1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Blind Pig in Seattle?

Discussion in 'US - Northwest' started by csano, Mar 1, 2012.

1. csano

csano Initiate (0) Washington Sep 21, 2010

Has anyone ever seen bottles of Russian River's Blind Pig IPA anywhere in Seattle? Portland?

2. no blind pig in seattle, i have not seen bottles in portland but you can find it on tap sometimes at better beer bars but it is pretty rare.

3. honkduh

honkduh Savant (315) Oregon Jun 2, 2011

I've seen it on the Eastside in bottles. Bottlezup in Kirkland had it briefly.

4. John_M

John_M Moderator (1,100) Oregon Oct 25, 2003 Staff Member

Bottles of BP are no longer distributed outside of California. That doesn't mean you might not see any on occasion, but they will not have gone through the normal distribution chain. So the likelihood of finding bottles of BP in Seattle or Portland these days is pretty slim (though not impossible). If you do find any in the Seattle area, I would check the brew date on the label pretty closely (liike pliny, the hop profile deteriorates pretty quickly in BP, so freshness is likely to be an issue in any bottles you come across).

As t4h2c0 mentioned, you can find it on tap in Portland from time to time. Personally, I've seen it at Apex (used to see it there fairly often, but not recently), the Horsebrass and County Cork, but that's about it.

5. I was not aware of the RR decision to not distribute Blind Pig outside of CA, but I was aware that RR decided not to distribute Blind Pig in WA some time ago. My understanding, which could be suspect, is that they did not want to compete with Whistling Pig Hefe from Leavenworth Biers (aka Fish Brewing).

6. John_M

John_M Moderator (1,100) Oregon Oct 25, 2003 Staff Member

There was a post about it in the Pacific forum some time back. I think it's been several years now since they discontinued distributing BP outside of California. When they first started bottling elder and BP, I was able to find BP at my local MofC in West Linn. However, I never saw it again after the first distribution, so I made an inquiry. By all accounts RR was unable to keep up with the demand for bottled elder, so they cut back on BP. At least that's what I was told.

7. maltmaster420

maltmaster420 Savant (450) Oregon Aug 17, 2005

We haven't seen bottled BP since July of 2009, but we get a keg every 4-6 weeks.

8. I've never seen it bottled, but I did get a chance to have some on tap at Apex in Portland over President's Day weekend.

9. BillHilly

BillHilly Savant (390) Washington Oct 17, 2010

the new bottle shop up in Renton by the votech had some bottles for it's grand opening...but that was a few months ago and I have not been back there to since to see how things are going.

10. honkduh

That's Bottlez up the same one I posted above that had it in bottles, they have two locations Kirkland and Renton.

11. Those are the shops that required you to purchase a Supplication or Damnation to get the "discount" price on Pliny or Blind Pig. (That "discount" price was $7.99 per bottle, if I remember correctly.)

12. honkduh

Thats lame

13. Not sure if it's still their policy on Pliny. Don't know if they've had any BP bottles since I saw it on my first and only visit to the Kirkland location months and months ago. I left without buying anything, because that pricing setup felt wrong to me. And several BA posters questioned whether it was even legal.

14. BillHilly

BillHilly Savant (390) Washington Oct 17, 2010

The shop in Renton was a mess, very limited selection and everything was in boxes on open floor shelving with little care to block sunlight etc...seems to be a store that has room for improvement for sure.

15. csano

csano Initiate (0) Washington Sep 21, 2010

I checked out that location this past weekend and wasn't impressed. There were a bunch of empty refrigerators and not a very healthy selection of beers.