Bombers versus 12-ouncers

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Somebody_Else, Feb 26, 2013.

1. Is there something intrinsically better about beer sold in 22oz bombers compared to your standard 12oz bottle?

If you do a simple cost/oz comparison, the bombers are always more expensive.

Why is it more expensive? Is it worth it? Why is it worth it.

2. Northlax3

Northlax3 Savant (285) New Jersey Aug 19, 2012

Sometimes I only want to try a beer if I've never had it before, and Id rather try/buy a ~$6 22oz buy, over a ~$15 72 oz but

Also 22oz servings are perfect for my consumption habits. I almost never have more than 2 (12 oz servings) a night.

That's why people pay premiums for bombers. i never understood why some BAs were so confused by how well big bottles sell.

3. GFG

GFG Savant (295) North Dakota Oct 24, 2012

This about sums it up

4. icetrauma

icetrauma Savant (495) Texas Sep 7, 2004

What they said. Plus, it also lets me buy mulitple styles at a time. Instead of buying 1 $15 6pk or 4pk for that matter of an IPA, just an example, I can get a bomber of an IPA and stout for not much more.

5. atomic

atomic Savant (455) Illinois Sep 22, 2009

Im very fortunate to have a bottle shop that will let me divide up 4 or 6packs and create my own. So whenever theres an option, I'll buy a smaller bottle. Its usually much cheaper per oz.

Even when I don't have that option, I like to buy packs as opposed to bombers. Even if I don't love the beer, I can keep the extras in my fridge for guests.

6. n2185

n2185 Advocate (640) North Carolina Apr 14, 2008

Bombers are cheaper for small breweries since they don't require custom holders. Plus if breweries still hand-bottle, it means far fewer bottles to fill (and fewer labels to purchase).

Still, I'd much rather all beer came in 4 or 6-packs because it's easy enough to find stores that will let you buy single bottles. It's much more price efficient to buy a 12oz bottle than a bomber, and if you know you like the beer, it's also a better deal to buy it in a 4- or 6-pack. People complain a lot about the price of Hopslam at $17 per sixer, but that's equivalent of a ~%5 bomber. Most bombers of DIPAs usually clock it at nearly twice that, and very, very few can match the quality. I could get an entire case of KBS for the same price as ~8 bombers of Event Horizon or Abyss or the like.

I understand why breweries go with bombers, but I really dislike the trend of throwing >10% beers in bombers/750s. A bomber of a nice pilsner or dunkel lager poured into my ~22oz Ayinger weizen glass is a beautiful thing, but a bomber of a barrel-aged imperial stout becomes a chore that takes a few hours if I don't split it with others. Not only are large amounts of high abv a problem with bombers/750s, but with beers that big your palate is usually completely numbed to the beer toward the finish unless you take a long break to eat/drink other things. Beers like Creme Brulee and Imperial Biscotti Break I really enjoyed at first, but was sick of toward the end of the bottles because they were like trying to eat a pint of Ben & Jerry's in one sitting.

7. I've always considered eating a pint of Ben & Jerry a skill, not a test of endurance.

8. CORKSCREWFISH

CORKSCREWFISH Savant (325) Illinois Apr 22, 2011

I see a few flaws with your argument:

1.)You compare your hypothetical bomber to a hypothetical 6 pack.However,a great many beers today are in 4 pack format(48oz). This seems to be more and more prevalent in today's market.
    2.)The 6pack in your example is $15?What percentage of 6packs are priced so high?I'd say the vast minority for sure and certainly,the majority of 4 packs are probably closer to $10.
    3.)The bomber in your example is $6?Again,and conversely;what percentage of the bombers in today's market are priced so low?The vast minority!Most I'd say are closer to $10.

So as you can see,you've basically taken the extremes of the spectrum,which provide the largest gap, to make your argument seem valid.

My question logically would then be:Why buy a typical bomber(22oz)@$10 instead of a typical 4pack(48oz.)@$10?
    I think this is the more realistic comparison and the gist of the OP!

Cheers!

9. LMT

LMT Savant (340) Virginia Oct 15, 2009

I rarely drink more than one beer per night (except on the weekends), so I almost never buy bombers/750 mls.

Unfortunately, I see the trend in the craft industry is moving toward larger bottles (in order to save on production costs). If brewers want to increase profits a bit, I wish they would move toward the 4-pack (and charge a little more per oz compared to a 6 pack) instead of moving toward bombers. Or, how about 11.2 oz 6-packs?

I'd pay a little more for a 4 pack simply because I'd actually drink it. Even if a bomber is relatively inexpensive I just won't buy it because I'd end up drinking more than I really want to.

10. A 6$ bomber works out to about 20$ a six pack. ($ per Oz)
    How many 20$ six packs are out there?
    A 6$ bomber likely is sold as a 12$ 6er so why not just buy 2 singles if that's your ideal amount of beer?

jgluck and musicman7070 like this.
  11. I like bombers because pretty much all of the bombers I buy, don't come in 6 or 4 packs. And if there is a beer I want that comes in a 6 or 4 pack, and there's a bomber, I'm buying the pack because...duh.

Also, bombers take up less space.

12. I enjoying trying a new brew in a bomber about once a week, and if I can find one for $5 or less, it's even better. I just like the idea of getting about two pours out of a bomber and enjoying it for 45 minutes or so. Kind of my beer treat for the week. Cost efficient? Not at all, but one a week is ok.

13. beercanman

beercanman Savant (485) Ohio Dec 17, 2012

I prefer the 12 oz format. Some beers are to much for me to drink 22 oz of. Like barleywines, I love them but 22 ozs is a bit much. They tend to be a lot more in price, plus the smaller bottle are my favorite to cellar. My .02

bozodogbreath and EyePeeAyBryan like this.
  14. n2185

It's not too difficult considering how addicting sugar can be, but a quarter of the way into it you're not really tasting anything anymore since your palate is so overwhelmed with sugar and coldness.

15. I usually find myself digging around for the peanut butter cups, or chunks of whatever it is I'm eating. Also, I'm a glutton.

YogiBeer likes this.
  16. Nectar

Nectar Savant (310) New Jersey Jan 17, 2013

Ive never bought a bomber that was available in a 12oz bottle...

Thats the point. You can go on and on and on about price per oz and all that, but if a beer that someone really wants to try (and the brewery wants you to try) only comes in large bottle format, what the hell does it matter how much an imaginary 6pk would cost?

People pay the premium to try it. Thats all

mrcraft, YogiBeer, AdamP and 2 others like this.
  17. n2185

Or chocolate-covered waffle cone bits. Mmmmm.

18. Nailed it...

19. Hanzo

Hanzo Champion (955) Virginia Feb 27, 2012

Luckily where I shop has almost everything available for purchase in singles, so of course if I can buy a single 12oz of a new beer vs. and overpriced bomber I am going to go that way. But there are a lot of beers only available in bombers, and if I want to try those I have to pony up the cash. It sucks but what can you do?

20. JoeyBeerBelly

JoeyBeerBelly Initiate (0) New York Dec 15, 2006

[​IMG]
    16oz Cans - FTW!

stayclean likes this.
  21. Northlax3

Are you saying the $10 dollar bomber vs $10 4 pack is different beer? Then of course it will be cheaper for the 4 pack if you choose cheaper beer! o_O

I work at a beer store.
    You're never going to find a 10$ 4 pack and a 10$ 22oz of the same beer. If the bomber was $6.50 (FW Double Jack), the 4 pack price is $12.

With the 6 pack price i mentioned, i was thinking back when Stone Ruination came in 6 packs.
    Ruination 22oz price: $6.49 or $.295/oz
    Ruination 6 pack price: $17.49 or $.243/oz
    New Ruination 4 pack: $12.49 or $.26/oz

For the bomber, you are paying a 5 cent premium per ounce for the same beer (at 6 pac economies of scale). That is justified if you only want a single serving to try.

22. Northlax3

What world do you live in?

another example:
    Rogue Dead guy 22oz price $4.99 or .227/oz
    Rogue Dead Guy 6pack price $12.99 or $.18/oz

Another:
    FW Double Jack 22oz price $6.49 or $.295/oz
    FW Double jack 4 pack price $12.49 or $.26/oz

Ive never seen a $12 6er sell for a $6 bomber of the same beer.

23. its always cheaper to get the 12oz 4 or 6 packs than the bomber of the same beer.
    but bombers are awesome too, just because.
    I saw an article on here a week ago about using a bottle cutter to make your own beer glasses out of bombers with printed on labels (not paper)
    I really want to try this!

ESeab likes this.
  24. semibaked

semibaked Advocate (685) Kentucky Mar 27, 2007

I am pretty much at the point where I won't buy bombers and not because of the price, just because I don't want to drink the whole thing.

Hornet2003 likes this.
  25. You will drink it, and you will like it!

beerindaglass likes this.
  26. I've been told by multiple brewers that the 22oz bottles are better for the beer since they don't require an additional top-off before capping. Just the initial fill and cap. Apparently, 12 bottles will foam over during the first fill and will need to be topped.

I've never bottled so it's only hear-say for me.

27. sixerofelixir

sixerofelixir Savant (390) Ohio Oct 27, 2009

Agreed.

28. semibaked

semibaked Advocate (685) Kentucky Mar 27, 2007

I will drain pour 10 ounces of each bomber I drink just for you buddy!:D

29. emannths

emannths Savant (425) Massachusetts Sep 21, 2007

I've been told by multiple brewers that they prefer 22oz bottles because they can charge way more for them.

30. BeerLover99

BeerLover99 Advocate (745) Illinois Dec 13, 2008

22oz bombers = social and/or experimenting with something new
    12 oz = stable variety/everyday for the frig.
    :D

StarRanger likes this.
  31. May be true too, but irrelevant to my post

32. beerindaglass

beerindaglass Savant (300) Florida Feb 20, 2013

Or to drink it over and over and over again. (see beerindaglasses addiction to Ruination 10 yr. found only in bomber form) ;)

Nectar likes this.
  33. CORKSCREWFISH

CORKSCREWFISH Savant (325) Illinois Apr 22, 2011

Easy dude...........Its only an avatar! Lololo

34. the only reason to ever buy a big bottle is when that's the only format the beer is available in and you really what to try it. And even then its rarely ever worth it, unless its like Wookey Jack for $6.50 or St Bernardus 12 for $10 or something.

35. I enjoy the social and experimental aspect of a bomber. Opening it up an untried beer with a buddy, pouring a pair of glasses and enjoying them together. Splitting a six pack or two can become boozey and quite filling.

I also think the packaging and appearance is added to with the larger bottle. I recently had a bomber of St Bernardus Abt 12 and felt that the corked 750ml just came off grander looking than compared the smaller bottles.

ColdOne likes this.
  36. luisfrancisco

luisfrancisco Savant (285) Mexico Dec 1, 2009

I really like bombers because they like, include the word BOMB.

Cvescalante likes this.

37. Agreed.

Solution: Share with friends. (Everybody wins!)

38. ESeab

ESeab Advocate (505) New Jersey Jan 3, 2013

I buy tons of bombers, very few of which are in 4-6 pack format. A mistake I made when starting to drink bombers in general, buying racer 5 and ruination. But now most bombers I buy are either a) stouts b) from port brewing. I wonder lately, was buying half a case of BCBCS for $19.99 a pop really worth it?

I also really like just like the look of bombers and some are cool too save, just a fun factor.

39. BlackDragon

BlackDragon Initiate (0) Michigan Feb 16, 2013

Hate cans bottles forever I don't want to taste metal the alchemist uses cans for heady because they don't have the skill to make non cloudy beer.

40. Are you high or just not well educated?