1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Blue Mountain Barrel House "Sour Devil"

Discussion in 'Beer Releases' started by brother_kenneth, Nov 20, 2012.

1. brother_kenneth

brother_kenneth Member

Barrel House (Blue Mountain) is making some of the best brews in Virginia currently, in my humble opinion. I am beyond excited for this new release "Sour Devil", which according to their FB page is going to be available soon -- awaiting formula and label approval currently. As far as I know, this will be one of the first sours brewed in VA. Really looking forward to this one!

[​IMG]
  2. Sonofalime

Sonofalime Member

They make some okay brews but I do gotta say I'm excited about a local sour. I hope they hit this one out of the park. Not been a fan of them so far. Could be just me but I was not a fan of Dark Hollow, Half Nelson, Isabel, and Local Species was blah. I wanna like locals but to compete with majority of the other breweries local and national, they need to step it up. So with that said, let's go local, I'm rooting for you.
  3. brother_kenneth

brother_kenneth Member

Yes, I agree about wanting to "go local." Most everything in the area is anywhere from subpar to absolutely miserable. However, I do have high hopes for these guys. I am not big on much of their stuff so far, but did enjoy Dark Hollow. Regardless, they are doing more with beer than any other brewery around that I'm aware of and for that alone they get some support from me. Hopefully this sour will take them to the next level. We will have to wait and see, I suppose!
  4. kennyo

kennyo Member

when i first tried Half Nelson, in bottles, i thought it was a great beer but later on, in cans, i tried it and it wasnt that good
  5. brother_kenneth

brother_kenneth Member

Haven't had the cans, but I remember trying a bottle a long time ago and thinking it was fine. Nothing super impressive for me though. I am more interested in the Barrel House stuff honestly.
  6. 7ate9

7ate9 Member

I keep getting excited to see this VA brewery doing unique (to most VA breweries at least) things but so far none of the barrel house beers have been memorable. I sure hope this one stands out.
    I'd be looking forward to it more if it weren't a sour "stout". Sours are great but I've never had a sour stout I've enjoyed.
  7. brother_kenneth

brother_kenneth Member

I've yet to try a sour stout, but I imagine that I would enjoy the style. I have heard good things about Bruery's Tart of Darkness which I hope to pick up soon.
  8. ncaudle

ncaudle Member

there were some initial growing pains when Barrel House first started in the spring but by most accounts things have been getting better.
    the Full Nelson cans are a staple in my fridge... great everyday hoppy pale drinker.
    brother_kenneth likes this.
  9. Sonofalime

Sonofalime Member

I agree but I would think one would perfect a simple brew before attempting barrel aging.
    ASUBeer likes this.
  10. ScottyC54

ScottyC54 Member

I've had a bunch of their offerings while visiting family down in VA. While Full Nelson was just a balanced, easy drinking Pale, I was pretty impressed with the Barrel House offerings. I enjoyed Local Species a fair amount and I thought Dark Hollow was damn good, if a little shy on the bourbon character. Mandolin was pretty nice too if I remember.

I have a bottle of Isabel waiting for me which I have really high hopes for. Chocolate covered Orange is probably my favorite thing on the planet so hopefully it delivers. I'll definitely have to have someone pick up a bottle of this to save for me.
  11. rhartogsq

rhartogsq Member

Isabel is a great beer. I love the subtleness of each ingredient.
  12. Hanzo

Hanzo Member

I enjoy Full Nelson and Mandolin from them. Interested in trying this.
  13. ASUBeer

ASUBeer Member

BA Wild Stout from old Dark Hollow barrels? Sounds like an accidental sour gone marketed.
  14. brother_kenneth

brother_kenneth Member

While that is certainly a possibility, I believe that it was done deliberately. Either way, I am going to give it a shot!
  15. Sonofalime

Sonofalime Member

There is some funk on the nose with this brew.
  16. brother_kenneth

brother_kenneth Member

Does this mean you have tried it? Is it available??
  17. BearsOnAcid

BearsOnAcid Member

Sounds like it was an accident. If it tastes good then whatever; hope it works out.
  18. SupremePie

SupremePie Member

interested to see how this turns out
  19. mocktm

mocktm Member

Really looking forward to see how this turns out. If its solid, having a local sour will be nice.
    Sonofalime and brother_kenneth like this.
  20. Sonofalime

Sonofalime Member

Yea picked up a bottle a while back. Not sure if it's still around. I'll check if your interested.
  21. brother_kenneth

brother_kenneth Member

Yeah I didn't think it was going to be released until late December. I may check in with the brewery because I would totally be willing to drive up that way if they have some there!
    legend8706 likes this.
  22. smackdaddy

smackdaddy Member

Hey all...one of my brewers down here at the new production facility alerted me to this thread, and I wanted to chime in. I love that most of you are stoked for the new Sour Devil! It's issue #1 out of our new Sour Barrel Series. Both Sour Devil and our issue #2 (a pale sour) are out for TTB formulation approval right now, so no, they are not available yet. We were hoping for late Dec. for #1 and Feb for #2, but it's in the hands of the feds as far as timeline. Thank you all for your support!
    Taylor Smack
    Blue Mountain Brewery
    Blue Mountain Barrel House
  23. legend8706

legend8706 Member

yeah I was just thinking to myself how much sense that statement doesn't make..."picked up a bottle a while back...", and then reading the above comment from an employee of BMB and I'm thinking that yeah, someone is full of shit here...
  24. Nicolay3535

Nicolay3535 Member

Dark Hallow wa pretty darn good.
  25. Sonofalime

Sonofalime Member

Good point. Miss informed that's all. The dark hollow and chocolate & coffee is what I've had. Thanks for not being a dick, oh wait.
  26. brother_kenneth

brother_kenneth Member

Now now, let's all get along folks! It was obviously a mistake, albeit a strange one (confusing a chocolate stout with a sour is a little odd, but hey, who gives a shit?). No biggie. Remember...it's just fucking beer! On that note, I think I will go enjoy a brew right now! i would encourage you all to do the same :D
  27. Sonofalime

Sonofalime Member

The reg dark hollow smelled funky but tasted ok, a bit off that's all. Looking forward to trying the other offerings, especially the sour.
  28. jkeffer13

jkeffer13 Member

Tried Sour Devil for the first time the other night and thought it was incredible. Dark Hollow is a great local beer but Sour Devil was on another level. Great funk smell and sour tones. Thought it was a great sour stout. Don't have much to compare it to but I have a bottle of Jester King Funk Metal on the way via trade and can't wait to compare the two.
    hornsup and brother_kenneth like this.