1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Blackwater Series.

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by whiskey, Jan 4, 2013.

1. whiskey

whiskey Savant (350) California Feb 25, 2012

I noticed on Southern Tier's website that their Blackwater series includes just Creme Brulee and Choklat.

No mention of Jahva, Mokah, or Oat. Has anyone heard if these are retired?

I swear the site included these last time I looked a couple months ago.

http://www.stbcbeer.com/black-water/
  2. Porkhustle

Porkhustle Initiate (0) Dec 6, 2012

They did, not sure what happened, but the series was bloated so I not surprised consumers picked favorites
  3. WTF?

Oat was the best, followed by Mokah imo.

Keep Creme Brulee?
    Really?
    I don't hate the brew, but WTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF?
  4. I was told that the three mentioned (jahva, oat, mokah) are not being produced this year...
  5. BMitch

BMitch Aficionado (235) Virginia Jul 10, 2012

Yeah no joke. Damn.
    PittBeerGirl and fujindemon74 like this.
  6. Seriously, Choklat is tasty imo, but I only want one every few months and Creme Brulee is something I'd drink once or twice a year with someone.

On the other hand, OAT, MOKAH, & JAHVA are things I'd drink monthly if available.

Oh well, there's still Backburner, but other than that I'll look elsewhere for beers.

Sorry Southern Tier, but you've really disappointed this consumer.
    Guess I'll be buying a crap load of B.O.R.I.S, D.O.R.I.S, & Speedway Stout.
    luwak and BMitch like this.
  7. Sad to hear, but thanks for the heads up. I will be sure to pick up some Mokah soon before it's all gone.
  8. My local beer store just got a case of Mokah, not more that a week or two ago....
    Craigory likes this.
  9. Danny1217

Danny1217 Advocate (620) Florida Jul 15, 2011

What the hell? Why would they get rid of any of these beers when they are some of the best stuff they make and seem to sell fairly quickly? I'm glad they still have Choklat (actually bought two bottles today), but come on...
    fujindemon74 likes this.
  10. I've recently seen it on shelves also, just not sure how old it was.
    Also, recently bought 2 bottles of Oat not more than a month ago & received one as a gift for Xmas.
    And furthermore, a distributor near me had a case of Mokah sitting on shelf just yesterday.
    That's why this thread sort of shocked me.
    Didn't bother to check how old any of this stock was since all of these brews have seemed somewhat ubiquitous in my neck of the woods for the last few years. As a result, i honestly never bothered to check release times on any of the BW stouts.
    I'm beginning to think that these bottle/cases are old stock.

Seems like a stupid move to me...
  11. ...from a distributor that's been sitting on it for months?

Nah, they don't do that, right?
  12. Axic10

Axic10 Savant (425) New Jersey Mar 15, 2008

I was told by a rep at a tap takeover that those 3 beers weren't being brewed again. I wanted to call BS, but I guess this confirms it.
  13. I guess it's possible but they implied that it was new. It tends to fly off the shelves around here and I hadn't heard anything about it possibly not being brewed this year so I had no reason to question it.

If I get a chance I will swing by tomorrow to check it out.
  14. I defy someone to drink a full pint of Creme Brulee
    fmccormi likes this.
  15. Seems dumb to keep what many consider to be, at the very least, borderline cloying brews in the BW series.
    Will probably just stop buying Southern Tier beers now.
  16. Casedogg43

Casedogg43 Savant (490) Indiana Jan 4, 2012

Just picked up a mokah & choklat.
    Oat is all over the place as well as java.
  17. I just bought a sixth barrel keg of Mokah for my roommate because it is one of his favorite beers, he is going to be pissed when he hears this news, and will probably tell me to buy all of the Mokah that i come across. I don't get it, it would be like Stone deciding to stop brewing Double Bastard.
    fujindemon74 likes this.
  18. evilcatfish

evilcatfish Advocate (505) Missouri May 11, 2012

Have had several in one sitting and will again. You'll smell like a stripper (vanilla) for days afterward
  19. Why not at least keep Jahva along with Choklat so we could at least try to blend our own Mokah?
    I find it ludicrous that there is such demand for Creme Brulee.
  20. evilcatfish

evilcatfish Advocate (505) Missouri May 11, 2012

Seriously, WTF? I always have considered the Blackwater series the backbone of ST. Don't get me wrong, Choklat and Creme Brulee are good, but the others were great too. I'm considering sending ST a email about this, and grabbing all the Oat, Jahva, and Mokah off the shelves that I can
    fujindemon74 likes this.
  21. Bottled 4/12/12. My store just got another case also. My State finally gets ST and now they cut back and I can't get Jahva. :(
  22. BMitch

BMitch Aficionado (235) Virginia Jul 10, 2012

I feel the same way. Other than an occasional Unearthly, Oat/Mokah/Javah were the only ST beers I really drank with any frequency. Oat on tap at my local beer bar was one of the better beers I've had this year.
    fujindemon74 likes this.
  23. dmeadows

dmeadows Savant (310) New York Aug 6, 2002

Did you also notice on the same page where you could contact Southern Tier directly? Probably better to try and get information directly from them, rather than from the uninformed BA masses.
    jmw likes this.
  24. I drank 2 bombers in one night. Once.

I love the stuff. I have a huge sweet tooth, vanilla is one of my favorite flavors and I absolutely love Creme Brulee. They really nailed it in my case.

But its fucking heavy
    mjshearer1 likes this.
  25. Maybe he did, maybe he didn't.

Maybe he just wanted to start a conversation about beer he really seems to enjoy/love.
    That's why we're here, right?

Maybe at least one BA has chimed in already and said that a ST rep has confirmed that the beers will be phased out this year or altogether retired.

Did you stop to consider privately messaging him?
  26. I just picked up a bottle of Oat about a month ago. I'm pretty sure it was bottled in 2012 also. If this is true, I'm going to pick up a bottle of Mokah, been meaning to try that.
  27. ThickNStout

ThickNStout Savant (495) Georgia Mar 8, 2011

This is awful! I love all of the Blackwater series. It's a crying shame that they are cutting back on it. At least they are still making my personal 2 favorites (I have finished both pints and bombers of Creme Brulee on numerous occasions). I remain optimistic that they will either bring them back and/or bust out a few new wildly authentic flavors eventually.
    HipsterBrewfus likes this.
  28. dmeadows

dmeadows Savant (310) New York Aug 6, 2002

According to Nathan at the brewery they are not retired but on "hiatus."
  29. Sweet jeebus, let's hope this hiatus is short lived :)
  30. imduffman

imduffman Aficionado (170) Ohio Oct 22, 2012

the brewery is focusing on some new 6 and 4 pk formats. about 3 new double styles. the our local distributor is still sitting on blackwater series fro this past year. at least we'll be seeing unearthly 4 pks.
    whiskey and smutty33 like this.
  31. Knapp85

Knapp85 Advocate (690) Pennsylvania Dec 25, 2009

I like what they kept.
  32. LOVE that beer! Gimme two bombers and I'll put 'em down and love every sip! Not what I wanna drink daily, but I can't get enough of it, and can't understand the hate for this awesome stout!
  33. I wouldnt call it hate by any means..
    It is just to cloyingly sweet for me,and I have a sweet tooth too :cool:
  34. Mavajo

Mavajo Advocate (550) Georgia Feb 10, 2007

I routinely finish entire bombers of Creme Brulee. One of my favorite beers.
    Dope, Kerrie, cnbrown313 and 5 others like this.
  35. draheim

draheim Poobah (1,015) Washington Sep 18, 2010

Have to agree w/ those who are dismayed/confused by this. Of all the beers I've had from Southern Tier (including their IPAs), the ones I'm most likely to buy again are Jahva and Mokah. Choklat's good when you need a straight-up chocolate beer fix, and Creme Brulee would be good only if it came in 4oz bottles.

But, assuming they aren't complete idiots ST must know something we don't. Maybe these two are their biggest sellers from the series and they had to cut something...
  36. Had most of them through my work. Very interesting and full of flavor. We recieved a bourbon barrel aged back burner. It was one of the best beers i have ever tried. Has anyone found these on the shelves? I would be interested to know if it was bottled.
  37. Lare453

Lare453 Champion (760) Florida Feb 1, 2012

They were all awful.
  38. Mavajo

Mavajo Advocate (550) Georgia Feb 10, 2007

This is why we need a Dislike button. You clearly hate kittens and puppies also, you bastard.

I get that Creme Brulee isn't some fancy, complex, refined beer. But if you said to me "Hey Mav, what do you want tonight while kicking back and playing some Super Monday Night Combat - Westy 12 or Creme Brulee?"

After acknowledging that Westy 12 is one of the finest damn beers on the planet, I'd choose the Creme Brulee 9 times out of 10.

Actually, that sounds pretty good to me -- I think I'll do exactly that tonight.
  39. Lare453

Lare453 Champion (760) Florida Feb 1, 2012

Aw man, these have been some of the super few beers that I just couldn't drink... I just not a big fan of southern tier all together, had all the black water series and the cuvée series, and had to throw them all out.

I love kittens and puppy's though. They are all wonderful!
  40. Goosey

Goosey Aficionado (240) Missouri Jan 18, 2012

Where is ST going after this? They need a huge revamp; when is the last time you heard a bunch of BA's getting stoked about ST, I mean maybe Pumking, but that shit gets old after 2 or three bottles, and gives me seasonal diabetes. Hopefully this opens the door to some new stuff.