Dismiss Notice
Save $5 when you subscribe to 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine by selecting auto-renew.

Subscribe now →
Dismiss Notice
Join Our Email List →

And we'll send you the latest updates and offers from BeerAdvocate, because knowing is half the battle.
Dismiss Notice

Pre-order your Respect Beer "Hipster" Hoodie today!

Plus: Free shipping (US only) on orders of $25 or more until 12/18/15. Just select "Free Shipping" at checkout.

Shop now →

Discussion in 'Northwest' started by guajolote, Mar 30, 2012.

1. hopsbreath

hopsbreath Savant (485) Oregon Aug 28, 2009

This thread was actually started back in March. Within a couple weeks of Younger getting released Apex offered it as well as Notorious on the same day. Freshness of the two beers really wasn't a question.
  2. Bubba83

Bubba83 Savant (310) California May 11, 2007

Boneyard is definitely good, and one of the best up and coming breweries in the Pac NW. Another one that's an up and comer in Black Raven. Trickster is pretty fantastic and I hope they eventually get that into bottles or cans.
  3. jtmartino

jtmartino Advocate (515) California Dec 11, 2010 Verified

Yeah I know Younger hasn't been on tap since March. I was just curious if the people who tried it had it in Feb, or had to wait until March to try it like the folks in Bend.

I don't think Younger is the end-all beer either, but it's far better fresh than even a few weeks in a keg. The stuff I tried at Platypus in Bend was not nearly as good as the stuff I had at RR.

Boneyard's the same way, but that's the price we pay for these insane hoppy beers :)
  4. Oh snap! They're canning already? I support this 100%
  5. guajolote

guajolote Advocate (505) Oregon Sep 12, 2008

Not for 12-15 months, according to one of the employees at the brewery when I visited this past Friday. But yeah, I support it also!
  6. yojimbo1

yojimbo1 Aficionado (220) Kansas Feb 26, 2012

I can't wait until they start canning. I hope it makes it up to Seattle as soon as they start.
  7. Bone A Fide
    Hop Venom
    Suge Knight-DAMN GOOD!
    Armored Fist
    Skunk Ape

I've had them all plus some. These guys make killer everything. When you can pull off a IRA, CDA, Stout(s), Wit and make it great with consistence.... Talent, passion and attention to detail. Now it's time for a Bwine.
    BigE90, Lazerlobe, libbey and 3 others like this.
  8. Lordkrystic

Lordkrystic Savant (275) Washington Jul 18, 2012

I miss me the backbone...wish they'd start brewing it again.
  9. flexabull

flexabull Champion (810) California Mar 9, 2006 Verified

They need a lot more room so they can crack out more beers like Backbone. I think they are just selling RPM and Hop Venom like crazy.
  10. pdxtomct

pdxtomct Disciple (70) Oregon Sep 26, 2011

I visited Boneyard over Labor Day and the quote about reduced ABV in Hop Venom and RPM is from my blog, Beervana Buzz. Tony was completely upfront about what he intended to do with these beers when I first talked to him in late December 2011. The dialed down beers are just as good as ever, I think. Hop Venom and RPM continue to be popular wherever they are found in the Northwest, and the list includes taverns and sports bars all over the place. I have no idea how they're keeping with the draft demand. They definitely won't be canning until the new production facility opens, probably next spring or summer. For those who hope to see 16 oz cans, it appears they may shift to the 12 oz version due to cost...that's what Tony told me. Go read the full post if you want the details: http://www.beervanabuzz.com/2012/09/boneyard-continues-to-carve-niche.html
    flexabull, spillred and libbey like this.
  11. bgramer

bgramer Savant (345) Washington Feb 10, 2006

While I think Black Raven's one of the better breweries, it feels like they've slipped a bit. The consensus around here is that Fremont has overtaken Black Raven as the one to watch. They're making all the right moves in getting noticed for their creativity as well as putting out solid sessionable beers that are great examples of their respective styles. Try The Brother for a Double IPA.

Naked City has expanded their capacity to allow more kegs to get out into other Seattle bars. Don Webb, a super nice guy, btw, continues to brew up experimental recipes, such as the Coffee IPA he did for The Burgundian's Coffee Fest last weekend.

A brand new brewery to keep an eye on is Reuben's Brews in Ballard. Adam Robbings over there is doing some interesting things with his beers. Try the Roggenbier & California Lager. They've been getting quite a buzz lately.
    libbey likes this.
  12. bifrost17

bifrost17 Initiate (0) Washington Dec 16, 2011

Reubens Brews Imperial Rye IPA is also fucking good. I was just in there talking to Adam the other day and he was telling me that he got some barrels from Hair of the Dog for aging his Imperial Stout, cannot wait to try it.
    libbey and bgramer like this.
  13. well, something to look forward to then.
  14. guajolote

Good news, good news!

Boneyard just posted this on fb: Just in time for the Christmas holidays , Suge Knight West Coast Imperial Stout has been kegged and should be hitting the mean streets of Oregon and Washington sometime early December . Suge Knight will keep ya nice and toasty :)

Merry xmas to us all!
  15. distantmantra

distantmantra Advocate (735) Washington May 23, 2011 Verified

They posted a picture of them kegging it on Twitter last night, too. Psyched.
    Lordkrystic likes this.
  16. oregone

oregone Savant (385) Oregon Jul 2, 2008

17. jpbebeau

jpbebeau Savant (440) Washington Sep 11, 2011 Verified

I had Suge during Seattle Beer Week at Urban Family w/ cheese pairings. It blew me away, for sure.
  18. BuckeyeOne

BuckeyeOne Advocate (600) Washington Mar 9, 2008 Verified

I had Suge at Back in Black and wasn't a fan. I realized not too long ago that I don't really like beers that get above 12%. I've had Suge, BCBS, WWS, Mephistopheles, etc. and found them all to be too boozy and, frankly, just too much.
  19. m4ttj0nes

m4ttj0nes Savant (270) Oregon Feb 21, 2012 Verified

hoepfully the world doesn't end so my dream of having boneyard beer from cans comes true.
  20. yojimbo1

yojimbo1 Aficionado (220) Kansas Feb 26, 2012

21. HuskyinPDX

HuskyinPDX Advocate (680) Washington Jan 23, 2011 Verified

I thought I saw a mock up of 16oz cans. Kinda Like Surly.
    flexabull and distantmantra like this.
  22. distantmantra

Yeah, I saw tall boy promo cans when I was at the brewery in May.
    flexabull likes this.
  23. guajolote

Oh boy! Oh boy! Oh boy!

From Boneyard's facebook feed: "Brewing up batch #1000 today! We couldn't think of a better way to celebrate this milestone than to brew up a brand new Double IPA :) Are you ready?"

I wonder if it will involve Mosaics. Seems to be the hot hop of late. Anyone have the inside scoop?
    flexabull likes this.
  24. guajolote

Also, totally off-topic, but the cut-and-paste functionality on this message board is super wonky.
    Gobigvt7 likes this.
  25. guajolote

Here's a big (potential?) "holy fuck!" for your Tuesday evening. I'm a bit surprised they chose to go for DIRA rather than DIPA, but I'm certainly interested in trying this. From Boneyard's facebook page:
    I couldn't find any info on how much was produced or if it will make it out of Bend, so if anyone knows, please do tell.
    jakecattleco and vurt like this.
  26. jason_nwx

jason_nwx Savant (390) Oregon Sep 12, 2012

ABV Pub in Hillsboro posted they have it on tap.
  27. Imperial had it, and Baileys has it. Im sure its making the rounds to the usual places.
  28. zestd

zestd Savant (395) Idaho Jan 18, 2013

Instead of making a new thread, I'll leave this here. I am back home after a OR coast vacation. I am forced to drink this growler of RPM by myself. But it is some great stuff! Appearances, nose and taste all make me think of what Blind Pig must be like on tap. Anyone else feeling that it's a pretty close approximation, say those that have had both on draft?
  29. John_M

John_M Moderator (1,215) Oregon Oct 25, 2003 Staff Member Verified

IMHO, Blind Pig is a superior beer. It's got a bigger hop presence, with a much drier and bitter finish. RPM is a fine beer, but in comparison to BP, it comes across as almost light and watery. Course that's just my opinion...
    pkasten, jakecattleco and zestd like this.
  30. Blind pig as i recall is a bit more bitter, piney, floral - I actually preferred it to Pliny when was down at RR.

I would actually argue that RPM is a bit thicker mouthfeel, tropical, maltier.

I couldn't say what I prefer. And of course this is going off of a very bad recollection of BP.
  31. Gobigvt7

Gobigvt7 Savant (350) Oregon Mar 15, 2008

This batch of Blind Pig we got at Hop & Vine (or this keg perhaps?) was only 3 weeks old when we tapped it, but numerous people commented on how old it tasted and I agreed from the getgo. Still nicely balanced, but lots of that stale leaf and rusty malt characteristics. Weird.
  32. ballardbeer

ballardbeer Savant (250) Washington Nov 10, 2013

the closest thing to the pig for me is fresh-squeezed IPA. both are fantastically balanced beers. as a few people have mentioned, i also prefer the pig to PtE. i also don't doubt the validity of 3-week old pig tasting off... i've had bottles turn south in a similar time frame. so it goes with most IPAs.
  33. Kurmaraja

Kurmaraja Poobah (1,005) Illinois May 21, 2013 Verified

I'm always a skeptic about the short time span of IPAs. BUT, I will say, if you make a product that is not high quality for 3 weeks, bottle it, and then put it into a distribution system that guarantees most people will have it within 3 weeks ... you're doing something wrong. As a producer it of any commodity it is your responsibility to make sure, to the best of your ability, that your product is delivered to your customer in the best possible condition. So, I say, to any brewer that thinks their product is that fragile (and, really, I still doubt it is) do what Stone does and put a F-ing date on it.
    beertunes, NWer, ballardbeer and 2 others like this.
  34. distantmantra

[slow golf clap]

NWer, Kurmaraja and ballardbeer like this.
  35. Reino

Reino Savant (265) Oregon Aug 30, 2007

I've had multiple pints of BP that tasted like that from different places over the last year. Not sure what's going on with that beer, but it isn't tasting like I remember it.
  36. ballardbeer

ballardbeer Savant (250) Washington Nov 10, 2013

NWer and Kurmaraja like this.
  37. distantmantra

Chingadera is in in Seattle now. Got a mini-growler last night. Damn, what a great super tropical but still malt forward beer. Not a huge fan of reds/ambers (Modern Times is one of the others I really like), but it's legit.
    sharpski likes this.
  38. John_M

John_M Moderator (1,215) Oregon Oct 25, 2003 Staff Member Verified

This sums up my opinion as well in a nutshell (the beer is currently on tap at 16 tons cafe). I'm not usually a big red ale fan either, but this beer is truly outstanding.
  39. StrongRepublican

StrongRepublican Advocate (640) Colorado Jan 22, 2012 Verified

I drank a growler of Chingadera that I brought back from OR with me last night with some friends to show them what kind of amazing things are being done in the NW. Needless to say, they were impressed. Boneyard is doing great things.
    sharpski likes this.