1. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $14.99 (US/print only). Offer ends April 30. Subscribe now! (Because great beer deserves great stories AND readers.)

Block 15 receives Fifteen 20yr PVW bourbon barrels

Discussion in 'US - Northwest' started by PrinceCaspian72, Sep 25, 2012.

1. This just in....Fifteen freshly emptied 20 year Pappy Van Winkle bourbon barrels!
    [​IMG]

2. Shmeal

Shmeal Advocate (530) Oregon Nov 9, 2009

If I remember correctly, 2012 Super Nebula is currently aging in PVW 20 year barrels

3. You do remember correctly my friend.

4. my words of caution are probably required here...

i'm consistently impressed by how people who:

- aren't bourbon drinkers or aficionados
    - have probably never had pvw of any kind
    - couldn't pick out pvw 12 from w.l. weller in a double blind taste test

suddenly become expert connoisseurs once a few droplets of the magic juice is leached into some oft-shitty stout tossed in the used barrels of said juice.

OMG THIS BREWERY I HAVE PREVIOUSLY NEVER CARED ABOUT ACQUIRED PVW BARRELS. BUY, MORTIMER, BUY

5. thats some funny stuff right there.

barleywinefiend likes this.
  6. Excuse me but I did a side by side of '07 BCBS and some other years. I could definitely pick out the pappy nectar that had blessed that specific batch. I am now a pappy aged beer addict.

yamar68, crushedvol, pschul4 and 11 others like this.
  7. So what you're saying is PVW barrels are the equivalent of citra hops as well as Vermont well water?

8. Never had PVW bourbon. Do love what Block 15 is doing. Don't care what you think. Simply sharing info because I thought some folks in the NW might enjoy this news. I personally prefer a good sour or IPA over a bourbon barrel aged anything. It's people like you who make others feel like not posting at all. A good day to you sir.

9. then why didn't you just say "bourbon" barrels? it's the hype over "OMG pappy" that invokes eyerolls. it's like saying your floor mats came out of a ferrari.

DinoStyle likes this.
  10. ChanChan

ChanChan Advocate (575) California Dec 12, 2009

I concur! The only BCBS I have ever tasted was the 07 edition and I could definitely taste the Pappy!! :rolleyes:

11. SpdKilz

SpdKilz Advocate (730) Illinois Jan 8, 2009

They did and they added 20hp each so f off.

12. Jdiddy

Jdiddy Savant (375) Rhode Island Apr 5, 2002

This is actually an interesting debate. As an avid whisky fan, I have had my share of all PVW and many others for that matter. Now, can I say you can specifically taste PVW in the brews it was used in? Not sure sure but it may make for an excetional beer due to quality standards. For example, BC RARE is just amazing. Won't say it tasted a ton of PVW, it just tasted of amazing barrel goodness. Now on the other hand, some beers in Utopias barrels definitely pick up the flavor of the liquid previously held. For the record, the PVW 15 is hands down better than 20 and 23 IMO for both price and taste. Just a more well rounded dram. However, I would not turn down a glass of the 20 or 23..haha

13. mudbug

mudbug Advocate (535) Oregon Mar 27, 2009

I'm a huge Block15 fan. Bring it on!

14. hopsbreath

hopsbreath Savant (475) Oregon Aug 28, 2009

If you read the comments on their FB post five days ago, you'll see it's all for Pappy's Dark. Good beer last year but not very good at all two years ago. Personally I'll hold my "OMG's" until I can try the final product.

andrewinski1 likes this.
  15. dstock1122

dstock1122 Aficionado (100) Oregon Oct 12, 2007

I think people who spew negativity are what is wrong with the"beer geek culture", "OMG somebody doesn't know as much about Bourbon as me, so they must be an idiot" Hopefully it makes you - Levitation, feel good to put others down, I bet you are a real cool guy(hopefully the sarcasm makes it through the text)! The 'beer geek' segment has enough snobiness, idiots like this just continue to perpetuate it! Grow up buddy

tronto, Levitation and dimitrov like this.
  16. pattermj

pattermj Aficionado (245) Virginia May 31, 2008

As a beer and scotch fan I find this thread amusing. I myself love bourbon barrel beers (and scotch barrel beers hmm J.W. Lees and early versions of Paradox) but I have also asked myself how much of an affect the distillery and type of bourbon has on the flavor development of the beer. I think it must have some as there is a pretty big differential between the 50/50s IMO but that may be distinct to distillery and or type of bourbon. I would love to do a similar bourbon to medium difference bourbon barrel beer tasting but then that is the scientist in me and I doubt any brewer has the time/money to do it. I do believe there is a lot of hype over specific barrel types, but to automatically assume the hype is overrated or misunderstood is jumping to conclusions (minus my use of the word hype). I say bring on more of them, pick what you like to drink based on cost, and leave the rest to people who you believe don't know what they are drinking.

PrinceCaspian72 likes this.
  17. Full Sail did (might continue to do) a side by side tasting at the Pilsner Room of all the bourbon barrels that were blended into their Imperial Porter. You could definitely pick up the different characters, and it was pretty interesting to see how they ended up in the final blend.

boMD likes this.
  18. boMD

boMD Savant (325) Oregon Feb 8, 2009

I am beer geek who drinks bourbon regularly. I have had a couple variations of PVW.

Am I allowed to be excited for this? [sarcasm] [shrugs]

19. i think what's wrong with beer geek culture is the way people fixate on bourbon barrels over beer.

case in point: this thread, where it took until post #14 before anyone commented on what beer might go inside. qed

20. You're what's annoying about this site.

case in point: you posted some stupid assumptions about the original poster on post #4, before there was any discussion of "fixation over barrels".

LoPo87, jegross2, jgrgas and 6 others like this.
  21. boMD

Holy crap! The problem with beer culture is that there are beer sites that allow people to talk about their excitement for barrels that play a role in the production of a beer from a brewery they like. Can you spell conundrum?

cosmicevan likes this.
  22. boMD

I find it ironic that your profile links to this.
    [​IMG]

pschul4 likes this.
  23. cosmicevan

cosmicevan Champion (835) New York Dec 13, 2009

my words of caution are probably required here...

don't feed the troll.

PrinceCaspian72, black13 and tronto like this.
  24. the first post is a fixation on barrels. did you miss it?

was i incorrect in saying there is a lot of hype over pappy barrels on this site?

DinoStyle likes this.
  25. ehammond1

ehammond1 Initiate (0) Jul 4, 2008

26. ^ Great form, good ROM. Son I am proud.

libbey, MarkIntihar and ehammond1 like this.
  27. leedorham

leedorham Champion (835) Washington Apr 27, 2006

Non-bourbon drinker here, actually don't really drink anything distilled more than once or twice a year - what's so special about Pappy Van Winkle?

28. kscaldef

kscaldef Champion (760) Oregon Jun 11, 2010

It's rare.

29. boMD

Pappy's is typically aged longer than most other bourbons. A wet 20yr Pappy's Bbl is going to contribute a much more potent flavor to a beer that ages in it. That's why there is significant difference in flavor between BCBS and BCBS Rare.

30. leedorham

When you say "potent flavor" does that mean less alcohol/more other stuff, more heat, more of everything, or something else?

31. rare was aged 3 times longer than typical bcbs, too. it's disingenuous to say the flavor difference is just from pappy van winkle barrels. look what great things they did for olde rabbit's foot.

DinoStyle, HopHead84 and Etan like this.
  32. boMD

It probably depends on the beer going into the barrel. But I would say it lends to a more intense flavor on many of the fronts you just mentioned.

33. boMD

I didn't say "just." Thanks for putting words in my mouth. You're showing your true colors Richard.

You should try to actually contribute to the conversation of Beer around here. Instead of being a trolling annoyance.

34. you said, "That's why there is significant difference in flavor between BCBS and BCBS Rare."

"is" is a singular linking verb. your statement says that the barrels are the reason (singular) for the significant flavor difference between the two. had you said, "that is among the reasons why there is significant flavor difference," we'd be in agreement.

sorry for challenging many unthinking assumptions.

ehammond1 likes this.
  35. leedorham

So what's more desirable, a meh bourbon aged for 20 years or a world-class bourbon aged for 5 years? Is PVW right after distillation/cutting a better bourbon than most or is it just the age?

36. boMD

I'm sorry my quick typing on a forum didn't create the proper grammar to counter your argument. I didn't realize I was writing a term paper here.

37. kscaldef

kscaldef Champion (760) Oregon Jun 11, 2010

That seems questionable to me. Typically whisk(e)y becomes smoother and mellower with more time in the barrel, so it's not clear to me why it should give the beer a "more potent flavor".

38. boMD

I believe the Van Winkle family of bourbons tend to be highly sort after bottles. And their price point seems to suggest a high quality.

39. boMD

Wouldn't you think barrels would be much more intense holding bourbon for 20 years opposed to 12 years?

40. it's gibberish. the fusels and other volatile components evaporate off and react with the wood, creating smoothness with time. pvw 20 and 23 are regarded for being ultra-smooth; the wheated formula makes them more so.

DinoStyle and ehammond1 like this.