1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Black Note vs. KBS vs. Goose Island Bourbon County Stout

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by VeganUndead, Apr 7, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Donco

Donco Savant (385) Pennsylvania Aug 12, 2013

I have one bottle of BCBS which I am going to 'experience for the first time' soon and I have a couple of bottles of KBS cellaring...but I have never had a Black Note. Does anyone know when this will be released so I can "attempt" to find some? Heard they're impossible to obtain outside of MI.
  2. Mark000

Mark000 Savant (345) Kentucky Jan 10, 2011

Blind tasting a while ago the consensus was:
    BCBS > BBPT5 > Black Note >>>>> Black Ops

KBS is a very good beer, but I'd choose BCBCS over it every time.
  3. 1. Parabola
    2. KBS
    3. Barrel Aged Old rasputin
    4. Very Angry Beast

I'm not a fan of BCBS. All bourbon taste that completely dominates the imperial stout flavors. I like the bourbon aging to compliment the beer, not dominate it.
    Donco likes this.
  4. Donco

Donco Savant (385) Pennsylvania Aug 12, 2013

Very Angry Beast is superb IMO. Have never seen BA Old Raputin..would love to find it.
  5. Shmuffalo

Shmuffalo Savant (260) Pennsylvania Feb 26, 2012

I'd say KBS with a very slight edge on BCBS, and then Black Note. Obviously they're all top quality.
  6. Morey

Morey Advocate (525) Pennsylvania Dec 30, 2007

1. BCBS
    2. KBS
    3. BA Blackout
    4. BB PT5
    5. Black Note

*That's without including the BCBS variants in the list. I like Black Note for sure, but for me it's not quite on the level as some of the other BA Imperial Stouts.
  7. PaulyB83

PaulyB83 Savant (470) Michigan Sep 1, 2013

1. Black Note- I like a thinner BA stout if we're talkin about drinking 12 ounces.
    2. BCBS- Everything about this beer is huge but also balanced. I have found though I like BA stout around 12%
    3. KBS- Was actually a little disappointed with this when I first tried it. Maybe I let the hype get to me a little.
  8. MichiBrew

MichiBrew Aficionado (170) Michigan Nov 26, 2010

Honestly...BB Plead takes em all...if you havent had that beer do everything you can to get a hold of a bottle...love BCBS but its a little on the sweet side for me and the creamy mouthfeel of BB Plead puts it over the top...Black Note close behind...KBS last...
    MarcatGSB likes this.
  9. DogfishJoe

DogfishJoe Savant (460) Ohio Feb 14, 2010

id like to change my answer a bit, now that I've had 2013 bcs it goes

kbs
    bcbs (this years was extremely good, not nearly as much alcohol as last years)
    black note
  10. ramore99

ramore99 Disciple (60) Michigan Dec 10, 2010

These kinds of comparisons are silly, IMHO. So long as the beer is at a certain quality threshold, and all three of these are, then it comes down to palate, weather, environment, food options, etc.. There are folks that would spit all three of these out. Would that make them bad? No.

For this kind of question I was guided by the Brewmaster at Brasserie Roman, when I asked him which of his beers he thought was "the best". His answer, "The one in front of me. I can't drink what I don't have." (I since have learned to ask brewers which beer they are proudest of.)
    BlindSalimander likes this.
  11. MarcWP

MarcWP Savant (425) Arizona Dec 2, 2012

Hey Morey. Pretty much how I would rank them, though I don't think KBS should be compared in that category. Would put KBS up against other barrel aged coffee stouts like BCBCS and BA Speedway. From those I would choose BCBCS and a close tie with KBS and BA Speedway at second. Though I'm waiting on a BA Peche Mortel which I'm really excited about trying! Peche Mortel may be may be my favorite non-barrel aged stout.

Cheers
  12. Did a tasting with 4 people a week ago with the following: '13 KBS, '13 Coffee, '13 Barley Wine, '13 Regular and '12 Regular. KBS got 2 first place votes, BW got one and my vote was for '12 Bourbon County. It was splitting hairs though, all of them are world class.
  13. Morey

Morey Advocate (525) Pennsylvania Dec 30, 2007

Yeah, I agree. I only put KBS in the line up because the OP did. I don't like comparing beers that have extra ingredients in them like that. But, never the less, that would be the order as far as my personal taste goes.

I haven't had Peche Mortel or the BA version. And I've only had regular Speedway.

I like BCBCS a hair better than KBS. KBS is better with age in my opinion (regardless or what Founders recommends) because I think the coffee is a bit overpowering when fresh....especially with the 2013 bottles.
    MarcWP likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.