1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Blue Max Stache Day

Discussion in 'US - Midwest' started by AnalogErik, Feb 25, 2014.

1. AnalogErik

AnalogErik Savant (445) Minnesota Jul 23, 2013

Anyone else go?

I walked away with:

Avery Mephistopheles - 2009
    Avery Beast - 2005
    Avery Samael - 2007
    Bells - This One goes to 11
    Bells Batch - 9000
    O'Hanlon's Thomas Hardy's Ale - 2005
    Surly Pentagram (raffle - I really wanted a Surly Five, but the three bottles they had went quick)

BarrelAgedBarry, MNMike and McRyan like this.
  2. MNMike

MNMike Aficionado (235) Minnesota Dec 3, 2013

You already know this - but adding to the thread...
    Grab:
    Avery Mephistopheles - 2009
    Bells Batch 9000
    O'Hanlon's Thomas Hardy's Ale - 2005
    2009-11 Sierra Nevada Celebration
    2009-10 Sierra Nevada Bigfoot
    (missing on Batch 7000)
    Raffle:
    Surly Syx (seeking Five)
    Boon Oude Geuze Mariage Parfait (seeking Cantillon Lou Pepe Kriek)
    (also whiffing on Black Butte XXIII & Darkness 2011)
    Free:
    Oskar Blues Mama's Little Yella Pils metal sign
    BrewDog Paradox Islay (Batch 009)

Last edited: Feb 25, 2014
    McRyan and AnalogErik like this.
  3. shadetree67

shadetree67 Savant (305) Minnesota Sep 11, 2013

I haven't heard of this event before; what is it?

4. AnalogErik

Its when Jim pulls a bunch of his cellared stuff out into the store. This year, they did a "easter egg hunt" where they put up special labels in random cooler spots all over the store, and had their aged stuff. It was a one bottle limit free for all for an hour. When you first get in, you got 22 tickets. 1 ticket went into a swag bag, 1 was for you to hold to remember your number. The other 20 you could distribute however you wanted into 9 different buckets. One, for instance, had 3 bottles of the Boon listed above, and 3 bottles of Cantillon LP Kriek. Your number gets called, you get first dibs.

Note: You pay for everything - it isnt a giveaway, except for the swag (signs, shirts, glassware). They also give away $0.01 beers - this time, i got two BrewDog Paradox Islay batch 009's. I walked out down around 90$

5. AnalogErik

Oh - and the "Stache" is a play on words. You get the $0.01 beers if you have a mustache.

6. Steasy66

Steasy66 Savant (345) Minnesota Feb 23, 2012

That is some bad luck right there. Were you forced to buy that crap if you missed in the raffle?

7. JMN44

JMN44 Aficionado (145) Minnesota Sep 19, 2013

I only got a single bottle of Bells 9000 and GL Blackout on the grab. In the raffle I got Black Ops and GI BCBS. I'm not sure if I would go again. If I did go back I would probably just show up right before the raffle since it didn't seem like there were many great, rare beers available at the grab unless you were toward the front of the line. What time did the raffle finally end?

8. AnalogErik

Just before 11 i believe

You can "pass" if all that is left is stuff you dont want. I passed on 2013 darkness and Seviin. I can still find seviin on the shelf, and have enough darkness.

Mike bought them though, since neither of us have had the Boon, and I missed Syx, so even though it sucks, i want to try it.