS.

KBS (2013 from the bottle) is excellent, too, but nothing stands out as memorable. (On draft, 2013 KBS I had was a different beer -- thin, all coffee, and weak. Drain pour material.)

2012 KBS, right now, is drinking very nicely. It's mellowed a little, the chocolate has taken precedence over the bourbon, and the coffee has mostly disappeared.

I'd say it's BCBS>BN>2012 KBS>2013 KBS.

But I'd happily take any of these over most any other beer :)

[​IMG]

27. Neorebel

Neorebel Savant (375) New Jersey Jun 29, 2005

I plan on doing this very same tasting soon!

28. Ri0

Ri0 Champion (965) Wisconsin Jul 1, 2012

Now that I have had all 3.
    KBS > BCBS = Black Note

29. TychoNDC

TychoNDC Savant (370) New York Jan 7, 2013

It's true. Pink Ladys have just the right combination of tart and sweet, with an excellent crisp bite to them. Galas and Fujis are alright, but can be sweet and overbearing. They're best left to mellow a bit. Whatever. This year's crop just wasn't as good as last year's...

30. What a great debate! I've had bcbs and bn...have a bottle of 1year old kbs that I'm afraid to drink! So far I would go with bcbs over bn slightly. Another great ba stout out there is event horizon by old hickory. They add some honey which is great and at 8.5% easy to drink.

31. kylelenk

kylelenk Savant (395) Michigan Apr 17, 2012

Black Note is an otherworldly beer. It's hard for me to say that because I feel most of Bell's offerings are average and I absolutely love KBS. I had a few fresh BCBS and had a bottle this weekend with about 7 mos. on it. To me, Bourbon County lacks that niche character that Black Note and KBS have (Black Note with the slight lactose and KBS with the coffee/chocolate). I also find BCBS to be very thin compare to other big stouts.

They are all class beers in the end.

32. stayclean

BCBS.... thin?? :confused:

PsilohsaiBiN likes this.
  33. kylelenk

kylelenk Savant (395) Michigan Apr 17, 2012

Yeah, it's hard for me to explain. The flavor profile isn't thin but the liquid itself doesn't seem quite as viscous as other big stouts. I'm not sure if it's my imagination as Black Note/KBS/CBS/Pt5 are quite sweeter....maybe?

34. kodt

kodt Advocate (535) Illinois Mar 6, 2013

I think the takeaway is that any of the 3 are great beers and really you could be happy with any one of them.

Throw in BBA Pt5 and Arcadia BBA Stout as well. All great beers.

35. kzoobrew

kzoobrew Champion (840) Michigan May 8, 2006

I think you are going to be in the minority here. I would speculate that most will fit BCS both sweeter and more viscous than the others you list.

36. stayclean

I never had CBS so I can't speak for that one, but I find BCBS to be sweet as hell and incredibly viscous. Opinions, what's the deal with them? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I was really surprised at how easy to drink fresh BB Plead the 5th was though, considering it's ABV and all (I know the label says 11%, but isn't it 14%? I gather that they enjoy some "herbal treats", but...). Really glad a generous BA was kind enough to hook me up with a 4-pack, hope I can get another one this winter, that beer sure is something special.

37. abkayak

abkayak Savant (390) New York Jan 8, 2013

I just did 20 miles on a kite buggy and a land board perfect winds...drank my first ever KBS, BCBS tonight.. Don't care what's better ...today life is good, my turn.

JxExM likes this.
  38. dagmer

dagmer Aficionado (115) Illinois Feb 27, 2012

Haven't had Black Note yet, but had KBS 2013 for the second time last night and I know it's blasphemy but i didn't like it:(

39. Kwaz

Kwaz Aficionado (145) Illinois Mar 31, 2012

Black Note finishes with an unpleasant bitterness for me that drops it well out of the class of BCBS and KBS. Like so far out of the class that it would grow old and grey at the back of my fridge if I had an ample supply of all three in there.

However, I haven't had the most recent batch.

40. Personally BCBS was by far the most viscous when compared to KBS - I think the extra 4% ABV is a testament to that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.