1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Bomber vs. 750ml+ (proper volume designations)

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Knifestyles, Oct 5, 2012.

?

What is the volume of a "bomber"?

1. 22oz

87.5%
  2. 750ml

2.7%
  3. Anything larger than 12oz

1.8%
  4. Can be used interchangeably between all "larger" volumes (i.e. not 12oz)

7.9%
  1. MordorMongo

MordorMongo Initiate (0) Jul 19, 2009

I wish 750ml would go away and die. We all know it is 75cl, duh. Hence I call them 75s. Amateurs.

mjohnson17, RyanMM, Rempo and 3 others like this.
  2. brewbetter

brewbetter Savant (400) Nauru Jun 2, 2012

Anytime I see 75cl, I'm like wtf? All the labels I see use ml and I'm used to ml from science.

3. ledzeppelin4

ledzeppelin4 Savant (365) Illinois May 18, 2011

I voted for 22oz as being bombers, but I also call the 16oz bottles (I think they're that size) bottles that German and English beers come in as bombers.

4. DonDirkA

DonDirkA Savant (400) Arizona Dec 14, 2011

Exactly.

I used to call 750's bombers but that was in my early craft days and I didn't really know the difference between a 22 and a 750

SatlyMalty likes this.
  5. Ah, geez, sorry there, whippersnapper, that you found it necessary to go off-topic and insult me over my terminology. :eek:

I don’t know how widespread it was but I’ve been using that expression since I became one back in the ‘60’s (aka “when a nickel bag still cost 5 bucks"). Yeah, kinda an “ironic” usage (making us proto-hipsters, too, I guess?) but among my group of ‘smokers, it seemed the only people who called it “pot” were the "straight” * people.

“Pot” was the slang term noted in the Reader's Digest scare articles, used in the anti-drug films (they were “talkies”, too, I guess) they showed us in Health Class on the winter days when the Girls gym classes had use of the gym ---- and by the pigs, er...cops. I don’t recall exactly (too high at the time to remember?), but maybe even by Sgt. Joe Friday himself on Dragnet.

Yeah, and I still say I “dial” phone numbers and I’ll never call something I like “sick”. Oh, well…;)
    * "straight", of course, another term that means
    something different today than it did at that time

beertunes, franklinn, libbey and 3 others like this.

6. whippersnapper actually made me laugh loud enough that my wife gave me a look. also, wasnt insulting you, i was jesskiddin. its just strange to me because for my generation, dope= heroin.

i think everyone still says dial numbers. humans/language are weird.

I SAID GOOD DAY,SIR!

7. jaIsPoAn

jaIsPoAn Savant (375) New York Aug 1, 2012

People like you I don't want to trade with Mister know it all

8. MagillaGriller

MagillaGriller Savant (315) Aug 20, 2012

650's

9. MagillaGriller

MagillaGriller Savant (315) Aug 20, 2012

LMAO. Whippersnapper! That's nifty. Spiffy even.

10. brewbetter

After re-reading this thread and how divisive it is, I have to say that this sort of particularity over terminology is what really defines a beer snob, not whether or not they refuse to drink some junky lager.

My official response has become, "Who cares?" And I'm more motivated to refer to everything above 12 as a bomber to see if it pisses people off in real life. This is similar to how I mispronounce stuff just to see how/if people correct me.

harrymel and Homebrew42 like this.
  11. Knifestyles

Knifestyles Savant (455) New York Jun 7, 2005

Well if that's not passive/aggressive....

12. It's actually closer to 651ml ;-)

TheBishopco likes this.
  13. brewbetter

I don't see how it's aggressive? It's not like I lash out at people when they try to correct me, it's just my personal little social study.

14. JrGtr

JrGtr Savant (365) Massachusetts Apr 13, 2006

I also use the term for Sierra Nevada's 24 oz bottles. 750s are 750s, except that when I am talking about the lager format in a general way, I will say 'bomber'. Exception is I'm referring to a brewery's offerings, like "those Unibrou 750s" not "unibrou bombers"

MagillaGriller likes this.
  15. Most "bombers" or 22oz bottles are also marked with 650mL on the labels. I just didn't have access to the smilies on my phone. ;)

16. When I started buying bombers I called them 40s. I didn't know they were called bombers.

jedwards and Knifestyles like this.
  17. jedwards

jedwards Savant (330) California Feb 3, 2009

Is this also like when you mispronounce stuff just to see how/if people correct you?

franklinn likes this.
  18. Hanzo

Hanzo Champion (955) Virginia Feb 27, 2012

This is the correct answer.

19. IceAce

IceAce Advocate (560) California Jan 8, 2004

[​IMG]

"READY!"

"FIRE!"

Oh yeah..."AIM!"

(As far as the date...probably much closer to your birthday than Mr. Kiddin's)

20. WankelEngine

WankelEngine Savant (345) Illinois Mar 28, 2011

And it looks deceptively like a full 750! I know half a dozen people who bought the BA Old Rasputin and only got 2/3 what they expected.

21. Well, thanks for that (it'll be a good one as long as my Arthur Itis doesn't start acting up --- makes it particularly hard to use a bottle opener, you know). Same to you, of course. ;)

I think, ultimately,I like "dopesmoker" because of the alliteration of it.

Why DO you think they call it "dope"? (Shakespeare, I think? Or was it Aristotle?)

Yes, well after that there's nothing else for me to do but just 23 Skidoo outta this thread...
    Somebody hand me down my walkin' cane.​

beertunes and MagillaGriller like this.
  22. JrGtr

JrGtr Savant (365) Massachusetts Apr 13, 2006

Really? I thought it was snazzy.

23. 650ml is 22oz. Bomber.

Silly yanks and your imperial systems...

24. SaCkErZ9

SaCkErZ9 Champion (825) Florida Feb 27, 2005

So what is a tall boy?

25. According to Schlitz, which originated the package - and one assumes the term, as well - it was originally 24 ounces (sometimes alternately listed on their tallboy cans as "3/4 quart").

[​IMG]

26. ThickNStout

ThickNStout Savant (495) Georgia Mar 8, 2011

Although now Oskar Blues has "sipping on a tall boy" on thier 16oz cans of Deviant Dales...

27. FosterJM

FosterJM Champion (825) California Nov 16, 2009

Is that the Harvest bottles?

Cheers!

28. Yeah, and Pabst also prints "Tall Boy" on their current 16 oz. cans of Schlitz "Gusto" '60's formula.
    [​IMG]
    And Sixpoint has even referred to their 12 oz. slimline cans as "Tall Boys" - because they're 1.25" taller than a standard 12 oz'er.

[​IMG]

I ask you, "Is NOTHING sacred?"​

29. drgarage

drgarage Initiate (0) California Aug 19, 2008

Yes, well, Sixpoint and I would have lots to discuss about their product if given the chance. The terminology is the least of it.

30. Why is beer packaged in standard 12 oz bottles but the common serving is a pint or a litre?

Are 24 oz cans considered bombers?

What are 40 oz bottles called?

31. CMUbrew

CMUbrew Savant (425) Michigan Jan 27, 2012

No, they are tallboys
    40s

32. YaKnowBrady

YaKnowBrady Initiate (0) New Jersey Jul 23, 2010

Remind me to keep you on my "no-fly" list.

bryanole27 likes this.
  33. What if I was a bombardier?

34. Aren't 24oz (710mL) cans called King Cans? Or does that refer to 950mL (32oz) cans?

35. And what do you call a 64oz bottle?

[​IMG]

36. fmccormi

fmccormi Champion (760) New York Oct 24, 2010

This is part of why I always note exactly what the container type is when I write reviews: 250ml ≠ 11.2oz ≠ 355ml ≠ 16oz ≠ 500ml ≠ 22oz ≠ 750ml, etc.

37. Up here in Canada, a tallboy can refer to either a 500mL can, or a 473mL (16 us oz.) can.