1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Bootlegger's Grand Opening this weekend

Discussion in 'US - Pacific' started by Vanlingleipa, Mar 18, 2013.

1. Vanlingleipa

Vanlingleipa Member

Since nobody else mentioned it, good time on Saturday - indoor remodel progressing nicely, although they're still using the third grade lunchroom tables and benches. Enjoyed drinking beers that haven't been seen for a year or more: bourbon 78 Anniversary, Oaked Black Phoenix, Lambics #3 & 4, Mongo, and others. The dry hopped Citra cask Knuckle Sandwich was excellent as was the oaked cask Knuckle. They also hauled out some bottles from their cellar like BBA Imperial Black Phoenix, Galaxian and 79 Anniversary. Great launch.
    dcgunman likes this.
  2. APreacher

APreacher Member

Fun time indeed. I wish we were able to try more than the cask of citra KS. We got carried away at Bruery and had plans for evening. Will return in the future.
  3. UnknownKoger

UnknownKoger Member

so pissed I was sick and couldn't make it...lousy illness getting in the way of my beer consumption
  4. dcgunman

dcgunman Member

Was there on Saturday around 1. First stop of three that day. the Bruery and Valiant Brew Co followed. Work still in progress at Bootleggers. Looks like it's coming along nicely. Hope they put up LED/LCD monitors for the tap list. Even Valiant had monitors instead of chalkboard for their tap list and info. And they just opened last month. Outdoor bench look a little cheap as they had to put signs on the edges so that no one sits and flips over. LOL. Drunk asses!! Place looks like it used to be used as a garage before. Still not much indoor space. Be nice to see larger and better benches, heat lamps and umbrellas in the near future for the outdoor area. Another indoor space is not really being used at the moment. Plans are in the near future? Maybe a nice space for some bands to play.

Had the Lupulin Thrill IPA (first time) and it was excellent. I enjoyed it more than the KS. But the casked KS on Oak was very good too. Too bad there was no growler fills of the Lupulin. I was not going to pay twenty five bones for KS. I did leave with one bottle of KS. $8. Overall, I was very pleased with the new tasting room. But work still needs to be done. My first visit to the Bruery's new tasting room followed and it was really done up nice. Small, but very cool. For just a new brewery and just opened last month Valiant was very impressive. The special barleywine at 16.5% kicked arse.
  5. PlinyTheYoungest

PlinyTheYoungest Member

Are you talking about the small room with all the windows? That is where their pilot system is going in.

Also, I was there Friday and it was crazy busy. There was a long line to get beer early on though that went away later in the night. I missed Citra double dry hopped Knuckle Sandwich by like 30 minutes and settled for the regular version. The place is nice, tons of patio space, though those benches are pretty terrible. If you have to put tape on every bench explaining that sitting on the end will flip it, you may want to consider different benches.
    dcgunman likes this.
  6. dcgunman

dcgunman Member

No. The open space outside next to where all the benches were. It looked like another area where a garage was or use to be. There was were a few benches inside too. I saw the area with windows near the small cooler and snack stand was. Although there is more room than the old tasting room, it could of been a little bigger inside. It still gets a little chilly at night here in SoCal. I'll be going back when they start growler fills of Lupulin. That 25 bucks for KS is crazy.
    PlinyTheYoungest likes this.
  7. Vanlingleipa

Vanlingleipa Member

Then the next day after the GO was St. Paddy's Day. It was also apparently Patricia the co-owners' b-day and her family was celebrating along with all the regular patrons there for St. Paddy's day. So it was like the grand opening all over again except without cellar kegs (although if you asked, the bartenders were happy to pour what was left - the beers just weren't marked above the tap anymore).

I'll drop you a BM when that happens
    dcgunman likes this.
  8. AlexM

AlexM Member

FYI ... The new Bootleggers indeed used to be an automotive repair garage. Supposedly a kick ass pizza place is going in right next door, they might even share patios with Bootleggers. Should create nice synergy ... Think Pizza Port :)