1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Boneyard question

Discussion in 'US - Northwest' started by Alieniloquium, Jan 20, 2013.

1. I missed Boneyard on my Oregon trip and I wanted to put up an ISO for some growlers. I figured I should find out if they even fill growlers first. Do they fill growlers? What sizes? And do they post what's currently available anywhere?
    Thanks for any info anyone has.

2. chikago312

chikago312 Zealot (85) Oregon Nov 13, 2008

It's been a few months so this may be a bit out of date but yes they fill 32 and 64 oz, priced from 8-15 for 64 oz fills. They post availability infrequently via twitter @BoneyardBeer but most of their beers, aside from Notorious and Suge Knight, are generally available all the time.

3. squaremile

squaremile Savant (340) Oregon Aug 25, 2007

Yeah they do and most bars in portland will do growlers of their stuff which is all over the place right now.

4. I'm not sure when you'll be trying to get a growler fill, but I was there yesterday and was told they are putting Bourbon Barrel Suge Knight on in the next few days. Give them a call and I'm sure they'll let you know what five beers they have on tap.

flexabull likes this.
  5. oregonskibum

oregonskibum Savant (455) Oregon Mar 14, 2009

Boneyard will definitely fill growlers and sells a lot of beer to locals that way. The problem - most of those growlers never make it through the evening. Boneyard is so damn good, it's hard to imagine packing their beer into a box instead of sitting down and drinking it yourself.

sukwonee, flexabull and digita7693 like this.
  6. They tend to update their Facebook page fairly often with what's brewing/on tap.

7. bosco123

bosco123 Aficionado (140) Oregon May 26, 2008

Suge!!?? Dang..missed it by one week. If you can get a growler of Suge(I can't believe they would) GET TWO!

8. The last picture on Boneyard's FB feed had Suge as tasters only, no growler fills.

9. Had that BB Suge Knight at the Burgundian Imperial fest 2 weeks ago, a monster of a beer. Really damn good, though.

flexabull likes this.
  10. I stopped by and had it as well. It was a bit hot and unbalanced, I'd love to see how it ages.

BuckeyeOne, flexabull and bgramer like this.
  11. guajolote

guajolote Savant (415) Oregon Sep 12, 2008

I haven't had the BA Suge Knite, but I don't see how it could top regular Suge Knite. That beer is about perfect as far as non-BA imperial stouts go.

flexabull likes this.
  12. Completely agree. Regular Suge is amazing, I can't imagine what some time in a barrel would do to that lovely beast. I'd be happy to try it though!

13. Boneyard taps a BA Suge Knite every year during Bend's "Little Woody" festival. Great Beer.

flexabull likes this.
  14. I had this at Back in Black and also found it too hot and unbalanced. For me, anything over 12% is just overkill and the alcohol taste distracts from the overall enjoyment of the beer. That's just me.

15. Gobigvt7

Gobigvt7 Savant (310) Oregon Mar 15, 2008

Lucked into the Barrel-Aged Suge on our trip to Bend this weekend. They don't do growlers of it, but as part of the incredibly cheap tasting flight, it was worth the price of admission alone. Vanillin goodness.

16. LoPo87

LoPo87 Aficionado (235) Oregon Mar 9, 2012

BA Suge Nite is hontestly one of the best beers that comes out of Oregon. Its just incredible, up there with all the rare BA stouts.

exitmusic00, flexabull and m4ttj0nes like this.
  17. The first thing I noticed when I tasted regular Suge was how it didn't taste as strong as the high ABV suggests.

18. kscaldef

kscaldef Advocate (725) Oregon Jun 11, 2010

I think that the experience of drinking wine should make it clear that "booziness" or "hotness" or "strong-tasting" are only loosely related to ABV. No one has ever complained that a 12% wine was too boozy.

flexabull likes this.
  19. Very true. Only a very few wines have come off to me as being "hot".