1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Black Raven/Midnight Sun Collaboration

Discussion in 'US - Northwest' started by t4h2c0, Mar 27, 2013.

1. This beer from two of my favorite breweries sounds like it will be awesome. I have not heard much about it but it is supposed to be an Imperial Bourbon Barrel Coconut Porter called Sun of the Beak...cant wait, i love both these breweries big beers. Yay more crazy strong beer, I cant get enough!!! I am also a big fan of collaboration beers, they always seem to be unique and really good...
    Look for it around seattle beer week:

http://www.seattlebeerweek.com/events/678-Midnight-Sun-Blk-Raven-Collbeeration-Release

WhiteJordan and Smurf2055 like this.
  2. OakedCanuck

OakedCanuck Initiate (0) Washington Jun 23, 2009

I've heard that half of it is infected.

3. blackcloud

blackcloud Savant (420) Alaska Apr 28, 2012

that sounds amazing... here's to hoping that we see some of those bottles up here in the 49th state.....

BeerKangaroo and TheBrewViking like this.
  4. OakedCanuck

Am I reading this right?

1) Tap only at Black Raven at noon
    2) BOTTLES and tap at M&V -----> " At 5 PM, head over to Malt & Vine for another keg tapping and first 22-ounce bottle sales of Sun of a Beak."

5. jpbebeau

jpbebeau Savant (375) Washington Sep 11, 2011

That's how I read it as well. Somewhat annoying.

Sounds like it'll also be on tap later during SBW:

OakedCanuck likes this.
  6. Mages64

Mages64 Savant (380) Washington Sep 7, 2009

It moved

7. Smurf2055

Smurf2055 Savant (495) Washington Nov 12, 2011

Bump! Anyone taste it?

8. How limited are bottles? Will it see distro?

9. Mages64

Mages64 Savant (380) Washington Sep 7, 2009

120 bottles. so...

10. OakedCanuck

Yup. 120 bottles, 1 bottle limit. I had it on tap, will probably submit a review. Very good stuff.

11. podunkparte

podunkparte Initiate (0) Washington Nov 14, 2009

120 bottles? So it must have been released as a MS beer, because I think we all know there are no rare beers in WA, right?

barleywinefiend and beertunes like this.
  12. Smurf2055

Smurf2055 Savant (495) Washington Nov 12, 2011

Yup it had a MS label. It was sold out by the time I got there (6:30), so it certainly wasn't one of them "laid back Washington bottle releases" I've been hearing so much about.

13. leedorham

leedorham Champion (835) Washington Apr 27, 2006

20 gallons of beer and it's a collaboration? So one guy put the recipe together and another guy let them use his garage for the brewday?

beertunes and CaptainQ like this.
  14. bespin15

bespin15 Savant (300) Washington Dec 10, 2006

More bottles are coming and it will hit distribution. Not sure of quantity though.

Lordkrystic, csano, yojimbo1 and 2 others like this.
  15. Eighty

Eighty Savant (365) Washington Feb 17, 2013

How much was this selling for?

16. unclekeith

unclekeith Savant (400) Alaska Sep 4, 2012

On draft at the MS Brewery in Anchorage ($5 for a 6oz pour). I did not see any bottles for sale today. Strong bourbon aroma and taste - couldn't find the coconut. Extremely good. I hope to get a few bottles to age.

17. It was 15.50 a bottle yesterday I believe. I got my draft at Black raven before the bottle sale but forgot how much it cost.

18. Why the hell does it need to age? It's an 8.3% barrel aged porter with coconut. Good call though. Age it so the coconut, barrel and porter all but fade away. Drink the damn beer.

Sarlacc83 and beertunes like this.
  19. unclekeith

Thank you for pointing the only correct way to drink this beer. I cower in front of your knowledge.

20. Don't play the victim. Sack up and drink the beer before it fades away or shows signs of infection <-- after all it was brewed and barreled at midnight sun.

libbey and beertunes like this.
  21. SeaAle

SeaAle Savant (390) Washington Jun 24, 2012

They should have called it an Imperial Bourbon Barrel Coconut Porter Sour just in case. ;)

AirborneBeer and MssrTussaud like this.
  22. unclekeith

I've had it fresh, I'd like to see how it changes. I think a bourbon forward beer could change for the better. I could be wrong, but I won't know until I try. It's a risk I'm willing to take.

23. I asked and they said no bottles today, had a glass before and after my tour and really liked it, I got alot of coconut but no barrel, was told it was only in the barrel for 4 months though

24. MssrTussaud

MssrTussaud Initiate (0) California Apr 17, 2013

I'm curious how this thing tastes. Apparently all the good brewers left Midnight Sun, which explains Batch 3000.

25. Burgundian is going to have it on tap Friday night.

26. jpbebeau

jpbebeau Savant (375) Washington Sep 11, 2011

So it's either strong bourbon or no bourbon or strong coconut or no coconut, from the accounts I've read. Gonna have to try this myself!

27. OakedCanuck

Like my review, for me it was bourbon forward initally but the coconut really came out as it warmed.

Cheers!

Lordkrystic and jpbebeau like this.
  28. ijaap

ijaap Aficionado (190) Washington Jan 5, 2013

I personally got almost no coconut, but the bourbon was definitely present. Had on tap at Malt and Vine.

29. honkduh

honkduh Savant (315) Oregon Jun 2, 2011

@blackravenbrew: Sun of a Beak 69 cases hit Seattle tomorrow!”

30. Was just about to post that. :)

31. ijaap

ijaap Aficionado (190) Washington Jan 5, 2013

Any idea where at?

32. Probably the same places that got Wisdom Seeker a few weeks ago. Last Drop, Full Throttle, Malt and Vine, Bottleworks, etc.

ijaap likes this.
  33. SHIG

SHIG Aficionado (130) Alaska Mar 5, 2007

Bottles hit the streets here in Anchorage Thursday during American Craft Beer Week. There was a six bottle limit at Midnight Sun; however there was no posted limits at two bottle shops I stopped at yesterday. I enjoyed the glass I had at Midnight Sun which was served on nitro. I to got a lot of bourbon but also thought the hints of coconut worked well...Shawn

34. Hoping some of this and AK Alive are still around when I visit Anchorage from Michigan on the 28th of this month.

35. TheBrewViking

TheBrewViking Savant (280) Alaska Dec 13, 2010

Those should still be here when you arrive but if the small chance they are gone hit me up and I will get you what you are looking for.

P.S. all Michigan beers are welcome in AK

SatlyMalty likes this.
  36. the beer was ok, but based on the taste of the tap version I will not be buying any bottles, it tasted somewhat artificial especially the coconut elements

37. This has started to show up around town including Bottleworks. Interesting porter, very distinct, but balanced coconut, some bourbon, enjoyable and fun to drink. Don't get it if you don't like coconut.

38. I'm gonna try to track down a bottle today to take down and share with friends in Bend.

39. NickThePyro

NickThePyro Savant (350) Washington Dec 24, 2012

I love Black Raven, I love Coconut, and I love beer. I really hope the bottle I purchased today I love as well.

40. dirtylou

dirtylou Champion (785) Washington May 12, 2005

Zero coconut - glad I had it on tap, definite Pass on bottles for me