1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

BMC buddy stories

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by JamesMN, Oct 14, 2012.

1. pmoney

pmoney Advocate (595) Illinois Apr 15, 2011

One time I tried to share my homebrew with some buddies. Then we all got smart and went to BDubs and drank ice-cold Bud Lights!
    dsal89 and Czar_chasm like this.
  2. Most of my friends appreciate SN, DFH, New Belgium, etc. even if they don't go looking for bombers of imperial stout, and even when you want a cheap, inoffensive lager there's always Yuengling around here. Dos Equis is one of the last beers I would ever buy, up there with Heineken. Great commercials don't prevent it from tasting like a swimming pool. Add in the "import" pricing and you've got the worst deal in beer.
    If I want a cheap case of beer, I get cans of Yuengling.
  3. lucasj82

lucasj82 Advocate (640) Indiana Aug 13, 2009

Yeah my ML friends talk shit the the Coors/BL friends sometimes. "That crap tastes like water compared to a Miller Lite"

Sigh...............
  4. mcaulifww

mcaulifww Initiate (0) Virginia Aug 18, 2011

Is that some sort of Excel Protip formula? If so, you forgot the parenthesis
  5. Once I had a Sasquatch themed party to go with the SN Bigfoot release for 2012, and I poured my BMC friend a glass of it and he said it tasted like coors light...

I actually slapped him and took the glass from him.
  6. lurchingbeast

lurchingbeast Initiate (0) Illinois Feb 19, 2009

Its what the tattoo on the side of my neck says.
    harperman69 likes this.
  7. Mosstrooper

Mosstrooper Savant (415) California Jul 17, 2008

Damn right.
  8. FosterJM

FosterJM Champion (825) California Nov 16, 2009

My buddy just sent me a pic the other night of his Shipyard Pumpkin he was drinking. This was before I bought him a 12 rack of Coors Light because his Chargers suck so bad.

Cheers!
  9. FosterJM

FosterJM Champion (825) California Nov 16, 2009

Were you at Band Camp or Ice Fishing in MN when this happened?

Cheers!
  10. I turned some friends on to Lagunitas A Little Sumpin' Wild...first response?

"I think my lips are numb"
  11. I have a friend that told me hes gotten into craft beer. He said he goes to World of Beer in Columbus, OH. I was like cool, ok. I met him at a craft beer bar where me and another friend (who was also bartending) were opening a Robert the Bruce from 3Floyds and a Rose de Gambrinus. We all go, and he pours them for everyone. Were drinking and enjoying them. Hes ordering some ok craft, and im just drinking some great stuff too.

I check his untappd checkins later that week, and I see this:
    Miller Lite
    Yuengling Black and Tan
    Cantillon
    3Floyds
    La Trappe
    Bud Light x4
    Miller Lite
    Yuengling

I kind was like ok, youre not on my level of utter craft beer geekiness.
  12. Ack, I forgot the worst. An officemate who spent the first ~26 years of his life in Dortmund, Germany. His favorite American beer? Coors Lite.
  13. If I were you I would never let this quote die amongst them.
  14. jjanega08

jjanega08 Savant (420) Minnesota Oct 9, 2008

I just had a guy tell me that Coors Light is 8% ABV in Texas. His reasoning was that everything is bigger in Texas. I didn't say anything about it though because he was installing my sisters cable box and he was creeping her out.
  15. I had two friends talking about how abv of Bud is like 7% in Texas and everywhere else was like 4 to 5. I just nodded and acted drunker than I thought.
    Duff27 and jjanega08 like this.
  16. You guys are way nicer than I would be. I would point out their fail and then make fun of it.
    Rau71 likes this.
  17. Just remembered this one time my dad explaining that Dos Equis was a lager and so that's why it's a little heavier. A few weeks ago i explained basically everything he drinks(busch mostly) is a lager. He looks at me with this face of shock and sadness that his 21 year old son told him this.

I also hear a lot of older people, like my friends parents, say things like "oh you like that heavy stuff, I can't drink that anymore" when we have a case of something like Budweiser. Blows my mind and I usually have something good on hand and always want to offer them a taste but I know they wouldn't even think about it.
  18. ChanChan

ChanChan Advocate (555) California Dec 12, 2009

My roommate keeps drinking my beer, the first was a 2009 Stone IRS I had in the fridge, he drained poured it because it was "nasty," he told me he would replace it :mad: then he opened my only 2010 bottle of Bitches brew, he poured half in a glass and left the other half in the fridge, I had to drink it that same night, it was awesome but I am still angry!! I dont keep good beer in the fridge anymore unless I know I will drink it soon. The latest beer he drank was an extra I had gotten in a trade from Philadelphia :mad:

I hide my beer when I go out of town now!!
  19. I had that problem living in DC. Got a new roommate who quit his job 3 weeks in and turned into an alcoholic. Would wake up and sit on the couch while drinking all damn day. Come home around 5 and he'd be pretty damn drunk. Had to start keeping beers in my room or else they'd be gone. Kinda sad actually, he was an asshole roommate for sure, but he legit had an issue.
  20. jmarsh123

jmarsh123 Advocate (535) Indiana Mar 31, 2010

I have a friend who only drank Bud Light or Killians for years. He's recently discovered craft beer and has now taken a liking to Summer Shandy. Baby steps. He does drink my less aggressive homebrews when I bring them over.
  21. I met up with a buddy at Russian River that I hadn't seen in a few years. He's never had a craft beer, just BMC. He had no clue what to order so I ordered him a Happy Hops and he seemed to enjoy it. His is reaction to my brother's FFaC and my Pliny was priceless though. "That's disgusting, why would you spend money on that?".

I then proceeded to explain the whole craft beer thing. He seemed pretty intrigued by the depth that beer can have. A few days later he sent me a text asking what craft beer to buy at the store. Success!

Back in August I was in South Africa. My first night out I asked the waiter what they had for beer. After he told me what they had (which was only 2 beers), I asked him which one was the most bitter. He instantly replied with, "Why would you want to drink a bitter beer?". I found it pretty hard to not laugh.
    Duff27 likes this.
  22. slim2043

slim2043 Savant (385) Connecticut Jul 23, 2012

I have a BMC buddy who dabbles but primarily goes for swill because he's broke. He appreciates La Fin Du Monde but gets pissed whenever I give him an IPA. He makes me laugh w clever anecdotes when asking for a beer at my place...

"Do you have any regular beer?"
    "Any thing in here that won't make me want to cut off my tongue?" Or the classic "WTF is ____?" Or "can I drink Sherrie's beer?"

I now try to throw him off w craft cans of SixPoint NEBCO & Oskar Blues. I really hope he picks Resin or Deviant Dales next time he's here :D
  23. ScottK22

ScottK22 Savant (345) New York Dec 30, 2010

My super redneck father-in-law is famous for this:

Me: Drinking ANY craft beer

Him: "Oh geez.....Drinking that shit beer again"?

Did I mention that as he says this he is holding a can of Busch Light?
  24. According to one of my co-workers, "Guinness has marbles in the can."
    Duff27 and franklinn like this.
  25. Had a Hop Stupid at the last house party i went to(since it get it for like 3 bucks a bomber, discounts yo). I offered sips to anyone who asked about it. I dont think anyone appreciated it since everyone was drinking coors.

At another party up at college, i brought some breakage i got from my job (most of an 18 of Miller lt, but 5 bottles of Stone Ruination 12oz). I poured that in flip cup cups for my buddies, they nearly spat it out. It was a fun show.
  26. harperman69

harperman69 Savant (355) Tennessee Feb 11, 2009

I have converted all my BMC friends into craft fans. As one of them puts it, "if I can't pronounce it, I'll probably love it."
  27. WankelEngine

WankelEngine Savant (345) Illinois Mar 28, 2011

I had one friend who would proclaim loudly, "Oh you're drinkin' those shit beers, huh? Those dark beers always give me the awfulest poops! Aren't you gonna like, shit your pants?" any time I had a beer darker than a Pilsner (pretty much all the time).

We're not friends anymore.
  28. mine's just the same story over and over again.

I go to my friends' house with a sixer of Firestone Walker and leave 1 or 2 behind.
    next weekend my friends come to my house with swill and leave swill behind.

if I'm lucky it'll be PBR or Modelo.
  29. ChanChan

ChanChan Advocate (555) California Dec 12, 2009

Here's another one, an alcoholic uncle of mine was at a barbecue at my parent's last year, Kern Citra had just been released and I had landed three bottles. Drank one and stored two bottles in the fridge at my parent's I was planning on taking them back to my apt. Anyway, this uncle (married to my father's sister) walks in the house and takes a Citra in his hands and asks if he could drink it :eek: I was like uhhhhhh, I can go to the store and get you a Budweiser, he's like let me give this a try, I probably wont like it but I will drink it anyway... One of my brothers was there and told me just let him have it, I will replace it. I decided f*&$ no!!! I drove all over the city to land these three beers!! Hell no!! Good thing my BMC friends saved the day when they showed up with some Corona!!

I love happy endings!!!