Boneyard

Discussion in 'Northwest' started by guajolote, Mar 30, 2012.

1. distantmantra

distantmantra Advocate (685) Washington May 23, 2011 Verified

RPM is one of my favorite beers. Really fortunate that my neighborhood pub (Latona) happens to get it regularly. Cannot wait until they start canning, but I'm guessing that won't be until after they expand.

2. Interestingly Seattle seems to be loaded with Bobeyard beers right now. Just picked up a growler of the femme fatale from chucks.

3. bifrost17

bifrost17 Initiate (0) Washington Dec 16, 2011

How much did that growler cost you at chucks???

4. Yeah- really liking the brews that Boneyard has been producing. To date I've tried Black 13, RPM, and Hop Venom- all very solid. I look forward to Notorious and Suge when I have the opportunity...

5. BuckeyeOne

BuckeyeOne Advocate (600) Washington Mar 9, 2008 Verified

Did you end up getting the growler of Hop Venom? $28 was too rich for my blood.

6. Only 13 bux I think

7. bifrost17

bifrost17 Initiate (0) Washington Dec 16, 2011

Y
    yeah I got it, I figured I might as well get it whle I can, $28 was hefty but I just got paid so whatever.

8. m4ttj0nes

m4ttj0nes Aficionado (245) Oregon Feb 21, 2012

Northwest Liquid Gold in vancouver has boneyard beers most of the time. Usually just RPM, but they've had diablo rojo, and hop venom as well. $10 fills.

libbey and djbreezy like this.
  9. boMD

boMD Savant (325) Oregon Feb 8, 2009

That's some serious gouging. When I was at the brewery they charged $8 for fills, $10 for an imperial beer (IE Hop Venom, Notorious, Armored Fist).

10. BuckeyeOne

Well, in their defense, it's a pretty small bar. I can't imagine that their profit margin is that large. They would definitely make more money selling 13 oz. glasses of this than selling growlers.

Really, I almost never buy growlers from bars. Prices at bars tend to be higher than other places in my experience. I don't blame them.

libbey likes this.
  11. We've had Hop Venom and Suge on tap at Beer Revolution down in Oakland, and I was impressed! Went to taste Hop Venom knowing nothing about it and with no expectations and was totally blown away.

Excited to try more of their hoppy offerings.

12. Beerme5

Beerme5 Aficionado (235) Oregon Nov 16, 2008

can you buy the cans anywhere in portland yet? curious to try. one of the best new breweries out of Oregon, in my opinion, is Hop Valley. Both of their IPA offerings are stellar.

AleVana likes this.
  13. boMD

boMD Savant (325) Oregon Feb 8, 2009

No cans until they finish their expansion.

14. guajolote

guajolote Savant (445) Oregon Sep 12, 2008

I, along with several other people I interact with on untappd (and in real life), have suspected some variation to the Hop Venom recipe in recent months. Then I heard recently that the recipe had been "tweaked" down to 8%. Since it's currently my favorite beer, I emailed Boneyard to try to get to the bottom of this "mystery." I also asked about future availability of Notorious & Suge Knite.

Here's the response I got from Tony (Boneyard's brewmaster). I thought some of you might be interested...

"Hi J
    First i thank you for your interest in H.V. and the other beers !
    As for the H.V. originally it was brewer to 10%ABV . I did pull back to 9% about 8 months ago. Other than that i have not been tweaking the recipe at all . Although it is craft beer and can move around a bit for various reasons .
    We will brew both Notorious and Suge this fall for sure
    CHEERS TONY
    BREW MASTER
    BONEYARD BEER CO."

flexabull and libbey like this.
  15. spillred

spillred Aficionado (180) Oregon Jun 23, 2011 Verified

http://www.beervanabuzz.com/2012/09/boneyard-continues-to-carve-niche.html

"The idea in bringing the numbers down was make the beers more drinkable," Lawrence said. "I think less alcohol actually allows for more flavor...and lets people drink more of this beer. Anyway, the tasting room sign isn't exactly right. RPM is right around 6.6% and Hop Venom is probably a little less than 8.9%."

guajolote likes this.
  16. guajolote

Thanks for posting that. I did a google search before I emailed Boneyard, but didn't come up with anything.

17. mudbug

mudbug Advocate (560) Oregon Mar 27, 2009 Subscriber

Everything I've tried of theirs has been outstanding, Hop Venom is on tap at our local place (Bier One, Newport) I can see the Pliny references but it tastes more like Lagunitas Sucks to me.

18. DimensionX

DimensionX Savant (335) Oregon Oct 1, 2010

For some reason I can't get into the Boneyard IPAs. I'm not exactly sure but I think there might be too much caramel malt for my taste, everybody else raves about them so I just chalk it up to personal preference. Or maybe I'm just a weirdo with IPAs, I don't like either Plinys (any more) and would much rather have a blind pig.

I would like to try their other styles though

19. csano

csano Initiate (0) Washington Sep 21, 2010

Don't forget the Fremont Cowiche Canyon Organic Fresh Hop Ale. That one is delicious as well.

20. BuckeyeOne

While delicious, I don't think it's an IPA. But with that said, I think we could go on and on about the really wonderful beers we have access to that have not (yet) made it onto the radar of the traders and the tickers. I for one am grateful for this.

beertunes and draheim like this.
  21. distantmantra

It was classified as a Pale Ale last year, I'm guessing it's the same this year.

22. I have to agree! Every time i have a growler of RPM or Hop Venom i say it s my favorite beer. So hoppy without being overly bitter. Both are truly well crafted IPA's. Armored Fist was outstanding. Suge Knight...Big Black and Smooth as velvet...all while being 14%. WELL DONE BONEYARD!

23. distantmantra

Mutiny Hall had Hop Venom and Pliny on tap a few weeks back. Hop Venom all the way, baby.

24. guajolote

The day I realized Hop Venom was my favorite beer happened this past spring at APEX. That day, I passed over Blind Pig, PtE, Double Apex, Palate Wrecker and Double Jack for Hop Venom. Twice.

25. DefenCorps

DefenCorps Advocate (635) Oregon Jan 18, 2007

I just moved to the Portland area, and with an infant at home, I can't afford to look around too much for their beers. How often do their regulars go on tap, and how long do they last? Are growler fills acquirable?

HopHead84 likes this.
  26. guajolote

APEX pretty much always has Hop Venom (and Armored Fist too), but no growler fills there. Bridgetown Beerhouse seems to have it pretty often, and they do fill growlers. RPM is also readily available all over PDX. The rest of their beers show up sporadically, but HV and RPM seem to be the most common.

IF you use untappd, you can search for the beers and see where they're currently on tap, as long as someone has checked into the beer recently. I'd also suggest following some of the more well-known beer bars on facebook and/or twitter so you can see when any Boneyard stuff pops up on tap around town.

27. oregone

oregone Savant (375) Oregon Jul 2, 2008

Well, you know I agree. I find the aroma an flavor are lessened by overly caramel-centric character too. Too sweet and rich, while I look for a bit 'sharper' character. I get the love, but thei hoppy brews are not for me. Suge though... That is a reeeeedicilous stout. It what Dark Lord would like to be. Or maybe should like to be? eh.

SatlyMalty likes this.
  28. I think that their IPA's are some of the best I have ever had. Period. Easily as good ad Russian River, Alpine, and Kern River. I also think that them and Hills Farmstead are the two biggest upcoming breweries in the country right now. So yeah, Boneyard has got it going on.

29. A friend shared a growler of RPM with me last night, just another reminder of how great that beer is. (and pretty much all of Boneyard's)

30. DefenCorps

DefenCorps Advocate (635) Oregon Jan 18, 2007

Thank you for this information! Looking forward to grabbing a growler when I can.

31. ramnuts

ramnuts Aficionado (245) Oregon Feb 16, 2009

Mainbrew in Hillsboro always has RPM available for growler fills and frequently has HV, Notorious, Armored Fist, and the others, too.

32. ramnuts

ramnuts Aficionado (245) Oregon Feb 16, 2009

EDIT: speaking of Mainbrew, they just twittered/Facebooked the following: We have a brand new keg of Boneyard Beer on tap for growler filling right now! Never before seen in Portland, only 40 kegs of this were brewed: "Aleious," a 7% Wheat IPA with LOTS AND LOTS of hoppy aroma and flavor. Classic Boneyard flavors with a wheaty-twist. This is a collaboration between Boneyard and John Harris of Full Sail fame.

Only 10 kegs of this are scattered around the Portland area and we have two of them! It won't last long so come on by this weekend and try a brand new Boneyard!!

libbey likes this.
  33. BigE90

BigE90 Aficionado (235) Washington Mar 19, 2011

The Full Sail Pilsner Room/McCormick & Schmick's seems to always have RPM on tap if you don't feel like driving out to Hillsburrito I mean Hillsboro.

AleVana likes this.
  34. Wow that was totally sexist.

barleywinefiend and m4ttj0nes like this.
  35. AleVana

AleVana Aficionado (130) Oregon Oct 23, 2011

Just enjoyed a pitcher of Boneyard RPM last night with my wife at Mellow Mushroom Pizza (2 dollar pints on Monday Nights!) on 14th and NW Flanders, close to the Rogue. Then we ordered another pint. So smooth and hoppy! Also in PDX at Blitz99 in Tigard, and Blitz Ladd. Mash Tun on Alberta had it, but they have been victims of the RPM shortage. If you visit brewery in Bend before they move to new place, it looks like an old car junkyard....No food, just brews.

36. AleVana

AleVana Aficionado (130) Oregon Oct 23, 2011

John Harris met Tony Lawrence, now Boneyard's brewmaster and co-owner, many years ago back in their days at Deschutes Brewery. John hired Tony as a cleanup brewer. Now 22 years later Tony is rocking it down at Boneyard Beer. He called up John and said "we need to brew a beer together and ferment it in the "Harris" tank." Tony explained that he names his tanks at Boneyard after people, and this one was named after his long ago boss at Deschutes...
    In early September, they met at Boneyard to brew a India Wheat Ale (IWA) featuring a good portion of wheat malt along with pale malt and a touch of crystal and then hopping it well beyond Boneyard's RPM IPA with Simcoe and Amarillo hops. Aleias IWA has a crisp malt character with loads of citrus and tropical hop flavor coming from using 3.5 pounds of hops per barrel. Aleias was dry hopped 3 times. Only 40 barrels of this 7.1% beer were produced, so have a pint early and often...

37. amiles

amiles Aficionado (210) Oregon Feb 4, 2007

Had two pints of Aleias at Apex last evening. Wife had a Hop Venom and a Aleias as well. It didn't really taste like a wheat since there are so much hops. Really heavy on Citra dry hopping.

38. i definitely agree with that they are one of the top up-and-coming NW breweries. i recently visited on a road trip from LA, and i thought the RPM was just unbelievable. easily one of my favorite IPAs out there. while i got a growler of the RPM to go, it didn't last nearly long enough. if only they had cans when i was there. can't wait for boneyard to start making its way down to CA!

39. Was just at the taproom this weekend and I have to say Diablo Rojo Fuego is the best chili beer I've ever had. Great stuff.

flexabull likes this.
  40. jtmartino

jtmartino Advocate (515) California Dec 11, 2010 Verified

You guys comparing Notorious to Younger - how old was the Younger? Was it the stuff served at Platypus this year?

If so, you guys were drinking old beer. Younger falls off after two weeks, and the stuff at Platypus wasn't nearly as good as it was within the first couple weeks of release (I had Younger four different times this year.) I really don't know why they served it so late, since they had it in the cooler for a couple weeks before it was tapped.

Also, don't hold your breath for Boneyard's canning - they said it won't happen until 2014 at the earliest unless the contract through someone else.

All that aside, Boneyard makes the best IPAs in the northwest, and is definitely up there with some of the best beers on this coast.

PaulStoneAnchor likes this.