1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Bombers should only be 8% ABV +

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Frankinstiener, Jan 13, 2013.

1. I'm really tired of beers that I kind of like being in Bombers only for $7.00 +. I have no problem buying a bomber from time to time if it's something imperial, something Belgian, something limited, or just something really good. What really makes me mad is when something that I like, not love, that I wouldn't mind sipping a 6 pack of, is only available in an overpriced bomber. Rogue is major culprit, to the point where I've almost written them off. A lot of their stuff I have liked but not really been crazy about, if it was available in a 6 pack for basically $9.99 or less I would purchase it from time to time. They have some above average beers that are just completely overpriced. I had their Hazelnut Brown on draft, probably my favorite beer that I've tried from them. I got a pint at the bar for $5.00 (pretty normal price), went to the store and picked up a bomber for $6.99. So basically this beer is the same price per once at the bar as it is at the grocery store. Although I bought this one it's just not worth the price, along with their Chipotle ale, & Juniper ale, these are all beers I like, and would like in a 6pack for $9.99 but will just drink them on draft only. Same price in the bar as at the grocery store? LAME

In conclusion I made a new rule for myself, only buy bombers if they are 8+ ABV or $5.00 or cheaper. Hop Stoopid is both- haha

audioserf, malfunxion and pudoo like this.
  2. Your title mentions abv but your post complains about price. Learn to drink like a man and stop being so cheap.

3. raffels

raffels Savant (265) West Virginia Dec 12, 2009

ProTip: Rouge is priced out the wazoo.

4. If being manly means paying more than - NO! I don't want to. I want to only drink beers that are worth their price.

Lare453 likes this.
  5. I hope you make more sense when you are sober. Story is cool bro...

6. I hope your reading comprehension is better when your sober.

checktherhyme, mellowmark and raffels like this.
  7. If you don't like it, don't buy it. I rarely buy bombers. I miss out on a few beers. It happens.

devilben02 likes this.
  8. Put on your BA pants and stop complaining.

#1) You're okay with spending $5 on draft Hazelnut Brown, but you won't fork over $6.99 for a bomber (even though you say it's a pretty normal price)?

#2) There are only, like, a million beers available in reasonably priced 6-packs. Open two, put one in each fist, and you've got your bomber.

#3) Hop Stoopid is definitely not cheaper than $5 where I live.

#4) I forgot, but stop complaining. Seriously.

9. TheodorHerzl

TheodorHerzl Savant (490) Indiana Mar 30, 2007

You should come to Indiana. I don't believe I've ever seen a 7$ bomber. We have 11.99 four packs of cream ale in cans though.

10. 1. rogue hazelnut brown comes in 6 packs, my store has them for $13.99 and weve got single 12oz bottles of HNB for $2.50.
    2. anyone paying over $5 a bottle for hop stoopid should punch their retailer in the face. its $3.99 here in nc

beerloserLI, Lantern and mikeburd1128 like this.
  11. Hop Stoopid price check: $4.19 - $4.69 a bomber in Omaha, NE.

Lantern, Casedogg43 and OneBeertoRTA like this.
  12. #1) Yes, this is exactly my point. This beer and the others I am complaining about should come in 6 packs for $7.99 to $10.99 at the grocery store. Beers in this price range at the grocery store are usually $4 - $7 a pint at the bar, this is pretty normal pricing. Bars have to charge much more than grocery stores for obvious reasons. If a bar and grocery store are selling a beer for the same price per once the beer is either completely overpriced at the grocery store or dirt cheap at the bar. In this case it's completely over priced at the grocery store due to being sold in a $7.00 bomber.

2) Good point, this is what I plan on doing - buying reasonable priced 6 packs and not $7.00 bombers.

pudoo likes this.
  13. If I really want a beer that only comes in a bomber... I suck it up and buy it. Why? Cuz if I can't bring myself to shell out the money then I must not really want it.... 8+ ABV or not.

14. Right around $4.50 here in Illinois.

OneBeertoRTA likes this.
  15. Hockey_Fan

Hockey_Fan Advocate (520) Maryland Jan 13, 2013

ABV is not an indication of how good a beer is or what it's worth.

16. kmello69

kmello69 Advocate (525) Texas Nov 27, 2011

$7 bombers?! Holy shit. Everything that comes out in bombers here in TX is in the $12-15 dollar range, if not more. I'd kill someone for $7 bombers.

17. Someone needs a He'Brew Jewbelation Sweet 16...stupid cheap & delicious for 16%abv

SeaOfShells and DelMontiac like this.
  18. I agree Bombers are not always the best cost per amount of beer. But its a free world {Sort of} So Buy or dont buy Its your choice .. I buy some Bombers and some sixers

19. MarcatGSB

MarcatGSB Initiate (0) Michigan Jan 8, 2011

Post at will. Respect.

MaineMike likes this.
  20. stealth

stealth Advocate (580) Minnesota Dec 16, 2011

Well we know one thing for certain, this man does not like sours.

21. I personally like to taste ALOT of different styles/brands, and if it has to be in a overpriced bomber than so be it...

In a perfect world we would be able to go to the store and try it before we buy it, unfortunately that's not the case.

22. amp138

amp138 Savant (295) Rhode Island Dec 21, 2011

For the most part I only buy beers in bombers/750ml.

tgchief likes this.
  23. Red wazoos. What?

jesskidden likes this.
  24. bobhits

bobhits Savant (465) Kentucky Oct 31, 2006

Lets just make all beer free and sell it all in 5 oz servings!

jhartley and YogiBeer like this.
  25. macster

macster Savant (330) Florida Dec 16, 2003

Agree! I've crossed Rogue off my list. OK beers for the most part, but unreasonably priced. Poor value.

26. YogiBeer

YogiBeer Savant (485) Illinois May 10, 2012

I DISLIKE THINGS AND EVERYTHING IS OVERRATED

27. Casedogg43

Casedogg43 Savant (490) Indiana Jan 4, 2012

I'm thinking you should buy six packs and avoid the bomber shelf.
    Just ignore all of those $9-$10 bomber seasonals that are frick'n terrific, and leave them for others!
    Cheers

28. Rogue does bottle a lot in bombers only, I can agree with that. However if you want to try a beer, TRY IT! No matter what vessel it is in. I would prefer to have everything in 12 oz bottles and sold in 4 or 6 packs myself.

JxExM likes this.
  29. A lot of people are making good points above, especially the fact that higher abv doesn't equal quality, and that if you don't like a brewery's offerings, simply don't buy them. However, I can say that I understand (I think) some of the OP's frustration. I'm in central MO, and trying to take advantage of all of the new (as well as relatively new and well-established) breweries available locally (especially from St. Louis). However, one in particular ONLY sells their regular-strength (beers like wheat, pale ale, porter, etc) beers in bombers. That's it; no sixers, no 4-pks, etc. And they're around $5-6 bucks a pop. What's frustrating is that I'd love to support those breweries, and might pay 8-10 for a sixer once in awhile, but for straightforward brews (not high-gravity, not ridiculously hoppy, or have obvious reasons why cost of production would be higher) 6 bucks for just under two beers does seem like a lot from the grocery store, esp. with all the other offerings out there. You can say 'well don't buy 'em, man', and you'd be correct (I don't, typically, because I can't afford that very often) but maybe the OP's wondering WHY some breweries choose to go this route, rather than putting out 4-pks (esp. for smaller breweries) or 6-pks. I'd like to know as well.

30. anglagard1

anglagard1 Savant (265) Wisconsin Nov 17, 2010

You're catching a lot of flack, but I can relate. I don't like spending $11 bucks on a beer I've never had before only to find out I don't like it. A bomber is more of a commitment. If I don't like a beer from a six pack, I can move on to something else. I'd rather spend $6 for a 12oz. Fortunately, I know of a beer store that allows me to buy one beer from a 6-er, which is a nice, although still not cheap, way of sampling beer.

31. PSUDREW

PSUDREW Savant (445) Pennsylvania Jun 14, 2002

$5.99 in PA

32. mychalg9

mychalg9 Advocate (710) Illinois Apr 8, 2010

Bomber or not, I don't really buy any beer that I feel is overpriced.

szmnnl99 likes this.
  33. I don't mind bombers being under 8%, but I do mind the prices of bombers in general.

szmnnl99 likes this.
  34. BarryMFBurton

BarryMFBurton Savant (435) Indiana Mar 28, 2011

Incorrect.

35. I'm still confused on why the OP even mentions ABV.

Flat simple truth is don't buy beer you don't see the value of.

EyePeeAyBryan likes this.
  36. i got a growler worth of dead guy for like 12 bucks the fall before last. I think i have seen dead guy in six packs here as well. short of the chocolate double stout, dead guy is the only rogue brew i would bother buying in the store.

37. C2H5

C2H5 Savant (435) Illinois Jan 7, 2012

dude, 40oz of camo ice is like 3 bucks! 9% yo!

38. I knew exactly what he was getting at though when I saw the title. Dogfish immediately sprang to mind. $8+ for a bottle of Namaste which is only 5%? What a rip.

39. Yo bro, Natty Daddy is marketed 4 u

40. gtermi

gtermi Champion (750) Texas Apr 21, 2010

That's exactly what I was thinking.