1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Bottle opener

Discussion in 'Breweriana' started by dazedandconfused, Feb 28, 2012.

1. Here's one of the bottle openers that I made. Been collecting caps and am extremely picky. Needed one that didn't scratch, dent, or warp the cap. I'll take pics of the others if interested.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

JxExM, Fujii13, Hanzo and 5 others like this.
  2. That is a pretty good looking opener. Well done.

3. BrewerB

BrewerB Savant (430) Florida Mar 5, 2008

That is awesome! I'm typically using a lighter to pry off caps since the other openers I have manage to dent the cap in some way. Lighter doesn't work 100% of the time but it's generally successful.

I'd love a bottle opener like this one so let me know if you're ever selling one!

4. MordorMongo

MordorMongo Initiate (0) Jul 19, 2009

That is awesome. Do let me know if you ever plan to sell one as well!

5. Nice design. Is it forge welded ??

LostTraveler likes this.
  6. stevefinny

stevefinny Savant (365) New Jersey Aug 28, 2009

Awesome Bottle opener.

7. How did you make it?

8. I want one.

9. PaulQuinn

PaulQuinn Savant (295) Brazil May 27, 2011

That's a very nice looking bottle opener, and functional as you say. Great job.

10. Made it out of 3/16 steel, mig welded, and smoothed out.

RBCORCORAN likes this.
  11. Cut the base out of sheet metal with a plasma cutter, used a drill press for the chamfered holes. Then for the prying section, bent and shaped it out of 12 gauge and welded it together. Left it unpainted cause I like the way it looks.

12. Wow didn't expect the kind of reception it got. Pretty much make these in my spare time at work. Never thought about selling them. Wouldn't know what to charge. Since its made by hand, kinda takes a while. Guess I'll start making more lol.

13. lpotter

lpotter Savant (305) Pennsylvania Dec 13, 2008

Yeah, I would totally buy one of those. It looks awesome!

14. BnjmnDdd

BnjmnDdd Initiate (0) Oklahoma Feb 27, 2012

I would buy one. Look in etsy.com for homemade bottle openers to see what they are charging for a comparison. I'm always looking for a good bottle opener that won't bend the cap.

dazedandconfused likes this.
  15. Yeah I definitely need to look into setting a price and making time to produce a bunch. Handmade so they could take a while.

16. Brushkanna

Brushkanna Savant (365) New Jersey Jun 27, 2011

Paint can/bottle openers by Hyde work well and do not mar the cap

17. BnjmnDdd

Looking at it now. Awesome thanks!

18. BnjmnDdd

That just means quality! I love products people have thought up and put their time and effort into. I always feel they are worth more than the mass- produced ones.

19. this could be referring to beer as well.

BnjmnDdd likes this.
  20. polishkaz

polishkaz Savant (455) Connecticut May 30, 2011

21. I would buy that also! thats gotta be one of the neatest bottle openers I've ever seen. Sounds like you should let us all know when you have extras to sell. Handmade things are always better and worth the price that is asked...plus, it makes for a better conversation piece: "oh my bottle opener! yeah, i love it. A brilliant guy on BA made it....etc...." OR "oh, my bottle opener, $2 at walmart" (and you know the one from walmart will break in a month or so!)

22. Haha I appreciate it.

23. Very cool. I'd definitely pay or ship some beer for them shits.

24. EROCK75

EROCK75 Savant (340) Illinois Aug 5, 2009

I have always found the decapper to be the best way to remove caps without scratching. It typically lifts the sides slightly without bending the top.

http://www.thedecapper.com/

25. sfsean28

sfsean28 Savant (425) New Jersey Dec 17, 2008

Nice! Thats a cool bottle opener and I'm impressed that you made it yourself. Classy avatar too.

26. output01x

output01x Savant (295) Ohio Feb 18, 2011

How far does it pull the sides out? Does it scratch the top or sides at all?

27. JrGtr

JrGtr Savant (390) Massachusetts Apr 13, 2006

I made my own bottle openers out of a peice of 1 x 2 wood (maple, because of the hardness) and a sheet metal screw. Doesn't do any damage to the cap, and was pretty easy to make. Unfortunately don't have any pictures.

28. I would definitely buy one of those. Please let us know if you decide to make them and sell them.

29. Really nice

30. EROCK75

EROCK75 Savant (340) Illinois Aug 5, 2009

It seems to never scratch the top, and if done correctly, does not scratch the sides either. Most of the time it's not blatently obvious where the side is bent. More gradual and not all in one spot.

31. output01x

output01x Savant (295) Ohio Feb 18, 2011

Interesting. I may need to purchase this item in the near future. Having something like this on hand would be great when you are having a beer with friends and don't want to take 5 minutes slowly removing the cap for your collection.

32. duceswild

duceswild Advocate (740) Maryland Feb 8, 2010

I'd be interested in one of these too. They look great!

33. Hanzo

Hanzo Champion (955) Virginia Feb 27, 2012

I'd buy that for a dollar!

I'd pay ten bucks for one.

34. polishkaz

polishkaz Savant (455) Connecticut May 30, 2011

Got this hand forged by Hammeronsteel yesterday and finished in front of my eyes while it was still hot(also opened 2 beers with it while holding it with tongs). Made from a high carbon railroad spike. Really awesome and works great, removes the caps nicely.

[​IMG]
    photo by PolishKaz, on Flickr

TubaManJack and MammothTarantula like this.