BMC craft beer strategy

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by otispdriftwood, Jan 9, 2013.

1. I haven't heard of any seasonal BMC releases but seeing how BMC is, so to speak, getting on the craft beer bandwagon, we shouldn't be surprised if the macro geniuses take a page from craft brewers and limit some of their beers to seasonals. Hell, even McDonalds trots out the McRib every few months/years [I don't eat there so I'm not sure of the timing but it sure seems that way]. Unless, of course, those geniuses are afraid they'll miss some sales when the release sells out. But they could take a page from Disney movies that come out as "limited availability", which is usually only limited to what they are able to sell. If you follow these forums, it's a provable fact that seasonal releases get hyped up whether the beer is outstanding or just run of the mill so by releasing a new beer every few months . . . . I'm stopping now so I don't give them any more ideas.

2. ilikebeer03

ilikebeer03 Savant (390) Texas Oct 17, 2012

They already make a "brewmasters selection" or something of the sort. It's a variety 12 pack with "craft" beers. I havent had it, so I can't vouche one way or the other for their tastes.

3. Derranged

Derranged Advocate (525) New York Mar 7, 2010

Word on the street is they're gonna make a barrel aged Natty Ice.

4. tectactoe

tectactoe Champion (835) Michigan Mar 20, 2012

If they were smart, they'd make a seasonal only available during spring break and bump it up to 7% ABV.

"BRO! We're gonna get soooo wasted this week!!!"

5. Mgm54

Mgm54 Savant (375) Illinois Apr 7, 2011

I think part of BMC strategy is to get the maximum shelf space possible in stores, so that other beers don't get any room. I would think if they made a product that sold, they would just want to keep it on the shelves, hense gaining more shelf space

benart likes this.
  6. They'll figure it out eventually. If the "little guy" craft brewers are doing something and making money and getting a lot of "hype" the macro geniuses will weigh out the financials move on it.

7. Coors started brewing seasonal "specialty" beers back in the late 80's, with their release of Winterfest. At first, it was a Colorado-only beer but eventually went national. They followed that with a spring Eisbock, summer Weizenbier and an Oktoberfest Marzen by the early-mid- '90's.

AB put out a winter/Holiday seasonal Brew Master Private Reserve Budweiser in the early 2000's that was rumored to be high gravity Budweiser (pre-dilution- but that apparently was not true :() . It was later switched to a doppelbock recipe, IIRC. Around the same era, and also for the holidays, they had a Vanilla and Chocolate Michelob in some fancy "bullet" shaped bottle and that Bourbon Cask Ale with a snowman as it's logo.

And, before the craft era, like most US brewers, they all had spring seasonal Bock beers at various times in the post-Repeal era. The Bud Bock was supposedly still available as a draught-only product into the the 1980's (but I never saw it.)

Chaz and crushedvol like this.
  8. mychalg9

mychalg9 Advocate (710) Illinois Apr 8, 2010

I've been thinking about it lately , and I actually think the BMC strategy is to make shitty craft beer knockoffs that people will try and determine that "craft" beer sucks and go back to their regular BMC crap.

9. So as of recent times, they've all been discontinued?

10. I guess this could happen but I doubt this was their entry strategy.

thepartybird likes this.
  11. Don't know what happened with AB's Brew Master Private Reserve - my impression was that it may have been a casualty of the InBev merger. Coors Winterfest still exists or, at least, was recently revived by their Tenth & Blake/A. C. Golden subsidiary.

12. cubbyswans

cubbyswans Savant (370) Missouri Jun 10, 2008

13. steveh

steveh Champion (765) Illinois Oct 8, 2003

Yeah, all of those Blue Moon seasonals are pretty prevalent on shelves.

14. jglowe77

jglowe77 Initiate (0) Massachusetts Jan 24, 2011

I just read a press release; it's aged in Yellow Tail Pinot Grigio barrels for 6 minutes.

IcemanCometh and justintcoons like this.
  15. cubbyswans

This whole thread makes no sense then. It's not an AB seasonal if it's not Bud or Bud Light Fall, in your book, then? You said BMC seasonals, and I pointed out several.

Any seasonal, by that definition, would not be one of their major brands. Blue Moon and Shock Top are everywhere. I don't know how you wouldn't consider them major BMC brands.

16. cubbyswans

Also... there are Budweiser 'limited edition' releases all the time. They put out special Olympics cans, or World Series winner aluminum bottles, or Hooters bottles....

I'm not sure where you are coming from that you think AB hasn't taken a page from the craft beer book. They put out a metric shit ton of seasonal and limited availability products either via their pseudo craft products or their 'collectible' containers.

17. There are plenty:
    Goose Island Summertime
    GI HArvest Ale
    GI Mild Winter
    GI Christmas Ale
    Bourbon County

18. For serious. There are a lot of shitty mix-a-six walls out there. 2/3rds of it will be comprised of BMC + fake craft + stuff that's not even beer. Then the other 3rd is old craft beer. Noob comes in, wants variety, buys six new "craft" beers, drinks them -doesnt understand the hype. Never tries craft again.

19. steveh

Lame. All developed without an A-B influence.

20. StoutLover4life

StoutLover4life Initiate (0) Dec 13, 2012

they already have bourbon county.... they've already won...

21. LeRose

LeRose Advocate (605) Massachusetts Nov 24, 2011

I read something about this kind of marketing strategy - limited time only yadayada stuff. Taco Bell does it all the time (Doritos Locos Taco, Spicy Crunch Wrap Burrito, etc). They hype it up, sell a crapload of whatever for a short period of time, then rotate in something else. Those that choose to eat the stuff rush in like moths to a flame. The sales volume spike is like ridiculously astronomical, but then sort of fades. They swap out before the volume falls and bring in the "next big thing". Creates a constant "splash" in the eyes of consumers - new adds, new hype. Of course that pisses off all the people who've gotten themselves addicted to whatever and creates the "repeat hype" for the next cycle. Sales volume, store traffic, and trial and repeat purchasers, maybe take a hit on margin, so I am told. Golden Arches has it nailed - McRib "availability" cycles with pork rib meat (allegedly) prices, for example, so that is buy low/sell high strategy to maintain margin, plus the billions and billions served. You don't see them during the summer when everybody is grillin'...

So why wouldn't any brewery (macro, micro, whatever) try the same strategy? Seems to me I've read a bunch of stuff about people lining up and camping out to get a limited release beer. Thinking like Kate the Great as an extreme - where you can be one of the "exclusive few" who have had it (no offense to the exclusive few is intended). BCBS variants, maybe a less extreme example? There is also the idea that when the limited release isn't available, you'll probably buy something else. It builds brand awareness - well, I can't get "that" right now, but they have "this". Plus the subliminal message that if it is a limited release it must be good.

The BMC folks might be trying a strategy called "good, better, best" where they have products ranging from swill to something that might be marginally almost maybe halfway decent. Seeing that a lot lately, and we've been shown examples from hotel chains to designer watches (I think it was Tag Hauer that also makes Swatch...I forget). Now, for BMC this might amount to putting a different label on the same pee, but the idea makes sense. Range of products at different price points for different target audiences. OK...AB/Inbev bought Goose Island, but just for argument's sake actually leaves them alone and doesn't change the brew but does a bang up job with distribution...hmmm... Bud Light to Goose Island is quite the range...they wanted to add a "best" category to their portfolio (ok...let the flaying being).

I think seasonal is a little different. That has some understandable logic to it - I'm not drinking a shandy during the winter and probably not drinking a big ol' RIS in the summer while I'm mowing my lawn. But that is about extending the product line and offering different products for different "consumption occassions" to meet different "need states" and "balancing volume turns with the right product mix"... I work in a food/beverage company and a little of the jargon has been assimilated...marketing group is like the Borg. But it is all about providing a range of products that the consumer is going to purchase frequently and in enough volume to make money - brand awareness and product availability for any consumption occasion.

And really...who are we kidding? Even the most altruistic brewery on the planet is still in it to make money. Might be founded on the most noble intentions, but at the end of the day it's business and money.

OK...rant mode off...hope there was something useful buried in there.

mychalg9 and Crusader like this.
  22. AxesandAnchors

AxesandAnchors Savant (300) Oregon Nov 21, 2012

Yep, and they're already doing it. People should start requesting brands at their local stores, put pressure on the retailer. No one wants to lose sales. I shop mostly at bottle shops so it's not usually a problem, but I know a lot of grocers will bring in particular items if you ask. Ultimately they wan't to make you happy and keep you coming back (and spending your money). The only way things will change is if you vote with your dollar and keep voicing your opinion.

23. Brewed and sold by AB/InBev now

brewbetter likes this.
  24. steveh

So wait... you can see A-B brewers in Chicago? All the way from Jersey?

Lame.

25. acelin

acelin Savant (300) Kansas Feb 14, 2009

The brewmasters pack was a competition to select the beer that would end up as Budweiser Black Crown. It's not bad. All malt, low hop bitterness, cheap.

Chaz likes this.
  26. You can keep saying Lame. It doesn't make the fact that Goose Island is now AB/InBev any less true.
    You may not care and you may choose to drink it anyway. But it doesn't make BCBS any less of an AB/InBev product.

And saying Lame makes you sound like an insolent teenage girl

27. I found it funny, lighten up.

28. steveh

All of the brewers at Goose Island came up through the original Chicago brewery. All of the beers have been developed by people who want to brew good beer. You may not care and you may choose not to drink it, but don't discount the fact that it's good beer and not (yet anyway) affected by a long-distance ownership.

As has been pointed out by others, it's the way A-B got themselves into micro-brewing without attempting some swill brewed alongside Bud. They couldn't beat 'em, why not join 'em.

I figured you (and Capt. Awesome (that's not teeny-bopper?)) didn't know the definition of asinine. ;)

29. steveh

I'll bet you find a lot of things funny that most people wouldn't, don't you? o_O

Any time someone tries to play the A-B card with Goose Island anymore it's just plain lame. It's been hashed over and nothing has been proven. Goose Island still makes good beer and until they don't I can't see pointing a finger at A-B like some boy who cried wolf.

30. evilc

evilc Initiate (0) California Jan 27, 2012

He has a real hard on for GI....

31. evilc

We get it. You don't like ABInbev or GI and you will not drink BCBS.

Getting so freaking old.

32. steveh

One'a those, eh?

33. steveh

Old and... c'mon, say it with me now... lame. :D

34. Goose Island does still make tremendous beer, but that doesn't mean some won't take major issue with their new ownership. Some do, you don't. No biggie. I think citing GI's offerings as Inbev's seasonals actually makes sense in a way. Inbev is trying to get the craft dollar, so they are buying up craft breweries that are willing to sell. As such, any seasonal by a craft company Inbev owns is an Inbev seasonal nonetheless. That certainly doesn't make Sofie "macro swill" but it will keep those who don't want to support Inbev away nonetheless.

SammyJaxxxx likes this.
  35. evilc

You and the other guy need to stop doing this in every damn thread. GOod lord - WE GET IT.

Every thread that even MENTIONS BMC - you have to bring up and bash GI. I am beginning to think you two are some sort of paid shills for some company. Do you think this is going to bring anyone to your "cause"? It won't - it just annoys the crap out of people. Everyone knows GI was bought out. People either care, or they don't.

36. Couldn't I just as easily say "We get it, you like ABInbev and GI and drink BCBS."

Isn't everyone's opinion welcome, or is it just those that agree with you? Additionally, unless your name is Todd or Jason, I am pretty sure you're not in a position to suggest what is and what is not OK in the forums.

Some people have different opinions than you. You may want to get used to it.

SammyJaxxxx likes this.
  37. evilc

No, you couldn't easily say that, because I am not in 500 threads saying the same thing as you are.

It isn't about opinions at this point - you are just spamming the boards with diatribes.

It isn't your opinion that is is the problem, it is you saying the same damn thing 50x a day, over and over, carbon copy.

SammyJaxxxx likes this.
  38. Dude, relax. Are you the police of the boards? If you don't want to read what I write, don't. I am not stealing this thread, or diverting it in any way, I am chiming in with some of my thoughts. My opinion on this matter is consistent, so when the topic comes up repeatedly, as it does, you're going to see me respond in a similar way. That doesn't make me a spammer. I wouldn't accuse someone of going on constant diatribes about Heady Topper when they talk about it's excellence in multiple threads.

If you want to participate in the conversation, by all means feel free, but if your contribution is simply going to be "we get it, stop talking" then I am afraid I am not going to be able to accommodate you.

Pick your fight somewhere else.

SammyJaxxxx likes this.
  39. steveh

If you stop and think right there, this is probably the most rational thought about it all.

I've been into good beer for a long time, probably longer than many here at BA. Even back at the dawn of the Micro AgeĀ® people who enjoyed better beer would say, "I know A-B is big and can probably make good beer, and if they dis I'd drink it." Me included. Well, they don't seem to want to make the sort of beer we all like, but they seem willing to pay others to do so. And the fact that Goose Island is pretty successful, and profitable, it's difficult for me to believe A-B would do anything stupid to shoot themselves in the foot.

Bottom line is, if it's well-made, why not support it rather than scoff at it.

LeRose likes this.