1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Blood Orange Belgian

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by Whsrickqb12, Jan 30, 2013.

1. I was thinking about brewing a nice beer to sip on around the beginning of spring, was leaning a little toward brewing a blood orange belgain was wondering if anyone has made one of these, and might have some suggestions as well as some ideas to try. Im open to anything!
  2. scurvy311

scurvy311 Savant (355) Louisiana Dec 3, 2005

You could do a straight Belgian wit with blood orange peel (not sure if you could tell the difference with a navel orange though). You could also do almost any Belgian beer and add a squeeze of fresh blood orange juice to the glass. You could fudge and add a little CARARED to give it a red tint, use blood orange zest and call it a blood orange wit (or other Belgian style name).

I have no experience brewing(fermenting) with fresh orange juice. I'm sure you will get some good ideas in this thread though.
  3. That's a good idea I read somewhere that you can actually put cut oranges, or other fruit for that matter in the fermenter... Any thoughts on that?
  4. scurvy311

scurvy311 Savant (355) Louisiana Dec 3, 2005

It wouldn't hurt to listen to The Brewing Network - The Jamil Show - Fruit Beers. It's free on iTunes and has a lot of good experimental and experiential data. I don't think he covers citrus fruit, but he covers many other fruits that you could extrapolate to citrus.

I have never done citrus in beer before.
  5. Awesome I'm actually doing that now so thanks for the ideas!