1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Black Note vs. KBS vs. Goose Island Bourbon County Stout

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by VeganUndead, Apr 7, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Have a KBS id love to trade for a BCBS so I can have an opinion on this!!!!! and has anyone in here had a Mother Earth Silent Night? I think that is another solid ba stout, just grabbed the last three bombers at my shop so I can have some sporadically over the next couple months...
  2. jimlapaglia

jimlapaglia Zealot (95) New York Jan 1, 2009

Is this a steel cage match? Or do we have to wait for beeramania?
    PsilohsaiBiN likes this.
  3. Yeah I've had it before and thought it was pretty good! Definitely isn't in the same league as KBS or BCBS, but I would put it alongside central waters BBS.
  4. DavoleBomb

DavoleBomb Advocate (600) Ohio Mar 29, 2008

Considering the results were inconclusive, you should probably keep trying till you figure it out!
  5. My wife and I did a similar tasting a little while back with KBS, BA Blackout, and BBPT5. We flip flopped on 2 and 3 between the KBS and the Blackout, but we agreed that the PT5 was significantly better than the other two. As soon as she pops this baby out, we're going to try again with KBS, Black Note, BA Blackout, BBPT5, and BCBS. I can't wait! For either!
  6. Gotti311

Gotti311 Advocate (570) Wisconsin Mar 22, 2009

People always think that is easy to tell which beer is which in a blind tasting, I was the same way until we started doing them regularly. With beers of very similar styles, like this one, you odds of correctly guessing which is which is probably about 30%. And if you are trying to guess, it usually distracts a person from the picking the beer they like best because of perceptions.
  7. Nice to hear that you considered CW BA Stout. It's probably because the brewery is 20 minutes away and the fact I have no problems getting it that it's my go to beer. I do like the other three you mentioned, it's just that I usually get am able to get a case of CW BA Stout.
  8. modern

modern Aficionado (210) Ohio May 31, 2012

What would you compare them to?

For anyone weighing in on KBS vs. whatever and maybe remembering KBS as less than wonderful, I recommend you try this year's KBS. It is really, really good.
  9. theCoder

theCoder Savant (320) Minnesota Oct 24, 2011

I'd be interested to hear the results of this. Personally for me Sucaba, CW BBBW then Whiskey Bigfoot. But I love English STyle Barleywines more than American so Sucaba almost autowins that one for me. The Whiskey was quite strong in the bigfoot, hoping age balances that more. Probably my favorite and still quite easily obtainable BBBW for me is from Lift Bridge, their Commander this year is awesome and in fact I prefer it over CW.
  10. blaaaccck biiisssccuuiit
  11. BCBS > KBS > Black Note
    mcrago likes this.
  12. Darklight

Darklight Savant (255) Pennsylvania Jun 27, 2006

Recently had all 3 as well as BBA Plead the Fifth within the last week. Not a blind taste test but here is how I would rank them.

1. KBS
    2. BCBS
    3. BBA Plead the Fifth
    4. Black Note

But all are World Class beers and are probably in my top 10 favorite beers. I just love what the coffee and chocolate brings to KBS.
    mcrago likes this.
  13. Squiggy

Squiggy Aficionado (215) Michigan Feb 18, 2013

I cracked a bottle of 2012 Blacknote last night.
    One of the best beers Ive had this year.
  14. not gona happen for me... but having a side by side tasting of all three would be awesome.
  15. seplo

seplo Savant (445) Connecticut Sep 8, 2009

As much as I love KBS and BCBS Black Note takes it on this one. I believe I gave KBS and BCBS a 4.75 and Black Note a 5, it wins but not by much....CHEERS
  16. ChicagoNick

ChicagoNick Savant (395) Illinois Nov 16, 2012

Had my first KBS last night.
    Really thin
    STRONG coffee
    Tasted like a stronger version of Dark Horse Perkulator.

BCBS > Black Note > FBS > FIS > KBS

Have had all recently and I would not seek out KBS again.
    JuniperJesus likes this.
  17. With Blacknote being 10.5% and KBS being 11.2% abv, I feel like BCBS is in almost in a different ballpark at 15.1% a better comparison to BCBS is the bourban barrel aged batch 9000 by Bells. Would be interesting to do a blind tasting between that and BCBS.
    JDizzle likes this.
  18. Just curious what temps are these beers being tasted at. I read a review of KBS that if drank at a temp coming right out of the fridge, the coffee was almost overwhelming, but if tasted at around 70 degrees or room temperature that the coffee takes a back seat to the chocolates and vanilla.
  19. ChicagoNick

I start drinking cold from the fridge. Then I sip until it warms up a bit. I will not be drinking my beer at room temp, though.

Honestly, I don't know anyone that checks the actual temperature of their beer. So, for those that claim to drink at 55/65/70 degrees, are you just guessing? Or are you actually sticking a thermometer in you drink?
  20. repivk

repivk Zealot (85) Minnesota Dec 8, 2012

I'd have to go BN>KBS>BCBS. Very close race in all, but the smoothness and great melding of flavors makes Black Note top the others for me. It's easily in my top 3 beers all time. Larry Bell for president!
    PsilohsaiBiN likes this.
  21. Well this guy did
    http://www.theperfectlyhappyman.com/founders-kentucky-breakfast-stout-kbs/
    BEWARE. DON’T DRINK THIS BEER COLD!!!! I started drinking this acclaimed beer at 45 degrees and 2:30 in the afternoon. I finished at 72 degrees and 5 p.m. What a ride. I’ll give the the blow by blow around the temperature.
    45 degrees – Very little aroma, head and taste except for alcohol and bourbon. Smooth, but not what I expected for all the hype. I was disappointed.
    56 degress – Taste and aroma went like this; bourbon led but coffee and alcohol were right behind.
    60 degrees – Coffee and chocolate took over. The bourbon and alochol were moving to the rear.
    65 degrees – Chocolate over took the coffee. Bourbon and alcohol were fading but all flavors were blending together for a wonderful aroma and taste. KBS was becoming even smoother with alcohol as the finish.
    67 degrees – Vanilla started to show itself with chocolate, coffee, bourbon and alcohol in that order.
    70 degress - The best temp to drink this stuff. Rich chocolates, coffee with a hint bourbon and the punch of alcohol that was appropriate.
    72 degrees - This was as warm as I went cause I ran out of beer! But I’m sticking with 70 degrees.
    After this temperature experiment I pulled my other KBS out of the frig and left it sitting on a table in the basement. Can’t wait to have it all at 70 degrees. By the way, it was somewhat odd to have a thermometer in my glass all afternoon but I won’t have to do it again and now you don’t have to at all. Grade: A
  22. ChicagoNick

sonuvabitch... I only had one bottle of KBS. His complaints at the colder temps matched mine. Coffee and Alcohol the entire time I was drinking it. :(

Although, I'd argue that there's a TON of coffee aroma at the cold temps.
  23. Black Note
    BCBS
    KBS
  24. atoulouk

atoulouk Savant (400) Indiana Apr 25, 2011

Right now
    1. BB Pt5

large gap

2. KBS
    3. BCBS
    4. BN
  25. Black Note - Tasty but thin
    KBS - Taste is not good but good mouthfeel
    BCBS - Well above average in both so this one would be the best of three
  26. i did a blind test with bapt5, kbs, n black note would have to look at my notes but i'm pretty sure bapt5 was first black note then kbs. going to do out again with bcbs and all off these and see what happens.
  27. Smithrob9999

Smithrob9999 Savant (425) Texas Aug 3, 2011

Just get a laser thermometer, I have one laying around my kitchen, if I'm curious I just shoot a quick reading.
    ChicagoNick likes this.
  28. DogfishJoe

DogfishJoe Savant (460) Ohio Feb 14, 2010

Kbs
    Black note
    Bcbs

I prefer Kbs because of the coffee flavor and drinkability. Blacknote is an incredibly smooth and drinkable ba stout. Bcbs is a great big beer but hard to drink, alcohol is their!
    szmnnl99 likes this.
  29. lurpy1

lurpy1 Savant (480) Minnesota Jan 15, 2010

KBS>BCBS>BN. But also BA9K>KBS and BA9K>Any other barreled beer. Which is interesting, because in addition, Miller Lite<Regular Batch9K<Goat Urine
  30. A friend, my wife and I did a similar tasting in early March:

'12 KBS
    '12 BCBS
    '12 BCBCS
    '12 BA Fourth Dementia as a wild card

Biggest takeway that we all agreed on was that the KBS just didn't seem to be in the same league as the others. To be expected to some degree for sure based on the differences in alcohol but really not to the extent we saw. KBS seemed watery and weak and an obvious 4th place.

My favorite was a toss up between the normal BCBS and the BA4D. In a pinch I might have to give it to BCBS but it was really close, the BA4D is an almost perfect beer.

BCBCS was great but I felt like the coffee got in the way of what I was looking for. A cool experiment because it confirmed that generally I like "normal" BA imperial stouts over those with coffee.

At nearly a year in the bottle the KBS had very little to no coffee presence; I thought this would work to it's advantage for me but no such luck. If you're into the coffee aspect of KBS I would say drink up, the sooner the better.

I would add that I love KBS and think it's great to drink on it's own... but not head to head like this. It may be that influence of the 15% BCBS monsters just overwhelmed it's 11% subtleties. For this reason I tend to agree with the earlier comments about these beers not really being that comparable.
  31. Drucifer

Drucifer Savant (465) Illinois Apr 16, 2012

I'm seriously considering trying goat urine now
    PsilohsaiBiN and JxExM like this.
  32. All of them combined in one big glass, plus a splash of BB plead the 5th.
  33. riemster

riemster Advocate (535) Ohio Mar 17, 2011

Thirsty dog is releasing BA Siberian night for those interested. BAing SN really helps it because I find the non-BA to be a little too bitter. It's hitting normal distribution but it's a small batch.
    Blowofftube likes this.
  34. From a recent, similar home experiment:

1. BCBS
    2. Black Note
    3. BB Plead
    4. CW BA Imp. Stout
    5. KBS
    erik_c likes this.
  35. smutty33

smutty33 Advocate (650) Connecticut Jun 12, 2009

Black Note is def. in the running for "beer of the year" for me.
    At this time,I cannot simply reveal a winner..........:D

Cheers
  36. sbxx

sbxx Savant (465) Illinois Mar 21, 2011

BCBS is the clear winner for me, but BN and KBS are both good in their own ways.

You can't go wrong with any of them.
    1. BCBS
    2. KBS
    3. Black Note (way last)
    cestlavie likes this.
  37. Acropora

Acropora Savant (310) California Oct 15, 2013

BCBS > BN > KBS (by a long shot, fell very short of my expectations)
    roger617 likes this.
  38. This is kinda silly, not really fair/equal comparisons.

IMO, the debate should be:

BCBS vs. Black Note(Bourbon barrel aged stouts)

BCBCS vs KBS(Bourbon barrel aged coffee stouts)
    Cyclone8, nc41 and IAmJacksHopTongue like this.
  39. nc41

nc41 Advocate (650) North Carolina Sep 25, 2008

BCBCS>KBS not even close IMO
    BCBS > than most. I don't have access to really hard to get BA Stouts, nor have I tried any of the Whales so relentlessly pursued, but I had a 2009 BCBS that was as good as anything I've ever had. The only thing I enjoyed more would be an Eclipse EC 20 yr old.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.