1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Black & Tan: Favorite Combinations?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Dylanwilde, Dec 16, 2012.

1. Do you guys think Flower Power and Founders Imperial Stout would work? Never made a black and tan before so not really sure what a good combo would be.
  2. bluejacket74

bluejacket74 Champion (755) Ohio Jul 4, 2005

Right now I'm drinking a blend of Bell's Hopslam and Great Lakes Blackout Stout. Not really a Black and Tan since they aren't layered, but they go pretty good together. :)
  3. AttitudeBrew

AttitudeBrew Aficionado (120) Texas Aug 20, 2009

I'm going to have to try this
  4. Only one way to find out...
    Bitterbill likes this.
  5. Blueribbon666

Blueribbon666 Advocate (500) Ohio Jul 4, 2008

Yeah, I could see that going badly...feel bad for the Eddy Fitz. Not much of a Christmas Ale fan.
  6. While it didn't layer (for me), my first attempt of Bell's Hopslam and Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout was delicious.
  7. my best so far this year was Terrapin liquid bliss with some jalapeno pale ale a buddy of mine brought back from asheville pretty monsterously damn good
  8. RoninTK3

RoninTK3 Savant (290) New Hampshire Nov 12, 2012

Yeah, I live pretty nearby and I'd definitely agree. Smashed Blueberry is an interesting beer, and though they aren't great beers, I do like Bluefin and Old Thumper. Tried XXXX a couple months ago and thought it was miserable.
  9. BeerKangaroo

BeerKangaroo Initiate (0) Alaska May 30, 2011

Yeah XXXX was not that memorable, but I think I gave it a decent review. Now, bluefin and old thumper might be somethin' to try at least once.
  10. kylelenk

kylelenk Savant (350) Michigan Apr 17, 2012

Coors and Coors Light.

I've had Guinness and Oberon a few times which I enjoy. Also nitro cans of Guinness and Boddingtons as well. I had tried Guinness and pumpkin beers which are good. FBS and Bass once.
  11. e30todamax

e30todamax Savant (335) Virginia Oct 5, 2012

I did guinness and heady topper for saint paddy's in VT, best black and tan combo I've had.
  12. Long trail Double bag and Murphy stout.
  13. GilThorp

GilThorp Disciple (50) Kentucky Mar 19, 2010

It doesn't layer, but as I sit here typing, I'm enjoying a KBS/Hopslam Black & Tan.
  14. beercanman

beercanman Savant (485) Ohio Dec 17, 2012

FBS and FIS. black on black.
    ESeab likes this.
  15. personally i think it would be two very robust beers fighting each other and might make a muddled mess. IMHO
  16. ScottR

ScottR Aficionado (125) Ohio Jul 22, 2012

I second that. Ten Fidy also works pretty well with G'Knight.
    nitter likes this.
  17. MVP09

MVP09 Savant (365) Massachusetts Oct 19, 2012

18. Cenosillicaphobe

Cenosillicaphobe Savant (360) Maine Jul 24, 2011

I did...I failed to get any layering...but the flavor was interesting...not sure if I'd do it again though.
  19. Allagash curieux and speedway stout. I call it the blackout Black and Tan.
    Barrelsnbeer likes this.
  20. jmkoller11

jmkoller11 Aficionado (170) Arizona Jul 27, 2012

Seriously, the X-Slam is delicious! Bells Hopslam and Expedition Stout!
  21. Michigan

Michigan Initiate (0) Michigan Oct 24, 2012

BLACK NOTE AND HOPSLAM!!!
  22. Dcor

Dcor Aficionado (140) Florida Aug 27, 2012

Stella and Guiness at the Shroom is a Marlon Brando...great pour.
  23. Awesome thread. I've been playing with a few myself. I'll post if I find a winning combo.
  24. C2H5

C2H5 Savant (435) Illinois Jan 7, 2012

not good..
    [​IMG]
    jRocco2021 likes this.
  25. Beerswag

Beerswag Savant (300) California Jan 16, 2013

Ten-fidy over some anchor steam..."humble classiness"
    TheBeerShop likes this.
  26. Trader Joe's Mission Street Pale Ale (Firestone Walker contracted) makes the best tan I have had. I prefer Murphy's or Guiness for black.
  27. MoparGrease

MoparGrease Initiate (0) California Jul 26, 2012

I tried Lost Abbey Serpent stout and Mirror Pond
    itsiilegal likes this.
  28. alex_hart

alex_hart Advocate (570) Oklahoma Feb 28, 2013

Tank 7 and Franziskaner...absolutely delicous...like it to call it the Frankinseven..wish i had a picture to post, will have one soon
  29. lsummers

lsummers Advocate (535) California Jun 21, 2010

Does anyone ever get them to stay split? That's only usually seen with the nitro beers right? I've heard of a couple places getting sculpin on nitro, wouldn't mind trying that.
  30. I'm liable to get lynched on here for saying this, but "black magic" (#9 over guinness) is freaking delicious!
  31. anth0ny

anth0ny Aficionado (175) Michigan Jan 5, 2012

Either it's mad ballers here or just bordem with mega beer collections, this thread is pure gluttony with some of the suggestions I'm seeing.
  32. supermodified

supermodified Aficionado (220) Ohio Nov 28, 2012

I recently tried to make a black and tan with FIS and Dortmunder Gold.

It didn't layer at all, but it tasted great.
    ufmj likes this.
  33. anth0ny

anth0ny Aficionado (175) Michigan Jan 5, 2012

A sane, reasonable suggestion, seems like that would work well!
    SadMachine likes this.
  34. jRocco2021

jRocco2021 Savant (395) Wisconsin Mar 13, 2010

lol
    Azzy, darky and spinedocschabel like this.
  35. jRocco2021

jRocco2021 Savant (395) Wisconsin Mar 13, 2010

I just had Elysian Dragonstooth and SN Torpedo. It was awesome the Elysian was from a bottle and the Torpedo was on tap.
  36. If you like it layered you should really use a nitro stout and pour over a bar spoon with about a 3/5 ratio in favor of the ale for best results. It doesn't work with every beer combination though, as it's all based on gravity and you have to experiment to see what works and what doesn't. An old favorite of mine was guiness over Liberty ale which layers and tastes great! I also recall making some outstanding Black and Tans with Youngs double choc, but alas, it's been a while and i can't remember which ales it works with.
  37. Brewdog tactical nuclear penguin + brewdog sink the bismarck. 160$ black and tan. pour into frosted mug, enjoy.
  38. PtY and Westy 12 was my most epic black and tan;-)
    rm20015 likes this.
  39. legend8706

legend8706 Savant (310) Virginia Oct 31, 2012

White Chocolate & Black Tuesday is pretty tasty IMHO...haters gonna hate..
  40. Local bar near me makes one with Old Dominion Oak Barrel and Crispin Cider...it is all kinds of amazing.
    GimmeGumballHead and ufmj like this.