1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Bombers should only be 8% ABV +

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Frankinstiener, Jan 13, 2013.

1. benidy

benidy Aficionado (130) Missouri May 4, 2008

Huh? Where the do you live in Indiana? Not a single 3Fs is less than $8 a bomber, not to mention Great Divide, Stone, Rogue, New Albanian, etc etc.
  2. i've written rogue off for so many reasons...
    audioserf likes this.
  3. TheodorHerzl

TheodorHerzl Savant (490) Indiana Mar 30, 2007

I was being sarcastic. I've never seen a $7 dollar bomber because our beer prices here are out of line with the states that touch us. Our beer prices here are terrible.
  4. DelMontiac

DelMontiac Advocate (620) Oklahoma Oct 22, 2010

Everything's getting more expensive. Get used to it.
  5. xnicknj

xnicknj Advocate (730) Pennsylvania May 25, 2009

only on a beer-centric website will people complain about beers being "too strong" for them. get a bottle saver/wine stopper and only drink half the bomber if it's really such an arduous task to finish it over the course of an evening.
  6. You want to come here then if you think prices are terrible.In a pub you pay $1.50 a pint in tax before you touch the beer! Bottled beer in a supermarket is a bit more reasonable but then it's nothing like as good and you get what you pay for.Or perhaps the government gets what you pay for............
  7. drtth

drtth Champion (830) Pennsylvania Nov 25, 2007

From his tone I doubt the OP is wondering that, but I can propose an answer for you to consider--the market place.

We have two or three breweries in SEPA who never used to use the 22 oz size because they have to incur extra labor changing over the bottling line twice and having more people to pack bottles in cases, etc. However, in recent years these breweries have starting putting out some of their beers in both size bottles because the out-of-state distributors, retailers and customers clamor for the bombers. (I say out-of-state since in PA we have a case law and most beer stores sell by the case only. This suppresses impulse buying and the economics of bombers are also quite clear to the customer. I can buy a 24 bottle case of 12 oz bottles for less than I pay for a 12 bottle case of 22 oz bottles and get more beer.) But the breweries, being happy to sell their beer with a higher profit margin, are willing to incur the extra costs because it satisfies popular demand and creates better cash flow.
  8. ThirstyFace

ThirstyFace Initiate (0) New York Jan 11, 2013

Awesome
  9. Hop Stoopid is $6.99+ in the Boston area, and because of that, rarely fresh. Just shameful.
  10. Not really sure I understand the ABV correlation.

I would think most people don't mind paying $8-$10 for HF Saisons in the 6-7% ABV range. I think you said it in your original post "beers you kind of like" sounds like you don't want to pay allot for mediocre beer.

That we all can understand.:rolleyes:
  11. maltmaster420

maltmaster420 Savant (440) Oregon Aug 17, 2005

If it weren't for bombers there would be about 200-250 fewer beers on the shelves out here in the PNW. There are a couple of companies with mobile bottling lines that only accomodate 22oz bottles, and if it weren't for their service we wouldn't have bottles from Gigantic, Laurelwood, Heater Allen, Oakshire, Lompoc, and dozens of others.

If my options are spending $4.79 for a bomber of Workhorse IPA or being forced to seek it out on tap, I'll take the bomber almost every time.
    chimneyjim and draheim like this.
  12. london1o1

london1o1 Savant (315) New York Feb 14, 2003

Where do they get off charging more than $7 for a 750 of Lou Pepe Gueuze? That shit's only 5% ABV!
    dbossman, Zach136 and chalupa_batman like this.
  13. If you have a Total Wine near you, they typically carry 6 packs of Rogue for $9.99. Not a bad price at all, and they usually have just about all of the different beers Rogue makes.
  14. Does the fact that it's a 5% beer make it taste any worse? I still don't see how that has anything to do with anything. There is more to craft beer than ABV. You guys need to grow up.
  15. acelin

acelin Savant (300) Kansas Feb 14, 2009

You're*
  16. Ricelikesbeer

Ricelikesbeer Savant (350) Colorado Nov 29, 2006

Thank you I'm glad someone said that. Many of the very best and most expensive beers in the world are under 8%. If you are merely looking for something with a lot of alcohol in it drink vodka.
  17. Ricelikesbeer

Ricelikesbeer Savant (350) Colorado Nov 29, 2006

A couple of people hit the nail on the head here: abv does not indicate how good something is, or how it should be priced. In fact, it's this type of thinking that has led to "super saisons" and abv's that keep getting bigger and bigger for each style. A 5% beer can cost a brewery every bit as much as a 10% beer to make as well.
  18. For some, it's about the journey. For others...
  19. EyePeeAyBryan

EyePeeAyBryan Savant (470) Arizona Dec 20, 2011

+1

I could have sworn Total Wine screwed up on this price tag. Wanted to fill up a cart and then found out this really was the right price.
    fujindemon74 likes this.
  20. Look, I don't drink beer just to get drunk, but alcohol percentage is a factor when I make a purchase. In general, when a beer has a higher alcohol percentage, the price goes up because more fermentables are needed and is therefore more expensive to produce. But when you take an average witbier, put it in a 25.4 oz bottle and slap an $8 or higher price tag on it, it makes me scratch my head and wonder why I shouldn't just pay $8.99 for a sixer of White Rascal or $9.99 for a 4-pack of Allagash White when both are better than Namaste IMO. It just seems like customer-gouging to me.
    fujindemon74 likes this.
  21. alexipa

alexipa Savant (410) Colorado Oct 7, 2011

Alaskan Amber for $2.99 a bomber. Please don't tell them to stop this...
  22. I know you're being sarcastic, but beer that needs to travel over an entire ocean is naturally going to cost more and doesn't apply to this argument. Also, this guy makes a good point:
  23. draheim

draheim Poobah (1,015) Washington Sep 18, 2010

You should come to Seattle. I don't believe I've ever seen a $100,000 house.
    Like almost everything, prices for beer are influenced by geography.
  24. chalupa_batman

chalupa_batman Aficionado (120) Nov 18, 2012

Brew your own beer. Then you can bottle it how ever you'd like
    MrGreengenes2 likes this.
  25. Buy ceramic Rogue bombers and reuse them for growler fills. Instant dividends.
  26. Looks like there will be a whole lot of great beers that you won't be drinking my friend!!
  27. I pay $6.99 for Lavery Brewing Liopard Oir. It is only 4.5% ABV farmhouse ale, and worth every penny.
  28. TheodorHerzl

TheodorHerzl Savant (490) Indiana Mar 30, 2007

I was kidding. I've never seen a 7 dollar bomber here because they are all 9 or higher.
  29. draheim

draheim Poobah (1,015) Washington Sep 18, 2010

Oh. Then you really should come to Seattle. We have plenty of great beers for less than $7/bomber.
    They have to keep us nice and buzzed so we don't gripe too much about the cost of everything else.
    fujindemon74 likes this.
  30. If %abv isn't some sort of consideration for you in addition to higher unit cost normally found in larger bottle formats, then you're a better man than I.

I agree with OP for the most part.
    And %abv is absolutely a consideration (not the end all be all though) for me when I'm paying a premium unit cost.
    I'm perfectly happy having one 8+ %abv bomber/750mL in an evening.
    I hardly ever "session" anyway.
  31. denver10

denver10 Champion (865) Kentucky Nov 17, 2010

Bombers should just be much, much cheaper.
  32. Wildeman

Wildeman Zealot (85) Michigan Dec 19, 2012

ABV shouldn't have anything to do with it; it's all about quality. A good beer is a good beer not taking away from the final product, if it's worth the money, enjoy it. If it's not worth the money, drink swill. i'm drinking a Morimoto Soba Ale which cost $8 and is only 4.8%. A damn decent beer, but 1 and done then moving on to the next one.
  33. So many of the replies have been about quality not being related to ABV, which is true. However, in general PRICE and ABV are very related. Most companies charge more for their imperial stout then their regular stout, and more for their DIPA than their IIPA. But that wasn't the point of my post, my point was that I am sick of breweries overcharging for bombers of above average - not great beers, rather than putting them in six packs for a reasonable price. In my opinion brewers mark up their bomber much more than their six packs.

Like I said, Rogue is the main culprit. Lets look at their Dead Guy Ale for example since it's their most popular beer and comes in both 6 packs and bombers. A six pack around here is 10.99 which comes to $1.84 a bottle. If we were going only by price per ounce, in this format, 22 oz. cost's $3.73. Rogue Dead guy bombers at the same store (and most others) cost $6.99 which is an 87% mark up. When your buying a six pack you are buying more volume so I will give them the benefit of the doubt and say that if you were buying a single 12oz bottle they would charge $2.99. Even at this price it still takes a 27% mark up to to get to the bomber price!!! This is why I was upset that some of the Rogue beers I like are only available in the over priced bomber.
  34. fox227

fox227 Advocate (555) California Nov 19, 2010

What about those Belgian Ales' price points? Oh well; sometimes you get what you pay for.
  35. What about them?
  36. I generally don't buy bombers because I don't dig the serving size. Most evenings I just want "a" beer, so a 12oz bottle is plenty. I don't always have someone to split a big beer wtih. If given the choice of a bomber or a mix-six, I'm doing the six every time. Obviously there are exceptions; Stone IRS and BP Victory at Sea, among others. However, I've never met a bomber-only beer that I didn't wish came in four or six-packs.
  37. semibaked

semibaked Advocate (610) Kentucky Mar 27, 2007

Actually I think bombers should be 0% and wiped off the face of the planet, death to bombers!
    jbck109 likes this.
  38. fox227

fox227 Advocate (555) California Nov 19, 2010

Meaning that the initial post complained about price point for bombers. Well, I have to pay over 5$ for 11 ounces of many high quality Belgian beers. Simple, if the price is too high for you, buy something else.
  39. jbck109

jbck109 Savant (295) Michigan May 30, 2010

I would like to see more 8%+ abv beers in six or four packs. It is just too much to finish a bomber of parabola, abyss, eclipse, ect. by myself, I hate wasting delicious beer! I think we should just get rid of bombers all together, 12ozers of everything! Bombers are just a marketing ploy to get more money per oz of product.
  40. Wow, harsh reply man. For reason number 2, one third of a reasonably priced sixpack is $3.33, meaning that a bomber at $6.99 is a lot more, especially since the beer is a year round beer that sits on shelves. Quit bitching at other peoples opinions when you back them up with dumb ass reasons like these.
    fujindemon74 likes this.