1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

"Born on" or "Best before"

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Svendozen, Jan 15, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fmccormi

fmccormi Champion (760) New York Oct 24, 2010

Agreed. Tell me the bottling date, and if you have a guideline for optimal freshness, feel free to tell me that, too. And preferably in a clear format (something like "Bottled on: 01/15/2013 — Best by: 05/15/2013") with legible, durable ink.

2. LeRose

LeRose Advocate (595) Massachusetts Nov 24, 2011

Yes - that is true. The rules vary with the different products and how they are packaged and stored prior to sale - lots of regulations and red tape. It just all adds to the confusion where there isn't one consistent system across the board - for producers and consumers alike.

3. fredmugs

fredmugs Champion (845) Indiana Aug 11, 2012

4. That's exactly what I was thinking!
    I still think that Bottled / Canned on dating is best.
    Best by dating doesn't necessarily mean anything when it comes to freshness, just that it's "best by" this date which is the last day it's any good. Stone has an interesting concept with their IPA, but it's specifically brewed and marketed that way, kind of hard to miss that on the label.
    How long has that beer been sitting on the shelf at the store, out of refrigeration, unprotected from the light? Might be a little easier to determine how fresh that beer is with a visible, readable bottled/canned on date and make your decision making on what you're willing to pay a little different, or not.
    I also dislike the Julian dating used by some brewers as well.
    IMO.

fmccormi likes this.
  5. The date it was put into a container.

jhartley likes this.
  6. BeerFan

BeerFan Savant (320) New Jersey Feb 11, 2003

Ommegang uses both. Unibroue has a best buy on the back of the bottle and a code on the front indicating when it was bottled.

7. Spider889

Spider889 Advocate (650) Ohio Mar 24, 2010

This is why the poll feature exists.

Also pretty apparent that bottled on is preferable.

Svendozen and jhartley like this.
  8. jbeezification

jbeezification Savant (415) Texas Jun 6, 2012

Best after

Svendozen likes this.
  9. cubbyswans

cubbyswans Savant (365) Missouri Jun 10, 2008

yes I know what you were referring to... but you said

If I don't already the info from Bell's website, i don't see how I would be led to believe that a beer is fresh by it's "best by" date because a Bell's beer does not have a "best by" date it. If it is in fact 5 1/2 months old, it will be quite obvious, because in fact the bottling date is printed right on the bottle. It is in fact quite obvious to anyone regardless of what they know about Bells website exactly how old the beer they are buying is...

:confused:

10. kzoobrew

kzoobrew Champion (840) Michigan May 8, 2006

One is incomplete with out the other. Bottling date lead to uninformed people complaining about "old and out of date" beer being on shelves when they are still very much within an appropriate date range. Best by dates do not always paint a true picture of age.

Bottle dating in no way should be mandatory, there really is no reason for it. If consumers provided the breweries enough incentive, not buying beer, they would all date their bottles. Breweries keep selling and moving their product, there is zero reason for them to change their process.

JoeyBeerBelly likes this.
  11. kzoobrew

kzoobrew Champion (840) Michigan May 8, 2006

Bell's does put a Best By code on their beers however. A,B and C. Six month, Twelve months and Unlimited shelf life.

12. JoeyBeerBelly

JoeyBeerBelly Initiate (0) New York Dec 15, 2006

I was born on November 24th, 1958

I don't want to know what my expires on date is...

my vote is for born on (bottled on)!

13. BEERMILER12

BEERMILER12 Advocate (655) Maine Sep 11, 2010

As does Weyerbacher.

14. chuckstout

chuckstout Aficionado (225) Ohio May 22, 2006

I like the way Samuel Adams does it. I always check for freshness, because I am paying a good price for these beers. If I were buying swill, I would not give a hoot about a born on date.

15. if Zombie Dust had either on its label I'd be a happy man.

16. Sneers

Sneers Savant (385) New Jersey Dec 27, 2009

While packaging dates do seem somewhat better, I don't really have a preference as long as the date is labeled as either "packaged-on" or "best-by." If the brewery is already going through the trouble of bottle-dating, I'd like to know whether that beer I have my eye on was bottled two weeks ago or is two weeks past its 'expiration.'

chuckstout likes this.
  17. cubbyswans

yes but this code would not trick the unsuspecting buyer into thinking they were buying a fresh beer, as the bottling date is still there.

18. cubbyswans

lol... zombie dust lasts 5 minutes. I don't think you have to worry about old zombie dust, any time in the near future.

19. nc41

nc41 Advocate (660) North Carolina Sep 25, 2008

IMO best before dates are bull shit for IPA's. I have a few Chinnookies that the best before date is 3/13, and it's tastes like an old stale IPA. This same Online store also sent me "fresh" Jai Alai that was canned on 11/2/12, that shit is 10 weeks old right now and it tastes like it. I sent him an Email so we'll see how he responds, if not I'll out him so others won't have to waste money on stale beer.

20. I emailed them last October and got this info which i pulled from my site:

Uses a best before date and a bottled on date. From the brewer: We have a "bottled on" date on our master cartons and packaged on dates on our 12 pack. Our 22 ounce bottles will continue to have a vintage bottling date on the bottom left side of the label that is notched.

With the 12-pack container though, makes it kind of hard. Hopefully he can answer you about length between "bottled" & "best by".

21. cavedave

cavedave Champion (940) New York Mar 12, 2009

Haven't read this thread through, perhaps someone has posted this, if not here it is

fresh beer only

22. See previous post ;)

cavedave likes this.
  23. Hanzo

Hanzo Champion (955) Virginia Feb 27, 2012

When I am out in stores near beer sections I check out what people are buying, just out of curiosity, and in the years of doing this I honestly don't recall the last time I saw someone grab beer off the shelf and hunt around for dates. I still think the amount of people that check this kind of thing is extremely small (probably just us).

As for the guy telling me the brewer should set the best by date because consumers are stupid, well that may be true, your average consumer is stupid, but for those of us that aren't, I want to know when you put the beer in the bottle, and I don't really give a damn when you think it is best by, I'll decide that.

nc41 and LeRose like this.
  24. smutty33

smutty33 Advocate (650) Connecticut Jun 12, 2009

Last night I picked up a leftover single smutty pumpkin w/ a best before March 11th,2013.
    That tells me that it was bottled on Sept. 11th.As already said,smutty gives 6 months from time of bottling.

And the pumpkin ale was still nice and tasty........:)

Cheers

25. ilikebeer03

ilikebeer03 Savant (365) Texas Oct 17, 2012

I prefer both and I prefer them to be placed on the bottle in standard format ex. 1/16/13. Not a bunch of random numbers.

Svendozen likes this.
  26. Personally I love the "best after" dating. Nothing like buying a beer and being told to hold on to it for a year!

Svendozen likes this.
  27. Orval has a "bottled on" date and "best buy" date, which I think is pretty ingenious and great for the knowledgeable beer consumer. They add Brett to the beer at bottling, so it chews away at it over the course of a few years. Too fresh a bottle of Orval, and it's a somewhat bland Belgian Single. Too old a bottle, and it's a complete funk bomb and, in my opinion, kills a lot of the subtle and delicate elements of the beer. Either way, you could gauge the level of funkiness from where the present dates sits on the printed spectrum.

29. You mean the brewers who use the term "Best by:" because they figure they can't fit "Gets even worse after:" on the date stamp?

Svendozen and paulys55 like this.
  30. “Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout is my favorite Imperial Stout. Not sure what you mean by boozy but suspect that it's why i like BBCS fresh and think it loses a bit of flavor after 6 months.”

I perceive a fresh Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout as being “hot”; in other words I can taste/perceive the alcohol of that beer (which is 10% ABV). A similar beer of Old Rasputin (9% ABV) does not taste “hot” to me whatsoever and I enjoy drinking that beer fresh.

When I age a Black Chocolate Stout a year it tastes significantly different to me. The “hot” is gone and I enjoy the complex flavors that result from a year of aging. I have never aged this beer longer (e.g., 2 years or more) but I suspect that this beer would get even better with additional aging.

Everybody has a different plate and different sensitivity to varying flavors.

Cheers!

31. I have a friend who ages BBCS and has for years. I've drank some of his that was 6 years old. He claims it mellows out . I claim it fades. As you said everyone plate is different. That's a good thing, otherwise these forums would be boring.

32. I think I would agree with you at that age. But I had a side by side of a fresh and one year old and the difference was amazing. IMO...definately better at a year. Six years however...meh..

33. Which is why I'm not too excited anymore about trading quality beer for IPA's with no date (Heady.... to name a big one)

34. BeastLU

BeastLU Advocate (530) Virginia Dec 20, 2012

Its crazy how people think all brewers are hippies who just want every body to have the best time of their lives. They are businesses, period. And they have to rely on wholesales and retailers to help keep beer fresh. They want you to spend money on the stuff they make. duh. Its in every one's interest to extend the dates as far as reasonably possible. Its up to you to decide if you want to buy fresh beer or old beer.

35. Alilley

Alilley Aficionado (110) Georgia Dec 23, 2010

That can not be. On 01/03/13 i was drinking a Smuttynose Fineskind with a best by date of 06/06/13. I posted a thread and it was deleted. It did not taste fresh to me either. Why do these dates need to be rocket science?

36. Both dates and the brewery decides. There is the Bells example with the bottle date and the A,B,C code.

In Germany Uerige has the filled and best by date on the bottle, 8 weeks for the beer to be good.

37. When the cap leaves the womb and goes on the bottle.

38. I think the "Best By" dates are for the benefit of the brewer, distributor, and retailer.

ShogoKawada likes this.
  39. smutty33

smutty33 Advocate (650) Connecticut Jun 12, 2009

Oh it can be.....trust me,e-mail the brewery if you doubt it.They are gonna tell you the same.
    That finestkind was bottled on December 6,2012.

Maybe you got a bad bottle?

Cheers

40. lurchingbeast

lurchingbeast Initiate (0) Illinois Feb 19, 2009

I don't foresee this perfectly sound logic carrying the day.

paulys55 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.