1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Bottle bombs cause?

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by ipas-for-life, Dec 5, 2012.

1. ipas-for-life

ipas-for-life Savant (400) Virginia Feb 28, 2012

I brewed a beer with blueberry puree added to the primary after 3 weeks of fermentation. I did not transfer it to a secondary. The bottles carbed for 3 weeks and tasted good. One case sat at room temp for another month. Opened one the other day and it volcanoed out the top. Opened a few more they were even worse. Decided to open the rest to avoid possible bottle bombs.

When the beer was drinkable I noticed there would be some puree sediment in the bottom. My theory is that the bottles continued to carb because of the leftover puree. Does this sound right?
  2. MMAJYK

MMAJYK Savant (455) Georgia Jun 26, 2007

If everything wasnt done fermenting before you bottled, it will continue in the bottle, thus causing bottle bombs and over carbing. That's why it's always good to check your gravity 2-3 times to make sure it's stable before you bottle.

Other than that, an infection can cause gushers, which is basically wild yeast or bacteria still chomping away at sugars left behind in the beer.

No matter what's in the bottom of the bottle, if the sugar is fermented out, it's gone. That doesnt matter.
  3. mattbk

mattbk Savant (390) New York Dec 12, 2011

how much priming sugar did you add?
  4. ipas-for-life

3.5 oz of priming sugar
  5. mattbk

mattbk Savant (390) New York Dec 12, 2011

yeah, that seems fine.

did you say you added the puree after three weeks in the primary then went straight to bottling? ie did you bottle immediately after you added the puree?

if so, then you should have waited until the blueberry finished fermenting out. if it didnt, and you added more priming sugar on top of the puree, that would explain it. fruit contains a lot of sugar.

if you didnt do this - i would have to guess its an infection.
  6. ipas-for-life

I added the puree and let it sit for a week. However I did not take a gravity reading after it was added. I was hoping it wasn't an infection because I have tried to be careful with my sanitation. At least I caught it before it got worse.
  7. jbakajust1

jbakajust1 Moderator (500) Oregon Aug 25, 2009 Staff Member

I had the same problem with a Saison that I had Apricot Puree in primary and ended up with some puree in the bottles, all were gushers.
  8. VikeMan

VikeMan Advocate (740) Pennsylvania Jul 12, 2009

Probably. Bottle bombs or gushers are the result of overcarbonation. There are about 4 things that can cause overcarbonation...

- Continued fermentation in the bottle of fermentables that had not finished fermenting before bottling.
    - Infection, fermenting otherwise non-fermentable stuff
    - Too much priming sugar for the volume of beer and/or poor mixing before bottling
    - Adding a more attenuative yeast strain than the original strain at bottling time