1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

boil kettle screen clogging

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by tngolfer, Dec 18, 2012.

1. tngolfer

tngolfer Aficionado (200) Tennessee Feb 16, 2012

I have a bazooka screen on my boil kettle that gets clogged from hop matter settling on it. Are there any good ways to keep it from clogging other than using a hop bag?

Similarly, is there a good way to clean hops and other break material from a bazooka screen?

2. no...use a bag...you'll be glad you did.

MMAJYK likes this.
  3. primrose54

primrose54 Savant (310) Ohio Apr 7, 2009

Hop bags work great for me. You can make/buy nylon bags that are reusable.

4. cracker

cracker Savant (395) Pennsylvania May 2, 2004

Mine does not clog when I use whole hops. In fact by using whole hops it creates a nice filter bed trapping all the cold break so that when transfering the cooled wort to the fermenter it is as clear as can be. Pellet hops will definitely clog a bazooka screen so a hop bag is needed.

5. I learned this lesson 2 brews ago. Only had 2oz of pellets in the boil kettle and still clogged it up. Hop bags for the win.

That reminds me, time to build a hop spider.

6. I recently built a hop spider and I am glad I did. It was pretty easy to do, and there was a lot less hop material in the wort.

7. WickedSluggy

WickedSluggy Savant (425) Texas Nov 21, 2008

Yes, Basically you're clearing a blinded filter. When it clogs you have to backflush (temporarily reversing the flow.)

8. tngolfer

tngolfer Aficionado (200) Tennessee Feb 16, 2012

Hop bag it is. Thanks everyone.