1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Boneyard

Discussion in 'US - Northwest' started by guajolote, Mar 30, 2012.

1. guajolote

guajolote Member

I figrured Boneyard could use its own discussion thread.

Are they the best up-and-coming brewery in the NW? In the US? For my money, they're making some of the best hoppy beers out there right now. RPM, Hop Venom, Notorious and Armored Fist are (IMO) serious contenders for the top beers in their respective styles. And let's not forget Suge Knite, which is maybe one of the best--and most dangerously drinkable at 14%--imperial stouts available in the region.

I don't know how well-known they are outside of Cascadia, but once they get the canning line going, they seem positioned to become the next Alchemist, Alpine or Kern River, with respect to the reverence paid to those breweries' hoppy beers.

Thoughts? Rants? Raves? Let's hear 'em!
    AleVana, libbey and boMD like this.
  2. boMD

boMD Member

My thoughts are: I agree.

Hopefully their relationship with Three Floyds will get them exposure on the other side of the mountains.
  3. draheim

draheim Member

I have no opinion as I haven't had any Boneyard beers yet. Just a matter of time.

But I will say, if they are on par with Alpine or Kern River, nothing could make me happier. I don't really care about respect or exposure east of the mountains or anything like that. I just want more fresh, world-class beer brewed and available locally.
    NWer and hopsbreath like this.
  4. teddyarrowhead

teddyarrowhead Member

I completely agree. FYI, for any of you in PDX right now, Bailey's Taproom has Notorious on right now.
  5. spicelab

spicelab Member

I'd definitely say so.

I did a West Coast tour in February (San Diego to Portland) and for hoppy beers, Boneyard beat everything in California with the exception of Alpine.

I couldn't split Alpine and Boneyard. Equally brilliant, but quite different.

I personally rated Hop Venom above Pliny the Younger, which I tried on the first day of the release.

Unfortunately only got to have a 2 oz taster of Suge Knite but it was very smooth.

Great people too, and super humble.
  6. honkduh

honkduh Member

Suge Knite is great.
  7. djbreezy

djbreezy Member

Hell yeah. They're awesome. Just had a growler of RPM this week. Bring on the cans asap! :D
  8. Mahlik

Mahlik Member

Completely agree. RPM, Hop Venom and Notorious are all outstanding IPAs. And Suge Knite is pretty damn tasty. I can't wait until the canning line is up and running.
  9. Reidrover

Reidrover Member

Im not a huge fan..but maybe in July when i'm camping in the area maybe i can see.
    At the moment im all about Gilgamesh
  10. squaremile

squaremile Member

With Shawn Kelso in transition, Hop Venom becomes the best hoppy beer in Oregon in my book. I REALLLLLLY hope they will start brewing Bone-a-Fide Pale Ale again someday too. Boneyard rules.
  11. Tall boys of RPM?
    [​IMG]

Yes please!!!!
    djbreezy and squaremile like this.
  12. hopsbreath

hopsbreath Member

I'm a fan. Easily the best IPA's in the state for my taste. Did a side by side with Notorious and PtY and it was virtually a draw for my taste. Notorious was a touch fuller than Younger but that was okay by me. I could understand if somebody preferred the drier Russian River TIPA, but I found it to be an improvement in the mouthfeel for a beer of that size. Don't sleep on RPM either. The day I can buy tall boys of that beer is probably the same day my neighbor's call the cops to my house for disorderly conduct. When they arrive, they'll need to wade through the black cans littering my front lawn.
    libbey and guajolote like this.
  13. RedMedicine

RedMedicine Member

RPM is outstanding. Hop Venom and Notorious I think are a overrated around here, but still excellent. Nortorious side by side w/ Younger and it wasn't even close.
  14. beertunes

beertunes Member

I'm a big fan. I visited the brewery a couple years ago, not long after they opened, and they weren't yet brewing anything hoppy. They had Bone-A-Fide, Black 13 and Girl Beer. I loved 'em all. Great folks, I'm really happy to see them doing well. Now if we could just get their brews up to Tha 'Ham a bit more consistently.
  15. MADhombrewer

MADhombrewer Member

RPM and Venom are great. I typically like my IPAs drier and piney-er but RPM is a great contrast. I find myself getting it more and more every time I see it on tap.
    Haven't has Suge Knite yet, but I can't wait.

If there are any Boneyard people reading this, could you provide a ball park estimate on when the cans will be released? I am hoping they will be available before I go hunting.
  16. draheim

draheim Member

And MADhombrewer could you let us know where you plan to be hunting? I'd like to avoid the area as you'll be all hopped up on RPM and Venom and carrying a deadly weapon...;) And I'd rather keep Boneyard as a figurative term.
    MADhombrewer likes this.
  17. m4ttj0nes

m4ttj0nes Member

If they start canning, the police are going to leave hopsbreath's house and head over to mine to arrest me next.
  18. beertunes

beertunes Member

Please, no. Please can we have 12oz cans? If I want that much, I'll just drink 2 12s. Please all brewers, smaller formats.
    draheim likes this.
  19. hopsbreath

hopsbreath Member

Hopefully the cops will let us keep our smart phones in the backseat of the squad car so we can beligerently post on BA about how RPM>PTE.
    m4ttj0nes, MADhombrewer and libbey like this.
  20. ajramirez1

ajramirez1 Member

Ya ive heard the hype. I just need to try all of them. Some dude at a Pliny the Younger tasting said Notorious better than the younger. Did a side by side tasting of each. Child please. Not even close. Pliny reigns. But notarious wasnt bad though, good ipa for abv. But where in pdx can i get i get bottles?
    A-
    NWer likes this.
  21. Draft only at the moment my friend
  22. NWer

NWer Member

Agreed! Even w/all the great IPA's out there and even though PtY seemed to fall off a little this year for whatever reason, PtY is still number one!
  23. m4ttj0nes

m4ttj0nes Member

For me, it goes like this

blind pig > rpm
    venom > elder
    notorious > younger

After having heady topper out of the can, i'm convinced IPAs should be served in cans.
    Gobigvt7 likes this.
  24. BuckeyeOne

BuckeyeOne Member

Instead of the endless and tiring comparisons of Boneyard IPAs to established and excellent IPAs like PtE and PtY, let us just be thankful Boneyard exists in our own backyard. We are blessed --- Boneyard Hop Venom, Black Raven Wisdom Seeker, Elysian Hubris, Fremont The Brother, etc. --- Let us not forget.
    vkv822, libbey and NWer like this.
  25. draheim

draheim Member

You just named four beers I've never had. Damn I need more free time.
  26. kevwcamp

kevwcamp Member

I'm a big fan of Wisdom Seeker. Huge. I have not been fortunate to get any bottles, but the three times I've had it on tap were all outstanding.
  27. BuckeyeOne

BuckeyeOne Member

How old are your kids? My oldest is 13 and will soon be 14. Our social life changed significantly for the better when he got older.
  28. draheim

draheim Member

We have a five-year-old. Enough said. Things are already a lot easier, I just picked the wrong time to get serious about beer. Then again, I think I appreciate it that much more because it's not always easy or convenient.
  29. FYI we just tapped a 1/6 barrel of the notorious at the Eastside Tavern in Olympia but I would be shocked if it makes it past the weekend.

Cheers
    Matt
  30. draheim

draheim Member

I agree. I'd be happy if everything was packaged in 12oz and/or 16oz cans and bottles. The 500mL bottle is the perfect size, in my opinion - although I also like the little stubby 12oz bottles (SN, Lagunitas, Founders) because they fit on the bottom shelf of my beer fridge.
  31. maltmaster420

maltmaster420 Member

When I was in Bend a couple months ago I asked Tony about the cans, and the short answer was "not until the new brewery is complete because we can't keep up with the demand for kegs as it is." If we're lucky we'll see them by fall, but I wouldn't be surprised if they get pushed back until after the holidays.
    djbreezy likes this.
  32. bifrost17

bifrost17 Member

I had my first boneyard beer last night, backbone, chocolate espresso stout, I was extremely surprised, this beer was awesome, now I really want to try some of their ipas.
  33. Their IPA's dominate.
    Shmeal likes this.
  34. boralyl

boralyl Member

I've been extremely impressed with their hoppy offerings: RPM, Armored Fist, Hop Venom, and Notorious. Right now Hop Venom is one of my favorite hoppy beers, really amazing. I also recently tried their Suge Knite and was equally impressed, couldn't taste the alcohol at all.

I personally can't wait until they come in cans. Boneyard is doing great things and will be highly sought after in the near future (by individuals who don't have access to draft now).
  35. honkduh

honkduh Member

Pine box on Capitol Hill just put Hop Venom on tap, Go!
    libbey and bifrost17 like this.
  36. bifrost17

bifrost17 Member

I just had two glasses of hop venom over in ballard....OUTSTANDING!!! It's honestly my new favorite DIPA, it's so damn good.
    libbey likes this.
  37. Great problem to have for a realativly new brewery to have but I can't wait till they start canning to blow some of my trading partners away with their beer.

Patience is a virtue......
    bifrost17 likes this.
  38. m4ttj0nes

m4ttj0nes Member

tell me about it, going to bend and buying that shit by the truckload. after boneyard stuff hits heady topper levels in trading equity i'm going to be using it to fill my cellar to the brim.
  39. PaulStoneAnchor

PaulStoneAnchor Member

I cannot wait for Boneyard to start sending kegs to CA. While I was living in Oregon a few months ago I was lucky enough to have several RPM IPAs on tap at Bier One, in Newport. I actually prefer the style of IPA they are producing; fuller body, slightly sweeter, and rich mouthfeel. RPM, in my opinion, is better than Pliny (Dont get me wrong I really enjoy Pliny as well, but I prefer slightly sweeter and citrusy IPAs) , but that is to say I prefer those style of IPAs. I wish could of tried Notorious, Hop Venom, and Suge Knite. If Boneyard starts canning I will be putting my order in for at least a case, if not more. Boneyard is definitely awesome!
  40. bifrost17

bifrost17 Member

I loved hop venom so much last night that now I'm heading back over to the noble fir to fill my growler....I wanna try suge knight so bad.