1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Bombers versus 12-ouncers

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Somebody_Else, Feb 26, 2013.

1. whiskey

whiskey Savant (330) California Feb 25, 2012

Ruination is $6.49 at TW by my house. $8.99 in a 4 pack. That's $.295 vs $.187. That's huge. Most bomber vs 4/6 pack prices vary more than your examples.
  2. BlackDragon

BlackDragon Initiate (0) Michigan Feb 16, 2013

you put your lips on the can to drink from it right even if they do a perfect job with the cans coating you'll still taste the metal.
  3. Dude, I'm not even a huge fan of HT, and drinking it from the can, really isn't bad. at all. Plus the whole "drink from the can" thing they got going on. But, I'm sure they don't know what they're talking about.
  4. Highbrow

Highbrow Savant (475) California Jan 7, 2011

i was all with you til that last third of the last sentence!o_O a pint of ice cream is a standard serving - no? then again, B&J specific i'd probably agree, as they do have some crazy @$$ 4 course meal flavors. lol.
  5. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Advocate (595) Colorado Jan 20, 2012

I've never met a troll who didn't like it in the can.

ninja edit...
    As a homebrewer who loves to recycle bottles, I love a 22oz platform. It cuts my bottling time in half.
    Duff27, sdonegan and HipsterBrewfus like this.
  6. I just found about this new thing used for drinking beer called the 'glass' and hey there are even a bunch of different kinds of 'glasses'. I am told you pour the beer into the 'glass' and you never have to put your lips on metal. Is that cool or what?
    jgluck and HipsterBrewfus like this.
  7. BlackDragon

but when I go to the lake and reach for a beer I probably won't have a glass.

8. Well that is a glorious price for a 4 pack... not sure why your bomber is that high, when the 4 pack is so low. Im guessing the TW buys case deals for the 4packs, and not the bombers.

In that case, yes the 4 pack would be ideal.
  9. Highbrow

which lake is stocked with beers?
    jgluck likes this.
  10. A competing company came out with a cheap knockoff of the 'glass' they they call 'cups' including one that is supposed to be famous called the 'red solo cup' which I guess is commonly found when people are 'at the lake' or sometimes 'at the beach'. Personally I found changling that looks like the infamous 'glass' but it made out of plastic so I take that with when I go 'to the lake'.
  11. Cvescalante

Cvescalante Savant (400) Texas Dec 24, 2012

Wooooowwww..... Even if everything you just said wasn't wrong, I'll just say this; who freakin cares how Heady looks??? Appearance is over rated anyway. Pour it into a glass, and close your eyes if you have to lol.

Back on topic though.. I wish my favorite premium beers were all available in 4-6 packs. I'd let myself enjoy all my favorites on more occasions if I didn't have to drink $15 or more everytime I had the urge to have one.
  12. shredder83

shredder83 Savant (420) Illinois Feb 21, 2013

The cloudyness of a beer has nothing to do with it's quality, plenty of world class breweries brew or have brewed beers that are hazy in appearance.
  13. I want to go to that lake.
    Cvescalante likes this.
  14. Highbrow

me too, but minus the trippy side effects i imagine it requires to get there.:p
    Cvescalante and HipsterBrewfus like this.
  15. Hmmmm, you seem to be agreeing with me that it is always cheaper per ounce to buy in 12 oz bottles if it is an available option. As for my rough pricing estimate, I cant dream up any examples but it was more about making a point.
  16. n2185

n2185 Advocate (640) North Carolina Apr 14, 2008

I do quite often, but between working 50-60 hours per week and only having a couple of friends who appreciate decent beers, I would often find myself sitting on beers for months and months until I can share them. That's not always a bad thing, but the fact is that I'm usually buying/trading big format faster than my maybe-bimonthly hang-outs with BAs allow me to drink.
  17. Heady Topper has become a Butterface :eek:
    Cvescalante likes this.
  18. DelMontiac

DelMontiac Advocate (620) Oklahoma Oct 22, 2010

Well, bombers are just more manly. Love taking them to a party among the bmc crowd. They say, "What is that?" I say, "Just a great tasting beer that contains more alcohol that six of yours."
    jgluck likes this.
  19. weonfire

weonfire Savant (350) Illinois Sep 4, 2012

Goodness......its not about the price. Beer is meant to shared and talked about. What does the 22 & 25.4 oz beer make you do??? share it. its not meant for one person. maybe i'm very fortunate that my lady loves to try new beers- so I always buy the bombers bc when we get home we split them! its the perfect size.
    Duff27 likes this.
  20. You mean...I've been doing it wrong this whole time?
  21. weonfire

weonfire Savant (350) Illinois Sep 4, 2012

Haha....yep. this whole time. things might taste a bit different tonight.....
  22. Hey, if what I'm doing is wrong, I don't want to be right
    jgluck and Cvescalante like this.
  23. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Advocate (595) Colorado Jan 20, 2012

Op, think of it like another commodity you would buy. Would you buy the cheaper two liter to try out a new soda? Or just buy the more expensive six pack? Would you buy the small package of tide to try it out? Or the sams club bulk pack? The bulk pack is less $ per ounce, that doesn't mean it is a better buy for the consumer.
  24. maxcoinage

maxcoinage Savant (440) Illinois Apr 6, 2012

This is exactly how I feel! I've been buying lots of bombers lately but haven't had much company in the winter so I've drank all the < 9% ones (75 min IPA was amazing) but I need some help with the big boys! Having some people over this weekend to help me knock some of them out (can't wait to finally have my first taste of BCBCS)
  25. beertunes likes this.
  26. chuckstout

chuckstout Aficionado (225) Ohio May 22, 2006

Most bombers (Hoppin Frog, Rogue, Stone etc) in my neck of the woods, start at 9.00 +, so I prefer good old fashioned six packs!
  27. I only buy large format bottles if that is the only available serving type for a beer I want to try.
  28. BlackDragon

They look cool though long live the bomber!!!