1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

BMC buddy stories

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by JamesMN, Oct 14, 2012.

1. JamesMN

JamesMN Savant (370) Minnesota Jul 12, 2012

Thought it might be interesting/funny to hear some stories about what your BMC buddies have asked/shared with you about beer related stuff.

One of my BMC buddies just about gave me a heart attack tonight. He texted me a picture of a bottle of DFH 120 Minute sitting on a kitchen counter and wrote "Have you heard of this?" (He had no idea what it was).
    I can't get DFH where I live and assumed he had come across a bottle while on vacation (and I immediately pictured him guzzling it down straight from the bottle without time for me to let him know how special that beer is!) I was about to offer him $$ for it when he told me a friend of his had sent him the picture. It's just funny that what I think of as "common beer knowledge"(i.e. DFH 120 Minute is rare) is like a foreign language to most of the population.

Anyone else have any anecdotes to share or funny "beer advice" questions that have been asked of you? (I've been asked "Are darker beers stronger than lighter colored beers?" Hard not to be sarcastic when answering that one).

2. MichPaul

MichPaul Advocate (710) Michigan Jan 28, 2012

My BMC buddies don't seem to understand how I make the 2 hour+ trip to FFF for Zombie Dust and other treats from time to time. They get a few good laughs in about it. To me, the jokes on them for drinking swill! Ha ha!

3. Lots of 120 out here let me know if u want to trade some time. I forget I am spoiled.

4. My cousin drinks Dos Equis because "the commercials are better."

5. aasher

aasher Champion (910) Indiana Jan 27, 2010

I just wish my BMC drinking buddies wouldn't complain about pricing. They say they can't afford to drink New Belgium all the time, at $8.99. Instead they buy cases of BMC all the time and do other stuff like they're still college age. Come on now! We're on the verge of being 26. Grow up!

Duff27 likes this.
  6. JamesMN

I'll keep that in mind!

7. I always get people looking at me crazily when I mention I'm aging beer for years

8. Alextricity

Alextricity Champion (785) Michigan Jun 18, 2012

I have a friend that instantly tried craft beer when he first turned 21. He drainpoured a bunch of great stuff, including Edmund Fitzgerald. He claims "Bud Light is the only beer I can tolerate."

I tell him, "Bud Light is beer for people that hate beer."

At least he agreed.

harperman69 likes this.
  9. Alextricity

I like how some of my friends don't hesitate to buy a bottle of Bud Light at a bar for $4. Are you shitting me?

10. davey101

davey101 Initiate (0) Connecticut Apr 14, 2009

A while back at the bar one of my friends was stoked to try the new bud light platinum. He said he was going to drink his first one to celebrate after an exam. He was under the impression that "ultra premium AB" = expensive. I decided to be a jackass and buy him a bottle on the spot. He loved the beer and said the bottle was going in his strong beer collection. I was confused and asked about it. He said he collects bottle of super strong beer, you know...like long trail double bag and triple bag. I left it at that, even though I was sipping on a 90 minute.

11. Steimie

Steimie Initiate (0) Michigan Jan 7, 2012

Clearly there are people in this thread that need new friends.

12. Alextricity

I'm way too full of myself and my beer that it actually bothers me when I see them drink Bud Light and only Bud Light.

There can be a tap list of 200 beers. "Bud Light, please."

They can be essentially same price. "Bud Light, please."

I mean, shit. Even if you love Bud Light, why not try something else? My one friend did -- the other I've ONLY SEEN drink Bud Light or B.L. Platinum.

13. yamar68

yamar68 Initiate (0) Minnesota Apr 1, 2011

I guzzle 120 on the daily.

14. davey101

davey101 Initiate (0) Connecticut Apr 14, 2009

Lame. Ya gotta boot that stuff, shogo style.

15. jRocco2021

jRocco2021 Savant (405) Wisconsin Mar 13, 2010

i recruited my father to help me score enough bcbs for myself and a couple trades since he works near some places that where gonna have it when he first landed it he landed 6 and he kept trying to put one in the fridge so he could try it i had to basically wrestle it away from him lol he doesn't even like Guinness and when I got more I opened one and split it with him he drank it but that shut him up quick

16. JamesMN

I have a friend who really likes the movie Spinal Tap so I told her that there is a beer called "This one goes to 11" and that it's 11% ABV. Her immediate response was "OMG that's just like budlight platinum"
    I digress.

squirrely2005 likes this.
  17. Unfortunately, too many people get their beer knowledge from BMC marketing tactics and if you also throw in people's proclivity toward the familiar, tried and true, you get those who walk into a bar and ask for a Budweiser product. Why else are there 1,000s of fast food places everywhere you go. It's all bland, homogenized, heavily advertised crap [the food and the beer]. It is only the adventurous among us that will try new things.

18. Sneers

Sneers Savant (385) Pennsylvania Dec 27, 2009

One time my friends who drink BMC were good, intelligent people with whom I have a lot in common.

Jnorton00, wibeerman, dbc5 and 8 others like this.
  19. hopswap1

hopswap1 Savant (385) Illinois Apr 27, 2012

I asked my BMC friend to go to the bolt cutter release with me. He told me he couldn't make it but to "pick up like 5 for me".

MichPaul likes this.
  20. deadbody

deadbody Savant (340) Minnesota May 10, 2010

I'll be honest I don't mind Dos Equis and when I am buying cheap beer to bring to a party or something the adds generally are a good reason for me to buy it instead of anything else at the same price point (cause I leave the extra there as a good guest unlike some of you cheap fucks)

TheBoog013 likes this.
  21. To be sure, it definitely is better than all the other BMC light lagers. (probably has something to do with the fact that it isn't a light lager) It's just funny because my cousin cares nothing about its taste. He only buys it because of the most interesting man in the world commercials.

And way to not be a cheap fuck! Cheers!

22. franklinn

franklinn Savant (440) Vermont May 29, 2012

Friend: What are you doing this afternoon?
    Me: I have to go up to greensboro to get some beers (Hill Farmstead-about an hour and 15 mins away)
    Friend: You have to go to greensboro to get beer? You know they sell it at the corner store, right?

He was kinda kidding, but kinda serious at the same time. I guess it could be worse, he drinks Sierra Nevada and other available craft beers, but doesn't care to seek out anything that's difficult to obtain.

23. wbumgarner

wbumgarner Aficionado (160) Jul 16, 2012

Majority of my buddies are BMC to the core. I had a buddy come over to my place once, reach in my fridge and grab a two hearted ale. He cracked it open, took a swallow and was disgusted. He told me my beer had soured and was on the was to the sink to poor it out when i stopped him dead in his tracks. Needless to say he brought his own BL from then on. I do have on guy I made friends with recently, who didn't drink anything at all. I had an old Rasputin and Hopping Frog in the fridge and he tasted them both and loved them. I turned they guy into a craft lover and now he comes to my house at least twice a week with 6 packs of decent stuff.

johnnybgood1999, Duff27 and Zach136 like this.
  24. Mosstrooper

Mosstrooper Savant (415) California Jul 17, 2008

Back in January, my girlfriend at the time was always saying that she liked Coors Light best of the big three, and couldn't drink any of the others. She wasn't exactly a BMC person, as I had introduced her to some beers she liked, but she wasn't even close to being "into" beer, either. So, based on her Coors Light statement, I reasoned that, if she blind tasted the big three light beers, she probably wouldn't be able to pick out Coors Light. I also argued that, because they are so bland and homogenous, that I wouldn't be able to, either.

So, one day I poured all three into different cups and handed each to her to sample. I don't remember the order of the beers, but I remember Coors Light was #3. She sipped all of them, and said "I can't tell which is Coors Light, but #3 is definitely my least favorite." Eliminating #3, she sipped the other two again and eventually said she liked Miller Lite the best. She was very surprised when I revealed the results, and I have no idea how I kept a straight face when she eliminated #3 immediately.

Then it was my turn, she gave all three to me in a different order. To my surprise, I disproved half of my original hypothesis by naming which of the blind samples was which beer after only one sip. I learned that day that all are weak on flavor, but Coors Light is the sweetest, Miller Lite has a faint hop flavor, and Bud Light is the wateriest.

25. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Advocate (595) Colorado Jan 20, 2012

I turned one of my bmc friends on to craft. Now he's pissed that he can't buy a 18 pack for fifteen bucks anymore, but refuses to drink the swill.

26. CMUbrew

CMUbrew Savant (425) Michigan Jan 27, 2012

Ha! You would love my cousin. He posts his beer drinking on Facebook like it's LNBA, except it's always Bud Light. Always.

27. EkimGram

EkimGram Aficionado (245) New York Oct 16, 2009

I'm particularly fond of when one BMC friend starts to bad-mouth another BMC beer that another friend drinks (i.e. he drinks bud lite and judges those who drink coors)

The arguments that arise from that are hilarious, especially when they start using those infamous terms like "triple-hopped" or bring calories into the mix.

slim2043, meanmutt and Providence like this.
  28. That's the power of marketing.

robinsmv likes this.
  29. Alextricity

I think it rather shows how "easy" some people are ... as well as ignorant.

30. yamar68

yamar68 Initiate (0) Minnesota Apr 1, 2011

this one time my friend was like "omg im gonna drink this natty daddy so fast" and I was like "nah dude dont do it" but he was like "im totally gonna" and then he totally did

31. (That was my point.) I defer to my original statement.

robinsmv likes this.
  32. lurchingbeast

lurchingbeast Initiate (0) Illinois Feb 19, 2009

Beer=Life,Bro

33. Alextricity

And I mine.

People be trippin'.

slim2043 likes this.
  34. Czar_chasm

Czar_chasm Savant (355) Michigan Jun 20, 2012

Or $8 for a Labatt at a game when you can get pours of oberon (16 oz) or two hearted (12 oz) for $7... that one makes me go wtffffffffffff

35. This. All the way. I've been told cuz at a bar you're paying for the "atmosphere"/experience". Didn't make sense to me.

36. Lutter

Lutter Advocate (650) Texas Jun 30, 2010

I think I'm much more tolerant than most people on this board, lol. I have BMC friends, but I don't try to convert or educate them about craft beer... they've had craft beer (if you live in an urban area, everyone has had it pretty much) and made their own decision about what they like. I'm not so stuffy as to turn down a Victoria (which one of my friends drinks religiously) or Bud Light at a friends' house either... I always keep Shiner Bock around for guests as well (and myself), which everyone loves BMC or craft-minded alike (just like Yuengling was on the East Coast).

Southern hospitality, I guess. :)

I did laugh when I was at a bar in Miami last week with my dad and Bud Light was $6 and Bell's Two Hearted was $7. For serious? lol.

37. PaulQuinn

PaulQuinn Savant (295) Brazil May 27, 2011

I once went to a bar with a friend who don't actually drink anything. So we started drinking and after two bud light he was going "dude, I'm d-runk, to-tally d-runk". I was just happy drinking my Hop Stoopid and because I was seeing him, finally, (a little) drunk, but, seriously? drunk after two bud light? It's sad actually.

38. CJLuzzo

CJLuzzo Initiate (0) Indiana Feb 22, 2012

two words..... Triple Hopped !

39. cubbyswans

cubbyswans Savant (370) Missouri Jun 10, 2008

If you think you're a good guest because you leave Dos Equis in the fridge, maybe you should think a little harder.

robinsmv likes this.
  40. cubbyswans

cubbyswans Savant (370) Missouri Jun 10, 2008

Jesus... you're single now, I bet.