1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

blind lambic tastings in perth

Discussion in 'Australia & New Zealand' started by perthbelgianbeer, Jul 31, 2012.

1. perth BAs or anyone that visits perth from time to time…

wondering if:
    - any of you would ever be interested in a blind lambic tasting (just generally for future tastings)
    - any of you would be interested specifically in a blind lambic tasting on sat arvo/evening aug 25th

flick me a beermail or email at [email protected] if interested in either of those?

aug 25th tasting info:
    - ~13 ppl ranging from lambicheads to those with nought but a passing interest in sours
    - looking like might be a couple ppl short hence this post
    - $45-50 incl homemade dinner&dessert and about 1L total beer pp, 14 different beers, ~5 std drinks each
    - 8 oude guezes not avail in aus (hanssens, girardin, 3Fonteinen etc) in a blind tasting
    - The other 6 beers consumed a bit more casually: young vs 5yo orval, cuvee de ranke vs kriek de ranke, vicardin tripel-gueze and hanssens strawberry lambic
    - zero profit of course – that’d be illegal. Costs just cover beer and food purchases
    - just at my house, not at a beery venue or anything. eric5bellies, carlislewinebin and lukie attended last year if anyone worried about me being an axe murderer

if anyone is interested it’d be a first in first served basis I guess

Oh and lukie will be signing autographs so bring some empty lambic bottles : )
  2. Lukie

Lukie Savant (415) Australia Jun 16, 2007

$100 an autograph or a bottle of blabaer.
  3. mulder1010

mulder1010 Initiate (0) Australia Aug 29, 2008

or a flight to Sydney:D
  4. dansmcd

dansmcd Savant (425) Australia Dec 19, 2010

beermail sent
  5. Cheers dan!

I forgot to mention that whoever picks the most correct guezes in the blind tasting wins an authentic unsigned nonlimited 2012 longneck of coopers best extra stout, one of only quite-a-few made.
  6. Mordeciafunk is in too. Great stuff

25th tasting is full at this stage
    Keen to hear if anyone else interested for future tastings though

Plus there might be a spare spot on the following day aug 26 (lambic tasting on both days, different beers though)
  7. Lukie

I vow to get zero correct on the night!
  8. sinkas

sinkas Aficionado (180) Australia Jul 9, 2008

I am reporting you to EPA for biohazard on the night, expect a HeliPol overhead
  9. Case - was it not jesus who said: "sours are the way, the truth and the life"?

Or maybe it was lukie
  10. MordeciaFunk

MordeciaFunk Savant (260) Australia Feb 14, 2012

I can confirm that Andrew is indeed, NOT an axe murderer. I however, make no such claims.

Andrew, I got you a beer while I was away. You have to make a choice though... who would you rather invite to dinner. An underage seductress or Plato, Socrates & Nietzsche?
  11. Well i've already had 3 philosophers a couple times, i do like it though
    No idea what the other one is. If someone offers me a beer gift i'm not choosy, maybe a byo catchup at jus burgers half hour before start of one of your weekend shifts?

And brenden i need your email address for lambic spamming
  12. MordeciaFunk

I have next (12th) Sunday off if you want to catch up. Hopefully Rasputin will be on tap by then and you can watch me drink 14 pints. We can drag Lukie out too. Maybe Mr Foles, Mr Dansmcd, Mr Sinkas, Mr Hopswiller et al could join us as well. I dont have anything lambic-y for you, but we're rotating through some wacky Italian stuff at the moment, so I'm sure we can find something for you to drink.

The mystery beer is: http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/1549/53747
  13. Suffice to say im very interested in sharing this beer / forcibly removing it from your domicile

Sunday 12th sounds good. Lunchtime at sail / jus? Doubt ill have anything interesting to bring myself cos saving it all for lambic tastings
  14. MordeciaFunk

You don't have to bring anything, just your bright and cheery self.

I'm easy on venue, wherever you wish to go is good for me. I will prob. have to do some work in the morning that day (stock-take prep, yay) so anywhere close to Sail is good for me. I don't want to eat at the Sail though.
  15. Lukie

Just wanted to post this somewhere, and this seemed somewhat suitable :p

[​IMG]
  16. dgilks

dgilks Advocate (665) Australia Jul 14, 2008

Meh! Got them all plus a personally autographed presentation box for the Armand'4. Looking forward to the Rodenbach.
  17. Lukie

Yeah, I have the box too. Opted out on two more boxes since they are somewhat pointless.
  18. danieelol

danieelol Advocate (510) Australia Jun 15, 2010

nice, what's the Rodenbach beer?
  19. Lukie

20. Lukie - the response you may have been looking for is here - holy mcfooking crikey! 8 bottles of the same or 4 different seasons amongst that lot?

Thats what i call a good investment
  21. Lukie

2 bottles of each of the seasons. I had to ask nicely to get the infamous Autumn one, as it has been removed from the online shop.

Already tasted all four, and they are incredible.
  22. mulder1010

mulder1010 Initiate (0) Australia Aug 29, 2008

just to torture you:D[​IMG]
  23. Lukie

A blank photo?

I think I know what it is, and if it what I think it is, I am glad I can't see it :(
  24. MordeciaFunk

No doubt Andrew, this is the type of beer we will be getting for our $50 buy in at your tasting?
  25. Ha ha not quite. Drie fonteinen oude gueze for sure. But these are fancy pants guezes and you'd all be having a blind tasting of 1 beer if i'd bought those. Best to offrr lukie a bar card or naming of first born i'd say
  26. Lukie

Pfff. Blabaer or nothing.
  27. MordeciaFunk

How about if I name my first born Blabaer Lukie the 1st?

EDIT: and a bar card.....
  28. foles

foles Savant (375) Australia Jan 28, 2007

Just saw this - obviously too late. But invite me to the next thing and I'll come along if I can!
  29. MordeciaFunk

Done and done.

It was just myself and Andrew this time. I'm starting to think it's me, the reason he's the only one that turns up. Thankfully he was kind enough to put up with my stupid, hungover self and the randoms that sat at our table. He was even nice enough to bring a bottle of stout, which killed my Monday hangover. Kudos to Andrew.

Also, kudos to Mr Dansmcd and his lovely wife for taken my useless a_se to Feral. I didn't know how I would get there otherwise. I also had a good time chatting with them and they even seemed to put up with my bad jokes and inane babble. Thanks guys.

P.S It also turns out that Mr Dansmcd's wife is a bigger beer geek then him. Amazing. On that note, we should try and get more girls onto this forum. Apparently they have opinions too...
    dansmcd likes this.
  30. Lukie

One of the lovely beer ladies here in Perth is trying to put together a ladies beer club. I will talk to her about it more if any ladies see this post and would like more details.
  31. foles - u keen on invite to next lambic tasting or next sail venture? or both?
    am always looking for more lambic minded ppl for tastings
  32. foles

Yep for both.
  33. foles - someone has just pulled out for the 2nd tasting (sun aug 26th, early arvo). its a bit different than the 1st tasting the day before... the 2nd tasting is a smaller crew, only $40 incl food, and fewer beers (8 lambics plus 3 russian river sours) but still about 1L pp.

flick me an email at [email protected] if you're interested?
  34. Lukie

Why did it have to be on the 26th D:
  35. Eh luke? The 25th has eleven beers not avail in perth, the 26th has only three... Im looking forward to the sat tasting beers more!

Havent you had enough russian river for one lifetime? :)
  36. Lukie

Never enough. And more coming too!

Since this is the random sour thread. 2 Metre Tall is releasing sour beer in 2 months. A 3 year sour beer. I asked a whole stack of questions about it, but didn't get many answers. Seems a little secretive, but who cares. SOUR BEER!
  37. dansmcd

dansmcd Savant (425) Australia Dec 19, 2010

It was our pleasure Brendan. Excellent night it was too. Food was almost as good as the beer.
  38. Luke - that being your birthday weekend and all, would you like to come to both tastings if i cant find a replacement for the 26th? You could call it "25 sours in 24 hours" or something... Surely that'd be a record even for you?
  39. foles

Email sent. If you can keep some 3 Fonteinen for Sunday that would be unreal. I have some fond memories of that from Belgium.

I was thinking I would seek you guys out at the Feral dinner, but there was so many people, expected a smaller function! We had a blast. The aged Razorback was out of this world. We managed to get another glass of it at the bar afterwards.
  40. Foles - i wasnt at ferals last sat, was at old brewery beef n beer. Ferals nite sounds amazing though, article in craftypint says 130ppl, thats mad!

Sorry there wont be any 3F left come sunday... Lukie will make sure of that :)

Lukie - foles is in so ive got 7ppl for the sunday. Still waiting to hear back from potential eighth person. If that person cant come then you are welcome to come to sunday tasting as well as saturday tasting - beer volumes suit either 7 or 8 ppl, no more, no less