1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Bottle Count for Cascade Figaro?

Discussion in 'US - Northwest' started by landhoney, May 4, 2012.

1. maltmaster420

maltmaster420 Savant (450) Oregon Aug 17, 2005

You have no chance to survive make your time!

side note: the fact that this meme is 12 years old (and remembering it spread) makes me feel like an internet geezer.
    Kopfschuss likes this.
  2. You haven't really lived until you've gotten the base, base, base techno version stuck in your head.
  3. All your Sang Noir are belong to us?
    davey101 likes this.
  4. Kopfschuss

Kopfschuss Advocate (530) Oregon Aug 19, 2009

I recently (within the last month) had Figaro on tap and it was incredible. Was my fav of the flight.
  5. Its ok on tap, nothing mindblowing. But for the bottles to be delayed 3-4 months is a serious bad sign
  6. bfg75

bfg75 Aficionado (230) Washington Feb 26, 2011

Yeah, I agree. It was decent but I've had far better from Cascade and the delay is likely not a good sign for the bottles.
  7. hopsbreath

hopsbreath Savant (475) Oregon Aug 28, 2009

There was some pretty stark difference between tap and bottle versions of Sang Noir. Draft was great! Bottles...anybody wanna trade? I might be doing this wrong. I'm less than optimistic about bottles and a decent draft pour isn't encouraging.
  8. John_M

John_M Moderator (1,100) Oregon Oct 25, 2003 Staff Member

I thought the same. Given what I'd heard about the beer before I tried it, I didn't hold out much hope that I would like it much (figured the sour flavor component would be overwhelming), but I thought it was terrific.
    Kopfschuss likes this.
  9. LoPo87

LoPo87 Aficionado (235) Oregon Mar 9, 2012

Well, Cascade finally announced a release date for Figaro. It is being released Thursday, August 23rd with a 2 bottle limit per person. No online sales as previously stated.
  10. Incorrect.

In SF its the 23rd. 24th for Portland. Thank god too, 23rd is hood to coast and will be brutal work day for me.
  11. LoPo87

I stand corrected
  12. I'm going to guess this doesn't sell out the first weekend. Just a hunch.
  13. csano

csano Initiate (0) Washington Sep 21, 2010

I agree. I don't think they've sold out of Strawberry yet, either. There seemed to be plenty of bottles in the fridge when I was there last week.

Has anyone had Figaro yet? I wasn't too impressed. It was good, but definitely not up there with the other Cascade beers. My expectations were probably too high.
  14. oregonskibum

oregonskibum Savant (405) Oregon Mar 14, 2009

Actually, HTC starts Friday 8/24. I'll be running about the time of the release, so I hope it doesn't sell out immediately!
  15. I guess everyone from out of state is coming in the 23rd then. Lots of van rentals...so many...
  16. hopsbreath

But it's rare! Considering the current state of beer trading nothing else matters. Yeah the beer is meh, but what's the trade value? I predict a "what's it going for" thread before next weekend's over.
  17. This is Portland. Nothing sour sells out the first day except for Cantillon.
    aedeos likes this.
  18. hopsbreath

It's not the Portlander's I'm expecting to do the hyping/muling/buying. It is the Portlander's that will be blamed for the hoarding though.
    black13 and LoPo87 like this.
  19. KellerBrau

KellerBrau Zealot (75) Oregon Oct 13, 2010

I had it last night from the barrel. I thought it was very tasty, but it certainly fell short of life-changing (expected based on the hype). For me, The Vine stands above it as far as their blonde/golden varieties go.

And as of last night, they do indeed still have Strawberry in stock.
  20. Kopfschuss

Kopfschuss Advocate (530) Oregon Aug 19, 2009

more for me to hoard I guess...
  21. landhoney

landhoney Savant (300) Florida Apr 19, 2007

Maybe the bottles will be better? :(
  22. kscaldef

kscaldef Advocate (680) Oregon Jun 11, 2010

Has there really been hype, or just a long wait? If anything, people seem to be aggressively adjusting expectations downward based on the seemingly never-ending delays.
    Kopfschuss likes this.
  23. Shmeal

Shmeal Advocate (520) Oregon Nov 9, 2009

I agree, the hype train certainly left the station, got halfway across the country, and derailed before reaching its destination.
  24. mcc1654

mcc1654 Savant (355) Illinois Mar 20, 2011

I wish they would bottle the Honey Ginger Lime. Had it last night along with every other sour they had. It was my favorite by far. Figaro was good but probably wouldn't pay $20 for a bottle.
    libbey, aedeos, eyeenjoybeer and 2 others like this.
  25. w_klon

w_klon Aficionado (200) Oregon Aug 1, 2012

yes, honey ginger lime is awesome!
  26. I agree with most folks here - Figaro is quite meh and almost medicine-y to my tastes, and nearly every other sour offering at Cascade is better. Honey Ginger Lime has been a summer go-to beverage....yummm!
  27. aedeos

aedeos Aficionado (150) Washington Dec 15, 2007

Honey Ginger Lime is possibly the easiest drinking beer I've ever had. I could kill three growlers of that in a day and not even be bummed.
  28. landhoney

Does anyone know if their Summer Gose is still on tap? (the "easiest drinking" comment made me think of this great beer, to me it was the perfect easy-drinking summer beer....and it was available in growlers)
  29. bum732

bum732 Advocate (630) Lesotho Feb 18, 2008

It was last week. One of the best Gose's i've ever had (though, i've only had a few examples of the style)
    Lordkrystic likes this.
  30. aedeos

They almost always have a gose on from what I can tell
  31. landhoney

I agree, not the most traditional maybe, but I don't care, it was an excellent beer to drink in the summer.
  32. John_M

John_M Moderator (1,100) Oregon Oct 25, 2003 Staff Member

That's true, but they have 4 different versions, one for each season. If memory serves, last time I was at the barrel house in the latter part of July, I think they had 2 different versions on tap.

While they're all pretty good, the recipes are different for each gose. My personal preference was the Autumn gose, but again, they're all pretty good.
  33. aedeos

Ahhh, I see your point. Yeah, I've yet to try them all. I've only had the winter (which I loved). But I'm excited to see what's there.
  34. Shmeal

[​IMG]

Still delicious on tap. Elderberry is good too!
    Kopfschuss likes this.
  35. podunkparte

podunkparte Initiate (0) Washington Nov 14, 2009

Yes, summer gose was on at the barrel house as of yesterday.
  36. kscaldef

Anyone crack a bottle yet?
  37. Shmeal

We are all too scared I think!
  38. Spaceloaf

Spaceloaf Aficionado (215) Oregon Nov 27, 2008

Are you expecting it to be significantly different from the bottle than from the cask? Personally I won't be cracking a bottle until they at least stop serving it at the Barrel House.
  39. kscaldef

Given that it was bottled quite some time ago, I would indeed expect some difference from what's coming out of a barrel now.
  40. LoPo87

Why not ask that guy that hoarded 20 bottles of Figaro...he should have one he can crack open