1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Blushing Monk

Discussion in 'Cellaring / Aging Beer' started by mjshearer1, Jan 18, 2013.

1. mjshearer1

mjshearer1 Advocate (520) Michigan Dec 16, 2011

Anyone had the 2011 recently? I'm wondering how it's tasting a year and a half out. My main concern would be if the raspberries or sweetness dropped off. I'm considering trading for it, as it's the only Backstage beer I never got a hold of, but if it's turned into a mess, than I'll just wait and hope they release it again/put it on tap.

2. I had one back in August and I thought it was still really good.

3. The one I had in December was fantastic, but it was the only one I've had, so I can't compare it to a fresh one. The raspberries were still very prominent. One of the best fruit beers I've ever tried.

4. JohnB87

JohnB87 Savant (325) Michigan Mar 14, 2011

I can certainly attest to the fact that it has not turned into a mess. The in-your-face sweetness has subsided a bit and lets you enjoy the rest of the flavors in the beer. When it first came out, I bought a ton of it and was a bit disappointed because it was so damn sweet, but it's drinking amazing right now. We opened one in line for 4elf and we were all pleasantly surprised.

Not that it would ever happen on the trading forums, but after splitting that one, a friend traded me a 750 of Black Note and a BCBCS for one bottle of Blushing Monk so he could open it with his girl for NYE.

5. cocoapuph

cocoapuph Savant (390) California Mar 4, 2011

Drank mine last week and it was really good. Tasted like raspberry juice mixed with champaign.

gpawned and mjshearer1 like this.
  6. mjshearer1

mjshearer1 Advocate (520) Michigan Dec 16, 2011

Damn, you got a hell of a deal there. Thanks for the info!

7. MarcatGSB

MarcatGSB Initiate (0) Michigan Jan 8, 2011

Way to work over a good friend, asshole!;)

8. I had a bottle last night. It had the most fruit flavour in a beer that I've experienced so far. The sweetness was pretty much the same as ripe raspberries, maybe just a touch more. Haven't had it fresh, but wouldn't hesitate to trade for this right now or even leave it a few months longer.

gpawned likes this.
  9. JohnB87

JohnB87 Savant (325) Michigan Mar 14, 2011

Hey, I said he was a friend, not a GOOD friend.

I did feel guilty as hell though.

10. I've probably consumed as much of this as anyone...and still have about a case worth in the basement. Easily one of my favorites. A true guilty pleasure. Last June we were able to do a side by side of the latest batch, and the '07. The '07 was BEYOND amazing. 3% higher ABV...and didn't taste like it had even as much alcohol as the '11...much less more.

Great beer for sharing too. I don't think I've ever tackled one solo.

JohnB87 likes this.
  11. surlytheduff

surlytheduff Savant (380) Michigan Jul 22, 2010

The 2007 release wasn't that high ABV. Shortly before the 2011 release (can't seem to find now, but it's out there) Founders person said they did an analysis of a 2007 bottle and found that it was same (or about same) ABV as the new batch. Said the equipment they used then vs. now to get final readings was more accurate.

I've had a 2007 release at about 3 1/2 years and thought it was fantastic - better than fresh.

Retail1LO likes this.
  12. RDMII

RDMII Savant (315) Georgia Apr 11, 2010

Guilt passes. Good beer doesn't.

JohnB87 likes this.
  13. JRod1969

JRod1969 Advocate (600) New York Nov 23, 2010

I had one last night and it was great. Tons of raspberry and quite sweet without the original slight tartness I got at the release. Go get it.

14. steebo777

steebo777 Advocate (535) Michigan Jun 30, 2009

This is 100% true.

15. soze47

soze47 Savant (345) Massachusetts May 22, 2010

Had one on thanksgiving. Everyone, even some who don't usually like raspberry and cherry brews, loved it. The sweetness in the fresh bottle I had dissipated a lot and left a more complex, tart beer behind. Way better with the age on it. I wish I had another!

16. I drank a 2011 fresh and thought it was undrinkably sweet...I had three 2007s left in my cellar and opened one a couple months ago...it was absolutely phenomenal!

I still have two of those left in my cellar, I would like to trade at least one, but I think they are seriously undervalued here. IMO, this beer is as difficult to find (if not moreso) and as valuable as King Henry or CBS.

Retail1LO likes this.
  17. gpawned

gpawned Initiate (0) Illinois Jun 5, 2012

Had one a few weeks ago (never had the opportunity to try it fresh). It tastes like really good raspberry jam. Definitely worth picking up.

18. I had one relatively fresh and one recently and it's getting a lot better with age, IMO. It's on my to-do list to trade for a couple more actually. Such a great, unique beer. I'm biased as a raspberry lover, but this thing is great.