1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Blind Taste Tests?

Discussion in 'Australia & New Zealand' started by jahsausage, Nov 9, 2012.

1. Anybody ever organised or participated in a blind taste test? Always wanted to but never organised or been invited to one. Fascinated to see whether I could pick out the macro in a line up of lagers or the homebrew gone bad in a line up of Belgian experiments...

Anyway any stories or ideas for good brews to include in a real [or fantasy] blind tasting?
  2. Lukie

Lukie Savant (415) Australia Jun 16, 2007

I have done 3 (2 of which were lambic), and did abysmally at all of them.
  3. dgilks

dgilks Advocate (655) Australia Jul 14, 2008

The problem with blind taste tests is that you need to be extremely familiar with all the beers or have such differentiation that it is no longer blind for them to be even half achievable. Unfortunately, I'm not sufficiently acquainted with every beer I've ever had to be able to do well in a blind tasting.
  4. Lukie

Lukie Savant (415) Australia Jun 16, 2007

The lambic ones were facinating in that you could distinctly pick out the differences between each gueuze, kriek, etc. The little nuances, and work out what style of gueuze everyone preferred (for instance, the cleaner 3F style is my preference, whilst other people hated Tilquin because they are jerks).
  5. foles

foles Savant (375) Australia Jan 28, 2007

To scientific !
  6. danieelol

danieelol Advocate (510) Australia Jun 15, 2010

Actually I was pretty impressed by how well you did at picking out some of the beers at that blind Sydney tasting at the start of the year

I remember something like "hmm...aniseed...must be Bridge Road Biere De Garde"...and you were right!

Picking out an adjunct lager or an off-beer would be piss easy

Much harder to pick between beers of the same style.

I prefer the approach we used of just bringing random beers which you may or may not have had before and trying to guess what they are. Very fun.
  7. danieelol

danieelol Advocate (510) Australia Jun 15, 2010

oh yer and the beer which I said could never possibly be St Lamnivus turned out to be...St Lamnivus
  8. I reckon its good to use blind tastings as a 'myth buster' type program. Lining up the macro lagers and ask folks to pick the brands and which one they like the best. Humbled someone doing this once with XXXX; as someone so vocal against the beer at the beginning of the session he was all quiet when he picked it as beer of the day ...
  9. cheers for replies everybody. definitely sounds like fun. although beer tastings are pretty fun in any case!