1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Black Tuesday

Discussion in 'Cellaring / Aging Beer' started by amp138, Apr 3, 2013.

1. amp138

amp138 Savant (295) Rhode Island Dec 21, 2011

Recently came into a bottle of BT from a trade. It's the 2012 vintage. The ABV is quite high, wondering if I should lay this sucker down for a year or two before I pop it. Any opinions ?
  2. kojevergas

kojevergas Champion (870) Texas Aug 15, 2010

Chug, chug, chug, chug...!
    THANAT0PSIS, jplopez21 and Deltoro like this.
  3. If you have never had it, try it sooner than later, just make sure to have many people to share with. It is not the kind of beer you wanna drink by yourself, unless you are a hardcore alcoholic and don't care about diabetes. ;) If you have tried it before, go ahead and age it.
    DtheVillain, chewy08rx, evilc and 3 others like this.
  4. Rempo

Rempo Initiate (0) Indiana Jan 18, 2010

The ABV will still be high in a couple of years.
  5. stealth

stealth Advocate (545) Minnesota Dec 16, 2011

I just had one last month and it was delicious. Drink it now and then try to score another bottle for your cellar.
    alysmith4 likes this.
  6. amp138

amp138 Savant (295) Rhode Island Dec 21, 2011

Thanks folks!
  7. riemster

riemster Advocate (535) Ohio Mar 17, 2011

I really wish I could get a Black Tuesday, but Ohio has that 12% law. Their website says they don't distribute in Michigan. Can any one confirm this?
  8. Yup, The Bruery has no disto in Michigan, I have gotten it in IN though, and my bottle of BT I traded for, for a 6 pack of Hopslam with some epic extras mind you!
  9. BT isn't distributed anyways so it doesn't really matter
    sirtomtom, rrryanc, Gosox8787 and 2 others like this.
  10. I would say lay that sucker down for at least two years. I had one fresh and man did those bourbon tones smack me in the face but like a double edge sword I got the most intense caramel favor I ever had in a beer.

And this is coming from a guy who drinks BCBS fresh (having a 9/20/12 right now and it's bourbon-tastic!)
    ufmj and alysmith4 like this.
  11. Ok Judge JUDY. I'm in great shape, watch what I eat, and I'll be damned if someone calls me these names if I choose to find this beer fantastic, and kill a bomber to myself because I LOVE it. To boot, I'll chase it with a Maker's on the rocks because the Bourbon presence just wasn't enough to my liking. ;-P

Some handle their craft better than others... GO LAKERS!
    amp138 and Beerontwowheels like this.
  12. I drank a bottle myself at X-mas and it was fantastic. I didn't chug it, but enjoyed it for hours and hours. That said... it gets even better with a couple of years on it.
    RBassSFHOPit2ME and Cee-Poe like this.
  13. Melange 3. A tenth the hype and twice as tasty.
  14. c'mon over! I'll smoke a couple racks of ribs and we'll drink it together!
    amp138 and Beerontwowheels like this.
  15. What's the guesstimated shelf life of BT?
  16. Cellaring beer is for Wolverine, Highlander and vampires.
  17. Cellaring beer is for non-alcoholics.
  18. Stevedore

Stevedore Champion (855) Wisconsin Nov 16, 2012

Generally I'd say drink it. But IDK when 2012 came out, but if its not much longer till 2013 comes out, you could think about saving it so you can have the fun of comparing it to a year-old version.
    albertq17 likes this.
  19. mixed_master7

mixed_master7 Initiate (0) Florida May 16, 2012

I'd beg to differ...If I was somebody that wasn't familiar with the hobby and I saw someone with hundreds of different beer in their cellar, I might think a bit differently.

But I'm just as guilty sooo....
    chugalug06 likes this.
  20. TomClem

TomClem Savant (260) Nebraska Mar 7, 2012

More important than when you drink it is who you drink it with. Not a great idea to tackle that bottle solo!
    lvoutlawjlh and ufmj like this.
  21. The bottle says "... for many decades ...", but that does not have any empirical evidence. Its wax-sealed, high alcohol, and uses dark malts. It should be good for a while (years), longer if kept cold and temperature stable. Also depends on how well it was bottled; if any oxygen got in during bottling, that will hasten aging, good or bad.
  22. powz87

powz87 Initiate (0) Illinois Jan 18, 2012

Beer Bong that sucka
  23. krl2112

krl2112 Advocate (575) Illinois Nov 10, 2012

Cellar for at least a year. Much better and more mellow IMO.
  24. bifrost17

bifrost17 Initiate (0) Washington Dec 16, 2011

Drink it now man. I got a bottle in a trade as an extra recently and split it with some people a few weeks ago, best decision ever.
    Smurf2055 likes this.
  25. On my to do list is to get like six bottles of the same vintage of BT. Then, I'll drink one fresh and another every 2-4 years and see what happens. I have a feeling this one will last a very long time and potentially keep getting better and better for many years.

My prediction: in 10-15 years, Black Tuesday from about now will be pretty damn .rar and awesome. Not many (presumably) will be left un-consumed, and if does keep improving for that long...

Hopefully our Robot Overlords in 2028 will still allow beer trading, then I can trade my 2011 BT for walez, bro!
    EyePeeAyBryan likes this.
  26. :) I wouldn't call drinking a BT to the head, watching what you eat. Anyways, I was just having fun and letting the OP know that I thought it was more for sharing and that it has a ridiculous amount of empty calories. The only name you could assume I was calling you was "alcoholic", although it was indirect. Nothing you wrote contradicts this. ;) Don't be ashamed, I consider myself an alcoholic, definitely functioning, but nonetheless an alcoholic.
  27. Just stirring the pot a little. I have a beer or possibly 2 most every night. By "medical" standards, I'm a full functioning alchi as well. Cheers!
  28. Late last year, I had the '09, '10, '11, and '12. It truly gets better with age. The complexity is there in each vintage, but booziness mellows after about 1.5 years. This is one of my favorite beers and I'm stocked to "age gracefully for decades"! Lol

As for how Grey Monday will do, I'm worried the hazelnut will fade and then it will taste like an over-hyped bottle of Black Tuesday. Any thoughts on that?
  29. DougOLis

DougOLis Savant (275) California Aug 15, 2008

Drink your Grey Monday. We only received 1 bottle so there's no point in aging it if you don't know what it tastes like fresh (assuming you don't have a buddy with a bottle too).
  30. Well, they did have it on tap a couple of weeks back. I had some at a bottle share when it was first released and then again then. I still don't taste the hazelnut in either tasting, so just forget about it. :Shrug:

Still man, walez, brah.
  31. A beer or two a night wouldn't qualify you as an "alchi" by any "medical" standards I'm aware of, unless you meant the quotes to imply that very fact.

You could, in fact, find a lot of studies extolling the benefits of a drink or two a night, particularly if it's red wine or hoppy beer.
  32. Dependent, by having 2 every night is what I'm talking about. Let's not read too much into it though, shall we?