1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Blackwater Series.

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by whiskey, Jan 4, 2013.

1. vacax

vacax Advocate (620) California Jun 3, 2008

I'd venture to say it means that Creme Brulee and Choklat sell more quickly.
  2. Kerrie

Kerrie Savant (440) Michigan Aug 24, 2012

Creme Brulee was the first beer I gave a 5 to on this site, I believe (and still only 1 of 3 if my memory serves). Love that beer. I think I actually just sat alone in the dark drinking it like a creeper. That said, the liquor store I got it from still had bottles about 6 months later and I received the last two as a gift. They weren't as good, so I guess I like it better fresh (some people say it's better aged, bah).
  3. BlackDragon

BlackDragon Initiate (0) Michigan Feb 16, 2013

I'll boycott Southern Tier for life if they kill off the Blackwater series
  4. luwak

luwak Savant (305) Arizona Mar 2, 2010

Unearthly and Oaked unearthly are awesome.
  5. I've had Live (the new pale ale) at the brewery and i'm eagerly awaiting its release to ST's general distro, its quite tasty. Also a rep at the brewery stated a nitro stout is in the works for release this year.
  6. djsmith1174

djsmith1174 Savant (450) Minnesota Aug 21, 2005

Me too. It's a mood brew, but when the mood strikes it's damn tasty. ;)
  7. I'll echo disappointment here, mostly in the decision that Creme Brulee was kept over Oat. I get it, though, since I haven't had a beer quite like Creme Brulee, so it's relatively unique. I loved Oat. I just recently grabbed a Jahva as that was the last one from the Blackwater Series I hadn't tried yet.

I don't think this series was bloated at all. All 4 I've had were unique compared to each other, and I'm sure Jahva will be as well. They are definitely my favorite offerings from Southern Tier that I've had to date.
  8. If Creme Brulee were sold in four once bottles, I'd still want to split it with someone else.

draheim likes this.
  9. Dope

Dope Advocate (545) Massachusetts Oct 5, 2010

Yup, I don't see why people think it's so hard to drink. It's sweet and heavy, sure. Same with tons of beers out there. Not a big deal.

Dope
    Kerrie likes this.
  10. BlackDragon

ya I feel the same way if they are going to focus on making something else all I can say is it better be a good stout and not some other terrible style the one thing I can say is if they needed to kill something off to make something new it should have been unearthly or their ipa
  11. That is some serious sad news as I loved the whole line up. I actually have one bottle of each left in the fridge right now and will never want to open them now. Javah and Mokah are both so amazing and with a 1/4 of a bottle Creme BruLee poured into them they become liquid heaven to my taste buds. I have a tough time drinking the Creme Brulee straight but put a little into any stout or porter I am drinking and it definitely adds to the experience for me.
  12. mark14580

mark14580 Initiate (0) New York Jan 15, 2011

Sometimes BA's have a huge misconception about beer. Although ST doesn't have barrel aged, limited released, crazy to obtain beer that illicits 40 threads on BA, they are immensely popular. They were up 40% last year and over 120% the year prior. They added a ton of brewing capacity this year for a 110 bbl brewhouse. That doesn't sound to me like they need a huge revamp.
    Goosey likes this.
  13. BlackDragon

The fact that they were easy to get was a huge part of why I liked Southern Tier they don't need a revamp and if they have more capacity why do they feel the need to stop making what we love use their extra capacity to make something new if anyone who works at ST is a BA I'd love to hear from you as to whats going on.
  14. drocpsu

drocpsu Savant (250) New Hampshire Dec 25, 2006

If that's true, bummer to see the series trimmed down so much. Though, I love choklat, so I'm glad to see it still on the list.
  15. Whimpers

Whimpers Savant (470) New York Dec 17, 2010

Oat was always my personal favorite. Gotta look around for a bomber to say farewell.
  16. pumking ruined everything for me as far as ST goes. i wont even dare try anything else from them just bc of pumkings disgusting drain pour. :eek: