"BMC Done Right"

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by ledzeppelin4, Dec 13, 2012.

1. ledzeppelin4

ledzeppelin4 Savant (400) Illinois May 18, 2011

So I was watching Daniel Harper's (theendosymbiosis) review of Great Lakes Dortmunder Gold (great beertuber, great beer) and in that review he uses a phrase "BMC done right." Anyways, I was wondering, which beers do you consider to be "BMC done right"? New Belgium Shift comes to mind for me.

2. jmgrub

jmgrub Savant (465) California Nov 20, 2010

Full Sail Session Lager

3. BeerNFoodDood

BeerNFoodDood Savant (270) Colorado Jul 7, 2012 Verified

Bring on the hate...Coors Banquet

4. Does not compute.

5. Jason

Jason Founder (1,415) Massachusetts Aug 23, 1996 Staff Member Verified Subscriber

I think it is a really crappy phrase to use, completely discounts the "craft brewery" on what they are trying to accomplish unless that brewery is specifically brewing a beer within "BMC" style(s) or trying to emulate a specific brand.

6. yemenmocha

yemenmocha Poobah (1,245) Arizona Jun 18, 2002

Couldn't have said it better.

Imagine what "cheese' could exist if someone tried to copy Velveeta.

7. The first time I had a spotted cow I thought it tasted like BMC if BMC tasted good.

8. Every time I drink Hofbrau Original I think "this is what Budweiser would taste like, if Budweiser was delicious."

9. BeerNFoodDood

BeerNFoodDood Savant (270) Colorado Jul 7, 2012 Verified

I was just saying Coors Banquet is a BMC done right. Great Lakes beer is in no way BMC type beer so how can you throw any craft into the discussion.

5thOhio likes this.
  10. ChadQuest

ChadQuest Initiate (0) Illinois Mar 4, 2009

I hope it was only recognizing that they both use bottom fermenting yeast.....

if so, then yes.

11. Handle

Handle Savant (405) North Carolina Mar 16, 2009

Kraft beer?

12. elNopalero

elNopalero Advocate (685) Texas Oct 14, 2009

kemoarps likes this.
  13. lurchingbeast

lurchingbeast Initiate (0) Illinois Feb 19, 2009

Bourbon County Stout.

14. Greenplastic615

Greenplastic615 Advocate (540) Pennsylvania Nov 4, 2008 Verified

Yuengling Lager.

Is it the best beer on the planet? Absolutely not. Is it something that's brewed on a large scale, without sacrificing quality for cost-cutting and poor ingredients to produce an inexpensive, but accessible and tasty beer? Yep.

15. champ103

champ103 Champion (920) Texas Sep 3, 2007

Dortmunder Gold is not "BMC Done Right." It is a lager done right.

TongoRad, GregoryVII, FUNKPhD and 4 others like this.
  16. THANAT0PSIS

THANAT0PSIS Advocate (550) Wisconsin Aug 3, 2010 Verified

It isn't quite the same, but FFFs Jinx Proof is a great, GREAT lager.

creepinjeeper likes this.
  17. ledzeppelin4

ledzeppelin4 Savant (400) Illinois May 18, 2011

With all due respect, although the reviewer did use the phrase "BMC done right" it was not in direct reference to Dortmunder (My bad. Probably should've mentioned that in the original post.)

18. jesskidden

jesskidden Champion (825) New Jersey Aug 10, 2005 Subscriber

Yuengling Lager:
    • 6-row malt
    • corn grits
    • hop pellets
    • high gravity brewing
    • 14 day lagering period
    • force carbonation

All things some beer geeks might consider "poor" ingredients or "cost-cutting" brewing methods, and things for which the "BMC" beers are often criticized.

19. Brunite

Brunite Savant (430) Illinois Sep 21, 2009

As alluded to by a few posters, it depends on the intent of the phrase.

If we are talking about "BMC owned" beers "done right", I submit BCBS, Matilda, Sofie, Julliet, etc...

If we are talking about what most BMC beers are...AAL (or beers of that ilk)...done right, I submit NG Spotted Cow.

20. nc41

nc41 Champion (770) North Carolina Sep 25, 2008 Verified

I's say Shift as well, I'm not a New Belgium fan for the most part, but I thought Shift was pretty good, kinda reminded me of Dortmunder to a degree.

21. Absolutely, positively, Boulevard's Pilsener. It's an all-malt, premium American Pils style, I THINK based upon a long-defunct KC brewery's offering. Light, crisp, flavorful, and delicious.

acelin likes this.
  22. Greywulfken

Greywulfken Poobah (1,125) New York Aug 25, 2010 Verified Subscriber

BMC done right = BMC not done at all.

RobertColianni and Providence like this.
  23. John_M

John_M Moderator (1,155) Oregon Oct 25, 2003 Staff Member Verified

Sorry, but I'm with Jason on this. I "get" what Mr. Harper is trying to say, but dumbing down the message so his audience will "understand" his observation does everyone a disservice.

If I was a BMC drinker I would be insulted. If I was a craft beer drinker I would be insulted (and I am). And God knows that if I was the brewer at Great Lakes I would be insulted. Everyone else, I would assume, will just shrug and wonder what in the hell he's talking about.

24. mychalg9

mychalg9 Advocate (735) Illinois Apr 8, 2010

I also think Jason pretty much nailed it up above. I can't really add anything else.

25. If the guy was talking about wine, would he even think of saying "It's Boone's Farm done right"?

AnchorBaby, LordFoul and dcloeren like this.
  26. John_M

John_M Moderator (1,155) Oregon Oct 25, 2003 Staff Member Verified

Excellent, excellent analogy...

27. Brunite

Brunite Savant (430) Illinois Sep 21, 2009

I'll agree, and disagree.

Using BMC and GL in the same sentence is anathema.

However...as beer geeks...let us not forget that G. Heileman/Pabst Special Export is a beer that has been around for decades. It is looked at by many as falling under the BMC umbrella, despite not being BMC specifically.

That said; its classification as a Dortmunder /Export Lager (putting GLDG against SE) may be why the reviewer made reference to BMC done right, and why I might not find the phrase as oxymoronic as I'd be initially inclined to.

28. Porkhustle

Porkhustle Initiate (0) Dec 6, 2012

Narragansett Lager is a great example of an adjunct lager, and shows that with a little care the style had some merit/purpose.

I'll agree with Jason though, it was a bad turn of phrase

29. I was at a tasting a little while back and a rep from Bershire was there. I tried the pale ale and he said "This is what Bud Light wishes it were". That struck me as odd in the same way this statement does.

30. shawnohall

shawnohall Savant (340) Texas Nov 8, 2009

I'm already confused. Doesn't BMC refer to BudMillerCoors, implying a brew from the mega breweries? I never thought Great Lakes was in any way affiliated with the "Big 3" ("Big 4" if you count Pabst). So, in this case, I don't get the use of that term.

31. I disagree. I see where you're coming from, but I think the term "BMC Done Right" is a very appropriate statement in certain instances. The instance I am thinking of is that of someone new to craft beer, or someone wanting to get into "better beer." For those people, the term BMC done right resonates with them. It tells them, "this is better than the stuff you are trying to get away from" and "this is a familiar taste, but better."

Many times with family members that have asked me about craft beer I have handed them a Brooklyn Lager and said, "This is what Miller wishes it was." Of course I know that is not true. Miller is exactly what it wants to be, they have tons of support and are extremely successful. If they up and switched their recuipe to be like Brooklyn Lager their profits would fall. Nevertheless, to that family member/friend, the person on the fringe of the craft beer scene, with that glimmer of hope that things can be better, the statement works. So "BMC Done Right" may not strike a nerve with us, the nerdiest of the nerds, but would it have struck a nerve with you when you were sick of Bud Light and wanted something more? I think it would have.

ledzeppelin4 likes this.
  32. jesskidden

jesskidden Champion (825) New Jersey Aug 10, 2005 Subscriber

It's actually one of a number of terms used by beer geeks that seems to have a "flexible" definition and means.....well, whatever the poster wants it to mean. (See also "macro" "microbrewery" "craft beer" "quality", etc).

Some use it for what you've written, others might mean only the flagship brands (Budweiser, Bud Light, Miller High Life/Genuine Draft, Lite, Coors Banquet, Coors Light), some expand it to mean any beer brewed by those company AND their parent companies, as well (ABInBev, SABMiller and MolsonCoors) and still others use it to mean ANY beer of the predominant US "American adjunct light lager/light beer" style, regardless of actual brewer or owner.

Well, in the US, it's now really just the Big Two - SABMiller and MolsonCoors having merged their US subsidiaries into the joint venture - MillerCoors.

Pabst is a "virtual brewer" (actually their term!) with no brewery of their own, most of their beers brewed at MC facilities, and having fallen under 6m bbl/yr, the company now actually meets the Brewers Association's definition of a "small brewer".

33. CellarGimp

CellarGimp Savant (475) Missouri Sep 14, 2011

Pilsner Urquell, Leffe, Hoegarden, Spaten, etc is BMC done right. All will do in a pinch.

34. dcloeren

dcloeren Savant (470) Texas Sep 15, 2010

The first (and last) time I had spotted cow I poured it out because it tasted like BMC...

VonZipper likes this.
  35. Haha. It does but I'd drink it if it were available here and cheap because it was nice and smooth and didn't have the offensive after tastes most BMC's have.

dcloeren likes this.
  36. Flyway

Flyway Zealot (95) Wisconsin Oct 22, 2012

What a joke this is. It's so interesting how people's opinions differ...
    Most people I know (not at all BA's) would say 95% of the craft beer we enjoy have "offensive after tastes." BMC, whether you think it's right or wrong, is done VERY RIGHT. Can we all get to an understanding that this is not a site for BMC discussion?

BMC is done right... when I need to shotgun a beer around a northwoods campfire!

37. Had the same reaction with Weihenstephaner Original. I was like, "Wait... This is the beer most American lagers are based off of? Where the fuck did we go wrong?"

Though I guess it's the same thing with hot dogs... cheap knock-offs of German sausages.

38. misterid

misterid Savant (270) Wisconsin Apr 3, 2009

prepare for a whole lot of missing the point

wait, too late

ledzeppelin4 likes this.
  39. endovelico

endovelico Savant (345) Portugal Jul 25, 2008

Since the purpose of BMC type beers is to cut the cost while delivering something drinkable for the masses, i'd say BMC is "BMC done right". I'm not saying there aren't other lagers out there with cost-cutting methods that aren't good, but i doubt theres many breweries as efficient as B/M/C.

Flyway likes this.
  40. I do agree that BMC is done right in the aspect that they hit their intended flavor spot on when brewing. I should have said it tastes like BMC done right in regard to my particular tastes. The site is called Beer Advocate and last time I checked BMC was still beer.

BeerNFoodDood likes this.